Aromantic Character Headcanons

Every time I'm playing a video game and a non-romanceable companion gives some reason like "I'm too busy for romance" they go straight to my aro list, no questions asked. Especially Vivienne from Dragon Age Inquisition is extra close to my heart, she just gives off such strong aro vibes! 

Also also also: pretty much every robot/alien/occult being/god-whatever is totally aro (and nonbinary!). They don't understand our weird human notions of romance and gender and other nonsense.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:37 PM, nonmerci said:

I think Diana from Anne with an E may be somewhere on the aro spectrum. Maybe that's just because I would enjoy a character from this show to be so. But she doesn't seem very interested in romance for herself, in particularly compared to the other girls who all want to date. She only noticed and showed interest in Jerry after Jerry offered to walk her home (which was considered romantic if I understood; she was suprised to find him ready to walk with her). And as the actress who played her said herself, Diana may have kissed him, but she wasn't in love with him : she only dated him because he is from a different world and be with him gave her an illusion of freedom : she escaped her house and all its rules. But when she realized how different they are, she didn't enjoy his company anymore because they have nothing to talk about. And when she compares her experience to other girls, it was clear for her she didn't love him.

So she may noot be aro, but if it was revealed she was on the spectrum, I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, she and Anne can be seen as QPPs, totally.

I love the idea of Diana being arospec. I haven't watched "Anne with an E" but I remember a scene from the book where Anne and her friends are all writing lots of stories together. There's one girl who puts "too much lovemaking" in her stories, but Diana puts in too many murders, haha!

• Like 1

Cloud Striffe from FF7. I know there is atempted romantic subplots an the fandom love romantic triangle with that,  but i got a feeling.

Like, maybe demi romantic or aro, idk. He dont seems to care a lot for romance in general. He is more focused on his mission. Plus a general feeling

Well, if you think about it he is very mentaly ill, but the two are not mutually exlusive (hello). I have no feelings about whether this theorical aromantism is affected by that. Maybe in some way, maybe not that much.

But hey, that's just my headcanon

Rohan sensei from JoJo as aro/ace obliously. Manga > stupid human interactions

I also headcanon Kira as grayro (I really do believe that he almost fell for Shinobu) and Jonathan as graysex. Never thought about the rest tho

Someone probably already posted this, but I've always headcannoned Elsa as aro/ace due to her lack of a love interest. A lot of people believe she's a lesbian, but she has yet to give anyone the infamous Look™.

Writing this I now realize that might be one of the reasons I loved her so much lol.

• Like 2

At this point if Avocado man isn't aroace I will eat my nonexistent hat

This entire post puts it better than I could: https://ririruby.tumblr.com/post/167837460432/tumblr-ver-of-my-aroace-amami-receipts-thread-on

He even has aro color scheme given his hair often looks almost green come on-

Rantaro (4) by ApeironStella

Spoiler

He just wants to travel and want to know his sisters are safe and have a QPR to travel around the world looking for them with and ends up constantly being an awkward potato when people hit on him when he is just trying to be polite and get along with people and really doesn't have that kind of interest in them

• Like 1

i haven't had a look through to see if anyone has mentioned her, but i've always headcanoned Miranda Barlow from Black Sails as aro-bi!

Black Sails - Miranda Barlow

ETA: How could i forget the OG Varric Tethras from Dragon Age!!

Inquisition

Edited by nisse
added Varric

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read through the whole thread so I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but Sunakawa Makoto from Ore Monogatari ("My Love Story") strikes me as intentionally aro-coded. He's established early on as having a history of rejecting every girl who's asked him out, he's vague and evasive when pressed on whether he wants a relationship, and there are a couple of episodes that focus on him dealing with conflicts that many aros can relate to (wanting his best friend to prioritize him over his (the friend's) girlfriend while he (Suna) is going through a difficult time, but believing he's wrong to want that; trying to date someone he likes and respects, but finding that he's still not able to reciprocate her romantic feelings). Even though he isn't explicitly stated to be aromantic, I really like him as aro representation because of his compassion and loyalty, and how his friends refuse to make him a lesser priority even when he thinks they should. He's reserved and undemonstrative, but he isn't depicted as unfeeling like aromantic characters sometimes are, and the narrative validates that he is deserving of love and support in his platonic relationships.

The show does center a romance, so it might not be a good fit for people who are romance-repulsed or just find that kind of thing intolerably boring. It's a low-drama and generally sweet/fluffy romance, so for me it was worth sitting through those parts to get to the aro content. 

• Like 1

First one: Spock. I am a bit parted about this one because while I feel that he is totally aro I also feel that 1: Is it really good rep to say that "oh yeah this character who can turn off all his emotions and even if he does thinks emotionally sometimes he says he'd never do anything emotionally and he is aro!"? and also I ship him with Kirk so there's that.  it is abit hard to see characters as aro when you want to see them as it bcs hey rep!! but also you ship so much... yeah that's my problem...

Second: Rey from Star Wars. I was so freaking angry at that kiss! Like no I saw them as sibings by love! Not lovers!!! URG! I totally head-canon her as aro!

Third: Thalia and Reyna from PJO and HOO. They're hunters, what more do I need to say? Also I think that Reyna just tried to feel "normal" by making up crushes on Jason and Percy, she wasn't actually romantically attracted to them. She just wanted to be, since that made her feel normal.

Foruth: Yeah okay Artemis and all her followers. Do I need to follow up on this? Also no she was not in love with Orion, he was in love with her and tried to frk rape her and then he was dead.

Okay that's all of the ones I can think of atm...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WilmaW said:

Foruth: Yeah okay Artemis and all her followers. Do I need to follow up on this? Also no she was not in love with Orion, he was in love with her and tried to frk rape her and then he was dead.

Are you talking about Rick Riordan's books, or Greek mythology? Wasn't it Merope that he raped, not Artemis?

@WilmaW since you mentioned hoo, i feel the need to plug my old post:

On 5/28/2018 at 9:42 PM, aro_elise said:

i found a good one today, lads.  so i'd read rick riordan's 'heroes of olympus' series and thought it would be awesome if there were an aro child of aphrodite but i hadn't considered piper, 'cause, you know, jason.  then they show up in 'the trials of apollo' series ('the burning maze' spoilers ahead) and they've broken up and these lines of dialogue had me like ?:

piper: jason's great.  he's my closest friend, even more than annabeth.  but whatever i thought was there, my happily-ever-after...it just wasn't.

apollo: your relationship was born in crisis.  such romances are difficult to sustain once the crisis is over.

piper: it wasn't just that.

apollo: *anecdote about an ex*

piper: it was me.

apollo: what do you mean it was you?  you mean you realized you didn't love jason?  that's no one's fault.

narration: she grimaced, as if i (apollo) still hadn't grasped what she meant...or perhaps she wan't sure herself.

piper: i know it's nobody's fault.  i do love him.  but...like i told you, hera forced us together--the marriage goddess, arranging a happy couple.  my memories of starting to date jason, our first few months together, were a total illusion.  then, as soon as i found that out, before i could even process what it meant, aphrodite claimed me.  my mom, the goddess of love.  aphrodite pushed me into thinking i was...that i needed to...look at me, the great charmspeaker (she has the power to bend people to her will with her words).  i don't even have words.  aphrodite expects her daughters to wrap men around our little fingers, break their hearts, et cetera.

apollo: yes.  your mother has definite ideas about how romance should be.

piper: so if you take that away, the goddess of marriage pushing me to settle down with a nice boy, the goddess of love pushing me to be the perfect romantic lady or whatever--

apollo: you're wondering who you are without all that pressure.

ohhh man.  it's perfect.  and rick's sooo great with representation that...i mean, not getting my hopes up, but how awesome would a canon aro piper be?  anyway, that's one of my favourite headcanons of all time.

right?!

On 8/7/2020 at 9:19 PM, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Are you talking about Rick Riordan's books, or Greek mythology? Wasn't it Merope that he raped, not Artemis?

Well, both actually. And also when it comes to greek mythology there are so many versions of every myth, in some Artemis was supposed to have been in love with him and in som he raped Merope, in some he raped Artemis. There's not one right way to read the myths, and everyone has to choose for themselves.

In HoO I'm not sure if Rick specified that, as I remember it was something vague like "He fell in love in Artemis and then they both left and only Artemis returned bcs Orion was dead" and it wasn't specified who killed him either, I think? (Some myths says Artemis killed him, some says Apollo did)

15 hours ago, aro_elise said:

@WilmaW since you mentioned hoo, i feel the need to plug my old post:

right?!

Yeah, I agree! Tots gonna start headcanon Piper as aro now!

2 hours ago, WilmaW said:

Well, both actually. And also when it comes to greek mythology there are so many versions of every myth, in some Artemis was supposed to have been in love with him and in som he raped Merope, in some he raped Artemis. There's not one right way to read the myths, and everyone has to choose for themselves.

Ohhhh, ok. That makes sense. I've only ever heard the Merope version. I just wasn't sure because I know Riordan takes a lot of, uh, Creative Liberties™ with his... "interpretations" of mythology (Like, Hekate and Set being evil? Lmao ok Christian), and I've known a lot of people who talk about mythology as if it's exclusive to Rick Riordan's books without knowing/caring about any of the background behind it, so I wasn't sure which you meant.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought of Rainbow Dash from MLP as an Aromantic Asexual, and since they didn't confirm Rainbow and Applejack were dating it is still a possibility they just remained very close friends

On 4/15/2016 at 4:34 PM, Vega said:

Speaking of Disney/Pixar movies, I always see Merida from Brave as aro. The whole conflict is her not wanting to get married. 

Granted, you can say it's just because she's too young and not interested in any of the potential suitors etc. but I choose to see her as fundamentally uninterested in romance. 

There is absolutely no way she wasnt Aro, idc what others say 

• 1 month later...

I don't think anyone from Warrior Nun is aromantic atm but I do think Ava and the nuns are in a companionate relationship. They act so close, like they mean everything to each other, and they really only want to prioritize each other in terms of relationships...but except for Ava and Beatrice, and Shannon and Mary, I just don't see any of it as romantic. They just wanted to devote their lives to each other over men.

Edited by Finn

Ophelia from Sweet/Vicious is aromantic or gray-romantic bisexual. She prefers hookups and hanging out with friends over committed relationships, there's a comment in the first episode about her being attracted to all genders, and she just really never shows romantic feelings toward anyone. I do absolutely love Juphelia but that's also not canon and I feel like it kind of says something if Ophelia has only just started to fall in love once in 21 years after knowing Jules for several months, and seems to have a lot of trouble figuring that out despite already knowing she's bi.

Lauren from Faking it is a straight aro and so is Liam. They're fwb. Lauren had been dealing with a lot of insecurities from her ex finding out she was intersex and then she met a hot guy who was really into her and she just ran with it. With Liam, he's always shown more interest in his friendship with Shane and with having sex with girls but has never wanted commitment or felt romance no matter how much he tries.

And Karma is gray-romantic/quoiromantic bi. She was so confused over her feelings for both Amy and LIam, and then with that one guy Wade she mostly wanted him for sex. I think it fits really well for her to not really understand what romance is or whether she's feeling it.

Also I change my mind about Warrior Nun. Camilla and Lilith are both aro and Mary, Ava, and most of the nuns are bi. Beatrice is canonically a lesbian. Lilith is also asexual. I think a lot of these women just didn't see any way out of marrying and dating men and also felt that they had been called to fight demons because of their lack of interest in dating and marriage. Lilith especially, and I think part of the reason she felt so strongly that she was supposed to be the next in line for the Halo was that she'd never been attracted to anyone and had assumed that meant God was calling her to be the next Warrior Nun because of her supposed "purity"...until she found out asexuality was a thing. 

Emma and Hook from Once Upon a Time are both arospec bi. Zelena is a straight aro and so is Cora. Hook and Emma had never really wanted commitment or met anyone who understood them and their limits, until each other. Zelena and Cora just always seem to prioritiize other things over romance and seem largely indifferent to it.

Jason from The Good Place is a straight aro. He loves Janet and Tahani as friends and sexual partners but has never felt romantic attraction.

Tiff from Bonding is a bi aro. Pete just seems like a QPP to me, and she never shows romantic attraction in the show as far as I remember.

All the circus characters from The Greatest Showman except for Anne, Barnum, and Carlyle are aromantic and bisexual (Anne, Barnum, and Carlyle are also bi, but not aro). Also, Charity is bi and Barnum is nonbinary. None of the characters are ever attracted to anyone and just want to commit to each other. Also, I love shows and movies that prioritize a close relationship between friends who want to devote their lives to each other.

Henry and October from The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod are both aromantic bisexuals. Snow is also bisexual and so is Vlad. Joss is gay. The way Henry has always made it clear to girls that he's not going to do anything romantic with them and is just interested in sex reminds me a lot of aromanticism, and he just seemed really bothered by Melissa's efforts to be romantic and insist on him also being romantic, and it made him act unlike himself and stressed him out and he just didn't really seem to have mental energy for anything else. He seemed happier after he and Melissa broke up, and then I think when he met October he mostly saw her as a friend who he was sexually attracted to and was glad to meet a like-minded person who understood his limits and capabilities and felt the same way, and she felt the same way toward him. Snow and October definitely used to date, and October isn't romance-repulsed but her inability to feel romantic bothered Snow so they broke up. Also, Vlad has absolutely had a crush on Henry at some point but he eventually got over it. As for Joss, he definitely seems to have a crush on Vlad that he won't admit to himself and only thought he was interested in Meredith because he was jealous of her and because she was pretty and popular and she seemed like the kind of girl he should have a crush on.

Edited by Finn

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if I said it before but Cinderella from the musical/movie Into the Woods. She doesn't seem to love the Prince, but the castle's life.

In the song A very nice prince, she is just your fellow aromantic trying to talk about an amazing festival, but is constantly annoyed by her allo friend who wants to talk about the Prince instead.

• Like 1

Toph from Avatar the Last Airbender is aroace. I maintain that her "crush" on Sokka was just because he was the first boy she had ever been close to so didn't realize it was just platonic.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned Joey on Friends a while back in this thread. I agree about that and I'm trying to think of some specific scene which showcase this. I want to use it for my third aromantic moments video.

Does anyone have suggestion?

Edited by Holmbo

On 8/6/2020 at 8:38 AM, BlueAmaranth said:

I haven't read through the whole thread so I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but Sunakawa Makoto from Ore Monogatari ("My Love Story") strikes me as intentionally aro-coded. He's established early on as having a history of rejecting every girl who's asked him out, he's vague and evasive when pressed on whether he wants a relationship, and there are a couple of episodes that focus on him dealing with conflicts that many aros can relate to (wanting his best friend to prioritize him over his (the friend's) girlfriend while he (Suna) is going through a difficult time, but believing he's wrong to want that; trying to date someone he likes and respects, but finding that he's still not able to reciprocate her romantic feelings). Even though he isn't explicitly stated to be aromantic, I really like him as aro representation because of his compassion and loyalty, and how his friends refuse to make him a lesser priority even when he thinks they should. He's reserved and undemonstrative, but he isn't depicted as unfeeling like aromantic characters sometimes are, and the narrative validates that he is deserving of love and support in his platonic relationships.

God, yes! I love Suna, he's my favorite character in the show.

Also, aroace Hinata from Haikyuu, because I say so.