Life is expansive when you're single

nonmerci

I just wanted to rant a bit I guess.

I am trying to get an appartment and it is so expansive. It looks like the only things I can afford are :

-studios, which is what I had when I was a student so I expect to have more now that I have a master and that I work.

-things in area that have a bad reputation... you get why I'm not thrilled about it

-old appartments that either have renovation work or unpractical things like no elevator

You can say I should lower my expectations. Maybe. But I also realize that all the appartments I saw would be an easy but if I was in a couple and we were both working. I mean, of course two people have more money than only one, but I don't know... I guess I just wish there were some help for single people ? Married people have so much priviledges already... And even if I had à friend or a family rmember ready that I wantt tto live with and vice versa, I'm not sure the bank would accept cause young people are expected to change their mind and find a partner, so we'd have to convince them that they can trust us to stay together...

Also, I don't have the biggest payment true, but some people have even less. So I have trouble, what about them ? How do the maids, cashiers, and all the other people who have a low salary like this ?

I may be wrong but I think nonody realized hiw high the prizes are cause people are expecting to live their parents home when they want to live with their partner. When you're single they expect you to rent, not to buy...

That also annoyed me because you know, I plan to adopt a child in the future. But that won't happen if I don't have a chamber for them. And right now  I can't afford it, and that's makes me sad.

• Like 7

I live with my mother. Everyone keeps assuming that I want to find my own place soon, but I'm happy like this, and so is she. It makes everything cheaper for both of us, and seeing as I'm aroace, and she plans to remain single, I think it's a great solution.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nonmerci said:

When you're single they expect you to rent, not to buy...

In my country (the Netherlands) people expect you to buy a house as soon as your can financially. Doesn’t matter if you are single, renting is viewed as something you only do when you are a student, in between buying houses, or ‘poor’. Unfortunately, since my work means my income varies greatly, no bank will give me an affordable loan to buy a house. Not to mention the fact that the housing market is ridiculous right now. So I guess I’ll continue to rent my nice little apartment and be considerd ‘poor’ ¯\-(ツ)-/¯ 

• Like 1

I'm in a similar scenario and man those apartment prices. In nearly every city I've looked at, studios and 1BRs are ~1500 (USD) a month. And I know that's on the low end compared to some places.

Until recently I was renting a 3BR with 2 friends, and that was really nice and affordable. But then we had to go our separate ways so I'm currently living with my mom. Given how expensive everything is getting, I might just stay with her for a bit because we both like it.

Yes, life is expensive when you are single.  However, life can also be expansive when you are single :)  And if that isn't a word, it should be.

• Like 1

So good news : my banker completely forgot to told me about a special credit for people who never buys anything before, so if I may be able to buy something. As it is only for new buildings, I'll have to wait two years as the building I notice is just starting to be built, but... At lezst I can buy something.

Now I'll see if I can have two chambers or not, wish me luck.

My point still stand though : a couple buying the same thing win't have to worry and single people need more help when it comes to this.

• Like 2

the thing i notice is that apartment prices near me tend to tack on a really high service charge, plus ground rent. Also very few flats/apartments are allowed by the council to be built outside the city centre. So there is honestly very little difference in overall cost between buying an entire old 2 up 2 down terraced house and buying an apartment.

There is also the fact that governments where I am tend to have a preference for family homes over flats and places for single people. generally councils can reject based on something being out of character for the area or negative appearence, and councils don't seem to think their area's character suits cheap flats, even if i think the area is so run down it would suit a portal to hell.

There is also a loss of family homes rule. basically councils can reject a plan to turn a house into a few flats, even if the owner would really like to, because that would mean a loss of the almighty 'family home' which is of course more important than anywhere for us single folks to live. Of course, knocking flats together to return to a family home would not lead to a planning rejection for the loss of flats.

still, maybe I have it better than countries like the US where governments can just mark out most of the land and ban anything other that family homes from being built there.

• Like 2