Do you have voices of people you know in your head?

Holmbo

It seems to me that it's fairly common for people to have internal voices of people they know. Like they imagine what their best friend would say in a situation or when they think something critical it's always in their moms voice.

I'm curious about how common that is because I always only think in my own voice.

Aaaaah the infamous voices....

For me, I have quite the number... And that concern the best friend's voice to the mom's one, to the famous celebrities' one.

2 hours ago, Holmbo said:

Like they imagine what their best friend would say in a situation or when they think something critical it's always in their moms voice.

True for the mom's one: every time I think to do something that I know my parents wouldn't approve or that is quite stupid, I would alway have my 'mom or dad voice' nagging me in the head. And it would be arguing with my best friend arguments' and voice's...

But I don't really imagine what they would say, it's litteraly just me who argument against myself in two different voices : the one I link with security and reason and the other one that is little wilder.

And altought I use my own voice to think most of the times, It happened to me to randomly think in a totally different tone and voice for no reason. And it can be anyone ! Last time, I spent 3 hours thinking in the voice of Martin Freeman.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think most people actually hear it in the other person's voice (although my Dad does - he'll take on a person's accent when he's quoting them). For me, it's more that I tell myself things that person would have told me, often without consciously thinking of who said that to me. For example, I'll make a mistake and immediately call myself stupid.     

• 2 months later...

I was going to say I only hear my own voice but thinking about it I do hear things in my grandmother's voice. More specifically the voice she uses to train her dogs. Not trick words like sit and stay, but emotive words to tell the dog how she is feeling. So I guess the way she says it is actually more important than the word itself, which is why I hear her voice saying it like she does sometimes?

Archived