Is there a term for this?

Guest Xie

So for years I’ve been questioning if I’m aromantic, or if I’m on the aro spectrum. I’ve felt romantic attraction before, and am thrilled when that attraction is reciprocated. I love doing typically romantic things, such as kissing and cuddling, or going on dates. However, once I enter a relationship, my feelings always fade.

I thought it might have been a matter of not meeting the right person, but I’ve dated many people over many years and nothing ever changes. Doing my own research, I found a few terms that come close to what I experience, such as bellusromantic (enjoying traditionally romantic things but not experiencing romantic attraction or desire for a romantic relationship), grey romantic, and adventeromantic (having infrequent romantic attraction) but none of them describe me.

As stated above, I experience romantic attraction, and I experience it frequently. I know how to differentiate between platonic and romantic attraction. I just can’t seem to form a lasting romantic attraction no matter what. Is there a term for this?

frayromantic perhaps? i dont think theres a term describing this specific experience rn

53 minutes ago, AromanticAardvark said:

There is! It sounds like maybe lithromanticism https://aromantic.fandom.com/wiki/Lithromantic

op said theyre thrilled when attraction is reciprocated tho; they implied that they dont mind it being reciprocated but its just that once they get into a romantic relationship the attraction fades so i dont think this term describes that experience close enough tbh

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mivoei said:

frayromantic perhaps? i dont think theres a term describing this specific experience rn

op said theyre thrilled when attraction is reciprocated tho; they implied that they dont mind it being reciprocated but its just that once they get into a romantic relationship the attraction fades so i dont think this term describes that experience close enough tbh

The definition of lithromanticism is actually pretty vague, and one of the definitions is the attraction fading when you get into a relationship with them (I can't attach a screenshot bc the file is too big, but just control+F "Experiencing discomfort upon entering a romantic relationship with a crush" in the link I sent)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AromanticAardvark said:

The definition of lithromanticism is actually pretty vague, and one of the definitions is the attraction fading when you get into a relationship with them (I can't attach a screenshot bc the file is too big, but just control+F "Experiencing discomfort upon entering a romantic relationship with a crush" in the link I sent)

i see! i just thought that overall lithoromantic means someone who may experience romantic attraction that doesnt want it to be reciprocated due to being repulsed; uncomfortable or some other reason. the definition didnt really say they would usually want to participate in a relationship but ofc that doesnt cover all lithoromantic experiences. thank you for the extra info

1 minute ago, mivoei said:

i see! i just thought that overall lithoromantic means someone who may experience romantic attraction that doesnt want it to be reciprocated due to being repulsed; uncomfortable or some other reason. the definition didnt really say they would usually want to participate in a relationship but ofc that doesnt cover all lithoromantic experiences. thank you for the extra info

Dw! That's the most-common definition, so it makes sense that that's the one you would know

• Like 1