Sooty Owl

Things you've never understood about romance

Oh I knew this existed somewhere. It should be in the front page.

Now, I don't understand flirting. Or at least why something as consider as flirting.

Here's the thing : I'm working on a book. At some point my characters are fighting/insuline each other, and one of my beta-reader thought they were flirting without noticing it. First, how can you flirt without knowing it? Second, the boy sayed the girl can't do something on her own and the girl called him arrogant. How is that flirting? How? Can someone explain this mystery to me? I dont get it. At all.

1 minute ago, nonmerci said:

Here's the thing : I'm working on a book. At some point my characters are fighting/insuline each other, and one of my beta-reader thought they were flirting without noticing it. First, how can you flirt without knowing it? 

I have been accused of flirting when I didn't know it... Seeing as how I'm aro, I still think I wasn't, but she was pretty sure that I was... 

3 minutes ago, nonmerci said:

Second, the boy sayed the girl can't do something on her own and the girl called him arrogant. How is that flirting? How? Can someone explain this mystery to me? I dont get it. At all.

It's a bit like negging I guess? I don't understand negging to begin with... (do they even have Pick-Up-Artists in your region? If you don't know what "negging" is... you're probably happier that way...) 

I didn't know the word "negging". I search on Google and that sounds dumb. I saw it on movies but not in real life (at least I think).

But I suppose that the conversation I wrote can't be mistaken as negging... except that my characters really meant it and that the girl wants the boy to go away.

It may also be the trope "they hate each other then fallin love" (well technically they hate each other and will become friends; but still, I never thought about it as a flirting phase...).

And of course the fact that you always expect the boy and the girl to kiss at the end of a book or a movie...

• Like 1

Wow, I relate to everything in this thread. I was feeling alone (my friends have been talking a lot about romance at the moment) and now I suddenly feel much less alone. It is great to know other people have the same experience and also do not understand romance :)

I don’t get how some people really hate their exes and that it’s considered to be okay. It’s understandable to hate someone who turned out to be terrible once you got to know them better, but even the happiest couples end up like this sometimes, and I just don’t understand why you can’t remain friends after a break up if you used to enjoy your each other’s company so much. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kallie said:

I don’t get how some people really hate their exes and that it’s considered to be okay. It’s understandable to hate someone who turned out to be terrible once you got to know them better, but even the happiest couples end up like this sometimes, and I just don’t understand why you can’t remain friends after a break up if you used to enjoy your each other’s company so much. 

And even worse: Sometimes they make you pick sides! WTF? 

• Like 3

On 8/6/2017 at 7:54 AM, Ice Queen said:

I don't understand how on earth it is possible for one to feel a connection to someone they've just met or whom they don't know well and I don't understand why there have to be expectations right from the start. Aaaarrrrghhhh x_x. 

Wait, is that just a romantic thing?

7 hours ago, ClearBlueSea said:

Wait, is that just a romantic thing?

Not necessarily I think (I suppose it works in platonic context too) but romance really embodies this kind of behaviour. Love at first sight is supposed to be a thing in romance.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:24 PM, Kallie said:

A lot of strange romantic insider jokes revolve around "still be friends".

• Like 1

On 7/31/2016 at 12:33 PM, omitef said:

I don't understand how dating is different than a really good friendship. 

same though... I’ve never figured out what makes it different 

On 1/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, LBMango said:

And even worse: Sometimes they make you pick sides! WTF? 

I KNOW RIGHT!?!?

Two of my friends “broke up” and now they both want me to pick their side... 

They’re both great people and tbh he didn’t do anything wrong. 

(It doesn’t help that I don’t understand why they broke up... he kissed a girl before they even started dating and she got mad. They weren’t even dating yet. I’m so confused) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1