aromantic books/fanfics

raye

k so I've read Loveless by Alice Oseman and absolutely love Heartstopper, but I'm looking for books or fanfictions that have aromantic characters, especially aromantic characters that are not asexual. If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to post them here <3 I'll add on any that I find as well! 

• Like 6

I have quite a few aro fics on my own AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/users/EmeraldTrash666 A fair number of them are about allo aros (since I am one myself), but not all, and it's not always specified.

Fair warning: Some of them are quite old, some of them are VERY specific, and some of them are NSFW. Of the stuff I've written, my top recommendations if you're looking for something specifically aro-focused are Arrows of FateLegacy (a bit less aro focused but it's there), and Hot Summer Nights, which I will not link because it's smut.

• Like 4

I haven't read them myself, but the Bowden Anime Club books by Hailey Gonzales has an alloaro character: https://haileygonzalesbooks.wordpress.com/take-me-to-your-nerdy-leader/. This page also has a section on stories/fanfic with allo aro and non-asexual aros: https://aroworlds.com/allo-aro/.

Edited by Erederyn
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Since this, I have found a couple of aro fics that some of you might be interested in. All of the following are on AO3. 

Heartstopper:

Oh, luxury suits you Mr. Donovan by Marnky 

what if it's not meant for me? by SchrodingersGobstopper47 (they also have some with aromantic side characters, which were great too) 

I, Imogen Heaney, am aromantic by Sunnys567

Supernatural: 

hey, fakin' your real self is hard by SchrodingersGobstopper47 (again)

In Fidelity (Enough of a Heaven) by demonsonthemoon 

Harry Potter: 

This Is Just What Human Means (For Me) by WoodenSuitcase

Most of these are oneshots and quite short and are obviously only for the fandoms I frequently read for. They are some of the best I've found, though. So if anyone has anymore to add, please do! 

Edited by raye

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, queer_kaleidoscope said:

One of the main characters in the webtoon Castle Swimmer is aroace :)

(although she doesn't appear until season 2) 

That’s an odd name for a webcomic, and interesting one too. Castle Swimmer? Two random words put together to make the name of a webcomic? What is the story behind that?

Also, thank you for your response!

• Like 2

Tori from Solitare/Heartstopper is canonically ace, and at first I thought

Spoiler

the main relationship was platonic (bc I haven't finished solitare) but I googled it and APPARENTLY they kiss at the end of the book, so that bummed me out

• Like 1

There's this short story by aroace writer Merc Fenn Wolfmoor that I absolutely love and, as someone with a complicated relationship to their own humanity, relate to very much. The main character, Tesla is ace and also heavily implied to be aro! 

It's called How to Become a Robot in 12 Easy Steps and you can read it here: https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/how-to-become-a-robot-in-12-easy-steps/ 

But!! Massive TW for discussion and depictions of depression and thoughts of self-harm and suicide.  It left me pretty shaken and emotionally drained at some points, so, if you do read it, remember to practice self care!

• Like 3

On 10/8/2022 at 8:48 PM, Whirl said:

There's this short story by aroace writer Merc Fenn Wolfmoor that I absolutely love and, as someone with a complicated relationship to their own humanity, relate to very much. The main character, Tesla is ace and also heavily implied to be aro! 

It's called How to Become a Robot in 12 Easy Steps and you can read it here: https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/how-to-become-a-robot-in-12-easy-steps/ 

But!! Massive TW for discussion and depictions of depression and thoughts of self-harm and suicide.  It left me pretty shaken and emotionally drained at some points, so, if you do read it, remember to practice self care!

:D wow there's so much for me to analyze here!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 9:48 PM, Whirl said:

damn i have asd and this hit a bit hard ngl

Spoiler
  1. Pretend you are not a robot. This is hard, and you have been working at it for twenty-three years. You are like Data, except in reverse.
  2. (There are missing protocols in your head. You don’t know why you were born biologically or why there are pieces missing, and you do not really understand how human interaction functions. Sometimes you can fake it. Sometimes people even believe you when you do. You never believe yourself.)
  3. Memorize enough data about social cues and run facial muscle pattern recognition so you know what to say and when to say it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A User said:

damn i have asd and this hit a bit hard ngl

I don't know if I have asd, but this bit also hit very, very hard. Wolfmoor, the author, does have asd tho! I think that's part of what makes their works so powerful

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whirl said:

I don't know if I have asd, but this bit also hit very, very hard. Wolfmoor, the author, does have asd tho! I think that's part of what makes their works so powerful

really? that's so cool!!

• Like 1