Jump to content
Robin

Gamers

Recommended Posts

Here's a thread where we can discuss games and find other players. 

 

Admittedly I'm still a newbie in the field of gaming, but I still love to play with others. I own a 3DS with Pokemon X/AS and Mario kart, and my Steam has Portal 1/2 and Don't Starve Together 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not the gamer that I used to be, but I'll never lose my respect for the medium, especially as some of the most profound works of art I've ever connected with were games. Shadow of the Colossus and Journey really touched my life in a meaningful way and sparked introspection I never would have had otherwise. Each play-though was a different experience than the last, as I approached those games with a different mentality and different baggage each time. They're far from the only games in my life that are important to me, but they are certainly the most significant.

 

One of my bucket list items is to compose a soundtrack for a game someday :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but I still play games like the Sims and Civilisation in my spare time.

 

2 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

One of my bucket list items is to compose a soundtrack for a game someday :)

 

My favourite parts of some games are soundtracks. Mostly because they're instrumentals, last for hours and are pretty awesome, which is all helpful when concentrating on writing :P

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play a few games, but not too many. I play some CS:GO, Skyrim, and other stuff. I played Undertale a few times, along with some other RPGs like Pokemon and Fire Emblem. I also played the South Park game, Stanley Parable, blah blah random other games. I usually play more during the summer since I'm off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to play a lot of games, but now I only really play TF2 occasionally with a close friend of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

My favourite parts of some games are soundtracks. Mostly because they're instrumentals, last for hours and are pretty awesome, which is all helpful when concentrating on writing :P

 

Video game soundtracks are amazing. I've heard that they're designed to help players focus on the game.

 

I'm in the "I used to play more" boat, as well. Right now, I'm actively(?) playing Fantasy Life and Pokémon Yellow Version on the 3DS. There's a huge backlog on Steam that I really need to tackle because otherwise my wallet would have been assaulted for nothing. Damned sales.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played a handful of games myself, but never really took it all that seriously. I think there's only a small handful that I've ever bothered to finish as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tal Shi'ar said:

there's only a small handful that I've ever bothered to finish as well.

 

Same; I've only finished a few Pokemon games and a single MMORPG's story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i play pokemon but i easily get bored w/ it -_- but i do wanna buy as & moon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but I still play games like the Sims and Civilisation in my spare time.

 

 

My favourite parts of some games are soundtracks. Mostly because they're instrumentals, last for hours and are pretty awesome, which is all helpful when concentrating on writing :P

 

Both the musician and The scholar in me loves game soundtracks. I'm fascinated by the concept of musical conditioning (things like learning to associate certain music with extramusical things, like how the Dias Irae hymn is associated death, or how the drowning theme in Sonic can send people into immediate panic attacks) and how interactivity factors into game composition. Some of my favorite games use soundtracks in ways that make the music go beyond accompaniment to the events, but rather shapes your very experience.

 

Shadow of the Colossus has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time because of stuff like this. The soundtrack has a way of giving you a sucker punch to the gut with feelings of cognitive dissonance through subverting certain expectations built not only from typical gaming experience, but from the ways the game itself utilizes the soundtrack. I like Journey because of the way it uses the game's simplicity to allow the soundtrack to have a genuine sense of progression that flows so naturally with the pace of the game and reinforce the major themes/overall aesthetic.

 

Bastion would have been totally forgettable if not for its sound design decisions; even if you ignore the narration, the music perfectly reflects the shattered world by blending the familiar with the foreign, with blending of Eastern and Western musical aesthetics as well as electronic with acoustic. (Not to mention that the East vs West idea kinda comes up in regards to the two nationalities discussed within the game's universe.) The moments that are purely acoustic punctuate the experience and helps the player empathize with their nameless protagonist by giving them something very familiar-sounding to cling to within the distorted world in the game. 

 

Okay, I held back a lot on Journey and Shadow of the Colossus, but I may have rambled a bit more than I planned on Bastion, even if that's a bit vague too. I joke that I spend more time analyzing games than I do playing them, but I find the way that interactivity meets music to be absolutely fascinating!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yo!! i've been gaming since i was like,, a little kid pfft

but some of my favorites are any pokemon ones, devil survivor: overclocked, fire emblem just cause 3, lieat, legend of zelda, undertale, fragile dreams: farewell ruins of the moon, hatoful boyfriend, and stuff like that!! as you can tell, i lean towards some of the more emotional ones. i've actually been meaning to play bastion, but for some reason, it always glitches out on my computer. and i've started titan souls, but i'm,,, frighteningly bad at it

 

i'd also be willing to exchange my steam with people, if that's something anyone's interested in??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final Fantasy X has been my lifeblood since I've been six, and I've definitely put more than a hundred hours into Civ. Dragon Age is pretty sweet, and this summer I'm finally going to get around to Mass Effect. 

 

Oh, and game music totally helps you focus; I often listen to it when I'm studying.

 

Any of you into tabletop role playing games? D&D, World of Darkness, Edge of the Empire and the like?

 

Also, hidden traitor board games like Avalon/Resistance? Board games in general, really. Betrayal at the House on the Hill is great too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been gaming like I used to because I'm busy with school (and my pc hates me)

I'm mainly playing Just Cause 2 on my PC at the moment, also playing through Pokemon Yellow and play Crash Team Racing (the ps1 game..) with my dad every weekend..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I'm in Australia, so internet is pretty bad, likely wont be able to play with people around the world. I'm waayy into tf2 and dota 2, just started dark souls 1 and otherwise play a lot of small inde games. I also really wanna get into a DnD group if anyone is willing to have me :3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That depends where abouts in australia you are. Mine is fine enough to be able to play SC2. I was talking to one guy who's internet struggles with Youtube however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been gaming since I was five and we got PS1. Then I had a lot of breaks in the middle but I'm getting back to business. In other words I buy too much games when I don't really have enough money (I'm a Uni student so). At the moment I play with PS3 and PC, mostly with a console though. I'm playing Thief, The Wold Among Us, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Ib. I also have Skyrim there waiting to be played. Sigh, too many games, too little time. 

 

I also have to agree with those few who said game music is amazing because it really is. It's something that makes the game atmospheric. Like, horror wouldn't be as scary as it is with music. And fantasy world gets that magical feeling with a beautiful instrumental piece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been gaming for almost as long as i can remember. One of my first memories is getting pokemon gold on the game boy colour.

 

Recently ive just been playing runescape because it's nice and afkable and easy to play whilst doing uni assignments, or watching YouTube, or even playing other games. Ill definitely be getting dark souls 3 because it comes out in the first week of mid-semester break. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, Runescape... I still can't believe that it's alive still. It certainly doesn't want to die - it's even thriving! I used to be big into browser games, but not so much anymore...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2016 at 5:42 PM, Mezzo Forte said:

 

Both the musician and The scholar in me loves game soundtracks. I'm fascinated by the concept of musical conditioning (things like learning to associate certain music with extramusical things, like how the Dias Irae hymn is associated death, or how the drowning theme in Sonic can send people into immediate panic attacks) and how interactivity factors into game composition. Some of my favorite games use soundtracks in ways that make the music go beyond accompaniment to the events, but rather shapes your very experience.

 

Shadow of the Colossus has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time because of stuff like this. The soundtrack has a way of giving you a sucker punch to the gut with feelings of cognitive dissonance through subverting certain expectations built not only from typical gaming experience, but from the ways the game itself utilizes the soundtrack. I like Journey because of the way it uses the game's simplicity to allow the soundtrack to have a genuine sense of progression that flows so naturally with the pace of the game and reinforce the major themes/overall aesthetic.

 

Bastion would have been totally forgettable if not for its sound design decisions; even if you ignore the narration, the music perfectly reflects the shattered world by blending the familiar with the foreign, with blending of Eastern and Western musical aesthetics as well as electronic with acoustic. (Not to mention that the East vs West idea kinda comes up in regards to the two nationalities discussed within the game's universe.) The moments that are purely acoustic punctuate the experience and helps the player empathize with their nameless protagonist by giving them something very familiar-sounding to cling to within the distorted world in the game. 

 

Okay, I held back a lot on Journey and Shadow of the Colossus, but I may have rambled a bit more than I planned on Bastion, even if that's a bit vague too. I joke that I spend more time analyzing games than I do playing them, but I find the way that interactivity meets music to be absolutely fascinating!

 

I must agree, video games soundtracks are amazing. I liked Bastion's, Journey's and Shadow of the Colossus' too a lot, and I'd like to suggest you another game that has purely amazing and beautiful and breathtaking soundtracks: Child of Light. It's so pure and transports you into another world, at least that's what it does for me- it's like time stops when I listen to it.

 

Mario Galaxy also has amazing soundtracks, in my opinion. And so does Mario Kart Double Dash. It's not like I know them all by heart. ha. h a.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as MMOs go I was big into Guild Wars, then Guild Wars 2 a year or two back. The combat and exploration was amazing, the story mediocre. The biggest draw for me ended up being World v World v World, which is weird cause I'm not normally into PvP.

 

The Bioware Star Wars MMO though... I went all the way through the Imperial Agent story line free to play, that's how much I adored it. The combat and actual mmo aspects aren't great, but that story was a masterpiece.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeMorgan said:

Ah, Runescape... I still can't believe that it's alive still. It certainly doesn't want to die - it's even thriving! I used to be big into browser games, but not so much anymore...

Its barely a browser game anymore, considering that chrome doesn't  even support flash anymore. it currently has a java client, but they're upgrading to a new client later this year which will boost both graphics and performance. It has definitely come a long way in the past 15 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hippiesthop said:

The Bioware Star Wars MMO though... I went all the way through the Imperial Agent story line free to play, that's how much I adored it. The combat and actual mmo aspects aren't great, but that story was a masterpiece.

 

This, so much! I loved SWTOR, and played all the way through the Smuggler story line, and a substantial amount of the rest of the stories free to play. Bioware alone atones for the rest of EA's sins.

 

8 minutes ago, Zemaddog said:

a new client ... which will boost both graphics and performance

 

Wow, so it's still being meaningfully updated? Maybe I'll check it out again at some point...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo, I'm not sure if this is against the rules or something, but if anyone has Steam and is looking for someone to play TF2 or Brawhalla with, feel free to add me, I'm Radish Hunter (the chibi Kylo Ren dude). I also play SWTOR a bit, and Guild Wars 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I only really play Mario Kart... Nothing can beat Mario Kart. I usually play it on my wii, but I'm a bit upset about the fact that I can't do that thing anymore where you could play against people all around the world over wifi :( That used to be so much fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Nintendo kid at heart! With the exception of Steam and other PC-type games, Nintendo-based consoles are actually the only consoles that I own.

 

Right now I'm replaying Soul Silver after 8,000 years of going through Johto withdrawal. It's my 2nd or 3rd favorite Pokemon region, so it feels great to play it again!

 

My 3DS FC is 2105-9565-0290 and my NNID is GUMIbears if anyone wants to add me

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...