Famous people who are aromantic

I had trouble coming up with a good title for this topic.

My question is do you know of anyone who is famous in some context other than a LGBTA and is aromantic?

I'm asking because I listen to a podcast called invisibilia where they did an episode on Daniel Kish who is an expert in human echolocation which allows blind people to see by using click noises. In the episode they mentioned that he is aromantic. They didn't use the term but it was very clear that's what they meant.

I thought perhaps we could make a list. If anyone has more people to add?

• Like 3

This is a great question, and a hard one to answer. If we want to make a list of never married famous people, that would be much simpler. But, we can't assume that an unmarried person is aromantic, nor that a married person isn't aromantic.

So, unfortunately, we can only speculate. :(

It's highly possible that Nikolai Tesla was aromantic. He supposedly claimed that he was too interested in his research and didn't have time for sex or romance. That's still just a guess though. He may have felt those attractions but just never acted on them because he really did enjoy his work more.

• Like 7

On 25/10/2016 at 11:14 PM, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

This is a great question, and a hard one to answer. If we want to make a list of never married famous people, that would be much simpler. But, we can't assume that an unmarried person is aromantic, nor that a married person isn't aromantic.

There is the obvious complication of differing social attitudes towards coupledom and/or marriage. Along with arranged (even forced) marriage.

• Like 2

Yes it's hard to say about historical people. They could also have been homoromantic and therefore not interested in marrying women.

I tried searching for "famous aromatics" and came across this venndiagram which made me laugh.

Screen-Shot-2014-09-17-at-19-06-46.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

Edward Gorey? I have seen some aroace rumours about him. He said he was ace and the aro part is just a theory.

@Holmbo

wow, that diagram. So, you have to be aro and romo at the same time to be possibly homo...otherwise not a chance guys, sorry.  Charming.

It looks like someone let a drunk chimpanzee cut out sentences from a gossip mag and make a collage.  Where is it from? What kind of point is it trying to make? I'm truly curious.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

@Holmbo

wow, that diagram. So, you have to be aro and romo at the same time to be possibly homo...otherwise not a chance guys, sorry.  Charming.

It looks like someone let a drunk chimpanzee cut out sentences from a gossip mag and make a collage.  Where is it from? What kind of point is it trying to make? I'm truly curious.

I think you're misreading the diagram--it's saying "both aromantics and romantics: have a sexual orientation, etc.", not "you have to be both aromantic and romantic in order to: have a sexual orientation, etc.". In the overlap is the similarities between aros and romantics, in the parts of the circles that don't overlap is the differences. 

• Like 6

off

1 hour ago, Jade said:

I think you're misreading the diagram--it's saying "both aromantics and romantics have a sexual orientation, etc.", not "you have to be both aromantic and romantic in order to have a sexual orientation". 

Spoiler

Yes, I guess, but the visual representation of that concept is so awkward and illogical. (Also based on the language they use, I'd assume it was made by a troll, and not even a good one. Excuse my sarcasm...)

As far as I can see, those two circles definitely overlap.

Now, usually these kind of diagrams read like:

Group red is defined by the things listed in the red circle.

Group blue is defined by the things listed in the blue circle.

Group purple is both part of group red and blue, and defined by the things listed in the red circle, the blue circle and the purple circle.

• Like 2

Marriage a long time ago had little if anything to do with romance. Most were of convenience because people were expected to marry and women had no standing in society and often were forced to marry. In modern times a lot of people don't marry at all for various reasons. You could only count someone who never married if there was some quote that said they never felt a desire or something to be in a relationship with another person.

• Like 3

Queen Elizabeth The First of England could have been aromantic. She claimed she could never see herself or with with a relationship with a man and instead would prefer to focus on ruling her kingdom. If you look into her history, she was quite the independent woman and loved outdoor sports like archery and hunting. She was also very smart and could read in three languages as well as speak in six. She was also a religious prodestant and Jesus himself could have very well been an aromantic asexual. Last, she was one of England's beloved rulers on top of all this.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-10-31 at 2:47 PM, Cassiopeia said:

Edward Gorey? I have seen some aroace rumours about him. He said he was ace and the aro part is just a theory.

@Holmbo

I know it's kinda weird :D

I just think they wanted to present some different information and jokes about this topic and didn't put that much thought into it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any Leonard Cohen fans here? I was speculating that he may have had some aromantic tendencies/attitudes.

I made a whole new thread for it, but then @Holmbo pointed out that this thread already existed. So, um, apologies for the duplication of content, but...

Watch and draw your own conclusions :)

I also found this interview where he is directly confronted with "a difficult question" and the response is... interesting...

• Like 1

And, why not, let's add a few cherry-picked song lyrics to support my case xD

And then leaning on your window sill
He'll say one day you caused his will
To weaken with your love and warmth and shelter
And then taking from his wallet
An old schedule of trains, he'll say
I told you when I came I was a stranger

[Stranger Song]

And then you got away, didn't you babe?
You just turned your back on the crowd
You got away, I never once heard you say
I need you, I don't need you
I need you, I don't need you
And all of that jiving around

I don't mean to suggest that I loved you the best
I can't keep track of each fallen robin
I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel
That's all, I don't even think of you that often

[Chelsea Hotel #2]

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch

[Hallelujah]

Ah baby, let's get married, 
we've been alone too long. 
Let's be alone together. 
Let's see if we're that strong. 
Yeah let's do something crazy, 
something absolutely wrong 
while we're waiting 
for the miracle, for the miracle to come. 

[Waiting For The Miracle]

Steer your heart, precious heart
Past the women whom you bought
Year by year
Month by month
Day by day
Thought by thought

[Steer Your Way]

Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long-stem rose
Everybody knows

[Everybody Knows]

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to the Talking Heads album "Speaking in Tongues", and I'm more than a little suspicious that David Byrne might be some shade of aro. 

If only because he says, in each chorus of "Girlfriend is Better", "nothing it's better than this....is it?"

And he said in an interview with himself that he wrote one love song, and sang it to a lamp. 

• 10 months later...

It really depends one what you consider famous like take my mother for example she could be considered famous (she is bisexual not acearo but you get the idea) but have you ever heard of a woman that goes by the name Obsi/Obsidian/Obsidian Star? Probably not because you have to be in the right circles. But within those circles my mother could be considered famous even though you've quite possibly never even heard of what makes her "famous"

Also I would totally sing a love song to a lamp. Or food. Or my cat... Or probably just one of my friends, they all know I'm aro and they sing love songs to me all the time even though they are straight as a joke.

• 3 years later...

Ralph Nader.  Never married, no romantic involvement with anyone.  

In fact, when he talked about how dangerous the Corvair was, General Motors hired sleazy private detectives to try to dig up dirt on him.  They couldn't find anything.  They then hired women to come on to him & try to create a scandal; he was not the least bit interested.  Then they tried to find evidence of homosexuality--failed again.  Source:  The Investigation of Ralph Nader:  General Motors vs. One Determined Man by Thomas Whiteside.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There's a Man Booker Prize winning writer from New Zealand named Keri Hulme. She is aromantic and asexual, according to Wikipedia. I don't actually know much about her and I haven't read any of her work, although I've been meaning to :)

Another famous aroace author? Me (someday). Haha, probably not actually, but I can dream ?

• Like 4