Zema

Pointless Romantic Subplots in Movies and TV shows.

A post by @Cassiopeia in the "Give the Worst Possible Description" thread gave me an idea. Why don't we have a test for movies and tv shows as to whether or not they contain a pointless romantic subplot. Of course, some people here would argue that all romantic subplots are pointless, but for the sake of fairness I'll define a pointless romantic subplot as one of three things (I'm willing to take suggestions for more criteria):

• If the romantic subplot was removed entirely, it would not effect the overall story.
  • If the characters would not have kissed, you would not know that it was meant to be romance.
  • The characters included would not be as friends, and do not seem to even like each other.

A movie or tv show fails the test if a romantic subplot fits this definition of pointless.

So why don't we list here all the movies and tv shows which contain pointless romantic subplots. I'll start with one off the top of my head: Thor. Seriously, there's like 2 scenes where the romantic subplot happens and like 5 lines of dialogue. Get rid of these lines of dialogue, and literally nothing about the movie would change storywise.

(I honestly couldn't decide whether to put this in arcade or off-topic. I don't think it really matters though)

• Like 6

Yesss.

I think criteria wise we could define an pointless romantic subplot it many ways:

• if removed entirely, does not effect the overall story
  • if the characters would not have kissed, you would not know its meant to be romance
  • the characters included would not be passable as friends, and do not seem to even like each other.

I mean there are so many options for criteria, the bar is soo soo low.

Also, I have a side theory: Alloromantic people would ship fucking everything if you make it look slightly human and somewhat visually pleasing.

Exhibit A

97303aba11445e368b5ac31e1d496a0e.jpg

That is a six year old kid and a goddamn Gyarados. Why??!

All I see is:

51PJdEkHDJL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

Yesss.

I think criteria wise we could define an pointless romantic subplot it many ways:

• if removed entirely, does not effect the overall story
  • if the characters would not have kissed, you would not know its meant to be romance
  • the characters included would not be as friends, and do not seem to even like each other.

I mean there are so many options for criteria, the bar is soo soo low.

An excellent suggestion, I'll add it to the OP now.

On 01/08/2016 at 10:54 AM, DannyFenton123 said:

That one kiss scene in the Martian, it annoyed me to death xD

I didn't mind it personally because of how understated the whole thing was, but I do agree it was a pointless romantic subplot.

My sister and I watched The Departed recently and despite the plots best efforts to hint at ways in which Matt Damon's character's girlfriend could have had a point in the plot, she never did, and there was even a pointless sex scene to go with it. It's a shame because the actress did a good job.

• Like 2

I think most Marvel movies are guilty. Funnily so are the first three Star Wars movies. Just because the romance is essential to the plot, somehow it still fails the kiss and the friends test. So I guess the last two are more of a test of how well written the romantic subplot is than a test of pointlessness...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

I think most Marvel movies are guilty

*cough* Natasha and Bruce in the Avengers 2 *cough*

• Like 1

Don't know how to do the spoiler thing, but if you don't want Dexter spoilers don't read this. 

One that doubles as pointless and disgusting is in Dexter, when Dexter's adoptive sister Debra admits to her counselor that she's attracted to her brother. If they hadn't thrown that in, they'd have read simply as close siblings. I got the feeling that they had her feel that way so she'd be willing to cover for him once she figures out he's a serial killer. But a strong sibling bond could easily make a person do that.   

• Like 2

On 8/18/2016 at 2:40 PM, Ugh... said:

*cough* Natasha and Bruce in the Avengers 2 *cough*

I so agree with this. Another person who thinks that a relationship between Bruce and Natasha was forced, thank you.

The romance in Deadpool. I enjoyed the movie so much, but not that part, maybe is just me.

• Like 3

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY GAMORA AND QUILL DO NOT NEED TO DATE DAMNIT

• Like 2