Jump to content

Is there a term for this?


Guest Xie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest Xie

So for years I’ve been questioning if I’m aromantic, or if I’m on the aro spectrum. I’ve felt romantic attraction before, and am thrilled when that attraction is reciprocated. I love doing typically romantic things, such as kissing and cuddling, or going on dates. However, once I enter a relationship, my feelings always fade.
 

I thought it might have been a matter of not meeting the right person, but I’ve dated many people over many years and nothing ever changes. Doing my own research, I found a few terms that come close to what I experience, such as bellusromantic (enjoying traditionally romantic things but not experiencing romantic attraction or desire for a romantic relationship), grey romantic, and adventeromantic (having infrequent romantic attraction) but none of them describe me.

As stated above, I experience romantic attraction, and I experience it frequently. I know how to differentiate between platonic and romantic attraction. I just can’t seem to form a lasting romantic attraction no matter what. Is there a term for this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

frayromantic perhaps? i dont think theres a term describing this specific experience rn

53 minutes ago, AromanticAardvark said:

There is! It sounds like maybe lithromanticism https://aromantic.fandom.com/wiki/Lithromantic

op said theyre thrilled when attraction is reciprocated tho; they implied that they dont mind it being reciprocated but its just that once they get into a romantic relationship the attraction fades so i dont think this term describes that experience close enough tbh

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mivoei said:

frayromantic perhaps? i dont think theres a term describing this specific experience rn

op said theyre thrilled when attraction is reciprocated tho; they implied that they dont mind it being reciprocated but its just that once they get into a romantic relationship the attraction fades so i dont think this term describes that experience close enough tbh

The definition of lithromanticism is actually pretty vague, and one of the definitions is the attraction fading when you get into a relationship with them (I can't attach a screenshot bc the file is too big, but just control+F "Experiencing discomfort upon entering a romantic relationship with a crush" in the link I sent)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AromanticAardvark said:

The definition of lithromanticism is actually pretty vague, and one of the definitions is the attraction fading when you get into a relationship with them (I can't attach a screenshot bc the file is too big, but just control+F "Experiencing discomfort upon entering a romantic relationship with a crush" in the link I sent)

i see! i just thought that overall lithoromantic means someone who may experience romantic attraction that doesnt want it to be reciprocated due to being repulsed; uncomfortable or some other reason. the definition didnt really say they would usually want to participate in a relationship but ofc that doesnt cover all lithoromantic experiences. thank you for the extra info

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mivoei said:

i see! i just thought that overall lithoromantic means someone who may experience romantic attraction that doesnt want it to be reciprocated due to being repulsed; uncomfortable or some other reason. the definition didnt really say they would usually want to participate in a relationship but ofc that doesnt cover all lithoromantic experiences. thank you for the extra info

Dw! That's the most-common definition, so it makes sense that that's the one you would know

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...