Jump to content
techno-trashcan

How many of us are musicians?

How many of us are musicians?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, anzu2snow said:

I've been playing the clarinet since I was 10. Was in concert band, pep band, marching band, and pit orchestra in high school. Marching band in college until I almost (never found out if I did) broke my tailbone. Walked differently ever since, but I really miss it. 

 

Now I just play for myself. For me, it's calming and boosts my self esteem. I would like to start a klezmer band some day. I also played fiddle about a year before I started playing the clarinet. Before that, the recorder.

Yes, another one, join the clarinet army! xD:arocapapo:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2017 at 2:24 AM, anzu2snow said:

I've been playing the clarinet since I was 10. Was in concert band, pep band, marching band, and pit orchestra in high school. Marching band in college until I almost (never found out if I did) broke my tailbone. Walked differently ever since, but I really miss it. 

 

Now I just play for myself. For me, it's calming and boosts my self esteem. I would like to start a klezmer band some day. I also played fiddle about a year before I started playing the clarinet. Before that, the recorder.

Yay! More clarinets! :aropride:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Back in my high school days, I was dubbed the "clarinet traitor" for quite some time for switching to percussion. I still love listening to the clarinet, but just don't like the sensation of playing it. :P (Heck, I find myself playing percussion for clarinet ensembles quite a bit. I even played percussion for a clarinet choir album last year.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play the violin ^^. I'm also going to spend next year studying music in a local conservatory... though after that I'll probably start studying something else at uni :D (not good enough to actually make a living as a musician lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2017 at 8:25 PM, Mezzo Forte said:

^ Back in my high school days, I was dubbed the "clarinet traitor" for quite some time for switching to percussion. I still love listening to the clarinet, but just don't like the sensation of playing it. :P (Heck, I find myself playing percussion for clarinet ensembles quite a bit. I even played percussion for a clarinet choir album last year.)

We often made this joke about one of my friends in high school, who started off on clarinet but played pretty much every instrument and would play whatever was necessary for any ensemble she was in (and also wound up being drum major senior year). Of course, the irony is that my college pep band is freaking tiny, and the clarinet section is the biggest section (with a grand total of 3 people on a good day) and therefore is the most able to spare a person to play something else, so guess who wound up being that person now... *hides snare sticks* :P 

 

However, I am of the firm belief that "once a clarinet, always a clarinet", no matter what instrument you wind up playing more frequently. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

However, I am of the firm belief that "once a clarinet, always a clarinet", no matter what instrument you wind up playing more frequently. 

 

Funny to hear that so many years after I stopped playing clarinet. xD In some circles, I'm "that marimba guy," in some, I'm "that berimbau guy," and in others, I'm "that guy who uses way too big of multi-percussion setups," but I haven't been "that clarinet guy" since before people even recognized that I'm a guy. :P I guess it is kinda funny that the first album that I've ever been involved in has "clarinet" in the title though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Musician here but not an instrumentalist! I sing. :) Mostly choral stuff but also some solos and musical/show choir stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned how to play quite a lot of percussion instruments, I’ve actually got quite a few awards and stuff for it. And it’s something that I enjoy doing and my favourite percussion instruments is Snare drum, Tambourine and African drums. I sing too, and am trying to learn piano too, I’m okay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2017 at 12:17 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

Yes, another one, join the clarinet army! xD:arocapapo:

I'll also join.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2017 at 12:17 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

Yes, another one, join the clarinet army! xD:arocapapo:

I've also been playing the clarinet for about eight years now.

But why are there so few flutes here? In every there always seem to be twice as many flutes as clarinets (at least in Germany).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I barely self-teach myself to play guitar (this instrument is bigger than me and making me re-consider getting a smaller size or just settle for a ukulele).

I'm still interested in learning to play instruments that specifically have strings (not sure why but yeah) and piano since I have pretty small hands. The only main problem is that I play a few music notes for fun instead of making efficient practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...