Aro Scout Badges

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

What does this mean, and what would one do to get it? We do have scouts where I'm from, but I think it works a little differently so I don't know all the lingo x)

OK, this is how things worked in the UK when I was in scouts/young leader.

Each age group has badges. round activity ones for things relating to a particular subject, there's loads of these, like astronomy, DIY or faith. Then there are challenge badges, this would be more general themes like, for example, adventure or outdoor. each badge having a whole load of stuff you need to do related to outdoor stuff.

The higher award though is the chief scout's award. which you would get if you got all the challenge badges and some (I can't remember how many and can't be arsed to look it up) of the activity badges. I remember ther being bronze, silver then gold as you more up the age groups but there might be more I have forgotten.

So I really want a fancy award for completing all the arochallenges (still not sure what aro challenges there are to complete but that's details, I'm sure it will work itself out).

19 hours ago, roboticanary said:

that is absolutely fantastic (and when I first saw the glove I thought it was running about on little stick legs)

Well, thanks but any random clip-art glove has at least that quality. Still strive to do all by myself – no copyright issues.

So now I thought about it again: how on earth can you represent amatonormativity? And then just came up with "RULES" in red, in the font used by Twilight. So final result with patch effect:

challenging_badge.png.4fac291d9ba79817f2fbbbd738d6f84e.png

5 hours ago, Bumble_Bee_ said:

i'm gonna attempt at designing the grand emerald cross of the Aromantic knights of honor 

nevermind im no good at stuff like that

We have a few pretty good artists here on this board but they seem to have gone into hiding.

And the other two badges finished with patch effect…

another_aro_badge.png.80a3a46dd16ebab188be67595c3a9bae.png

quiver_badge.png.7bf61c3357721a0f40753ffb41e29540.png

(improved the motive a bit, too)

Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

Elf! 

Elf? Elf? “Elf” means 11 in Afrikaans, Dutch or German. Is it that what you’re hinting at?

But … in Maltese “elf” means 1000!!!

Good luck finding 1000 other aros in the wild!

This would be … oh…  “LEGENDARY” would be an understatement!

The aro bards would sing about you till the end of times.

Everything else would just pale compared to your bright, radiant green, aro light.

Heck, if you achieve that, you’d transcend mere humanity. We would declare you the Living Saint of Aromanticism!

Ok, ok, ok … I try to calm down…

I guess you just want to know: why an elf, not a human? At first I wanted a character with green hair (naturally green hair, not dyed!) and who is an archer, so I instantly thought of the No. 1 fantasy stock character: Forest Elf Archer.

But to concoct another retroactive interpretation: you meet forest elves everywhere in virtual spaces like video games, but never one in real life. So they’re just like aros. ?

• Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 1:18 PM, DeltaV said:

So now I thought about it again: how on earth can you represent amatonormativity? And then just came up with "RULES" in red, in the font used by Twilight. So final result with patch effect:

Yeah, representing an abstract concept is really tough. I didn't have any ideas. and focused on the other badges. That is a very good idea and the twilight font is a beautiful touch.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DeltaV said:

Elf? Elf? “Elf” means 11 in Afrikaans, Dutch or German. Is it that what you’re hinting at?

But … in Maltese “elf” means 1000!!!

Forgive me! I know nothing! ~though if we could get a convention going in some future time I'm sure we could convince 999 other arospec people to show up. It would have to be somewhere with a variety of transport options to get to, like boat, plane, train, and car....so basically definitely not Australia!

22 hours ago, roboticanary said:

the twilight font is a beautiful touch.

oh I hadn't noticed that! very good. (butIenjoywatchingTwilightanyway!)

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:13 PM, Bumble_Bee_ said:

(totally didn't download the badges)

Oh that’s ok. License is hereby CC BY 2.0. Only thing taken from somewhere else were the fonts used, that’s it!

Maybe if this board stays online, I clean up the SVGs and upload them. So anyone can easily edit and combine them. We need an aro art pack (if I could only draw better…)!

Also the quiver patch ended up too dark and washed out. I like @roboticanary color scheme.

But enough aro scout patches for now! You can all easily adjust saturation / brightness / contrast with GIMP.

44 minutes ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

Forgive me! I know nothing! ~though if we could get a convention going in some future time I'm sure we could convince 999 other arospec people to show up. It would have to be somewhere with a variety of transport options to get to, like boat, plane, train, and car....so basically definitely not Australia!

Also I would feel bad if poor aros had to deal with Australian custom officers: “I do not accept your claim that this candy arrow is purely ceremonial. I arrest you for possession of a deadly weapon. You have the right to remain silent…”

44 minutes ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

(butIenjoywatchingTwilightanyway!)

Inexcusable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:48 AM, Bumble_Bee_ said:

i'm gonna attempt at designing the grand emerald cross of the Aromantic knights of honor 

nevermind im no good at stuff like that

I first wanted to design that… but that’s how tons of awards are named (Legion of Honour, etc). It should be a bit more unique!

grand_emerald_cross.png.47817b43e29fb3a475c736059a06610a.png

The Grand Emerald Cross of the Order of the Ice Cream Serving Aardvark

It sadly has not much emphasis on arrows, it was kind of difficult to add them here. Two small ones still occur in the frame.

The middle medallion is in Greek style as a reference to Plato.

The Latin is surely wrong

Now please remember: the Grand Emerald Cross is not some mere scout patch. This is a SERIOUS award! ;)

Here is the SVG, licensed under CC BY 4.0. The text was converted to paths, but the font used was Noto Serif.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Badger for the Aros said:

Would it make sense to have a "friend to 5+ queer people" badge? (But with a better name obviously)

Well… look at the colors of the arrows’ feathers in my interpretation of “Quiver of Aros”  … could be easily changed to “Quiver of Queers” 😉

quiver_badge.png.7bf61c3357721a0f40753ff

• Like 3