What's your favorite "aro song"?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 4:42 PM, Guest anaro said:

i really like "perfume" and "it's all futile it's all pointless" by lovejoy!! they helped me love my arospec self more

same here!! I adore lovejoy and some of their songs have such strong aro vibes!

All my favorite songs with aro vibes have already been said, save for "Favorite Band" by chloe moriondo, which is about realizing you're not interested in someone because their music taste sucks and you don't like them as much as you like listening to good music. So my life story.

Strange how no-one mentioned FRIENDS by and Anne-Marie and Marshmello... They call it the "friendzone anthem"!

Others have already been named, like This is Home, but another song that gives me slight aro vibes is First Love/Late Spring by Mitski.

But only the line that goes "Please, hurry, leave me, I can't breathe, please don't say you love me", cause that's exactly how I felt while in a relationship. Otherwise the song is about the singer's first romantic love, so not aro at all lol.

Oh and Two Time by Jack Stauber? But that's a stretch too.

• Like 1

It's not exactly aro (esp since there's a line that says "There's nothing that we can't discuss/Like girls we wish would notice us but never do") but

"For Forever" from Dear Evan Hansen is my favorite song because it encapsulates Evan's dreams about a perfect friendship. Not a romantic relationship, like so many songs, just a friendship, and I swear, it spoke to me so much when I first heard it some years ago. I experience such strong platonic attraction, and can sometimes get confused when everything seems to focus on romance. This song told me that the longing for friends can be just as powerful, just as emotional, just as song-worthy. It encapsulates the perfect friendships I have had and the ones I have yearned for

https://youtu.be/xkdPRcY0k4o

It's not really, but I'm kind of digging Miley Cyrus' new song Flowers as a nice aro anthem.

We were good, we were gold
Kinda dream that can't be sold
We were right 'til we weren't
Built a home and watched it burn
Mm, I didn't wanna leave you
I didn't wanna lie
Started to cry but then remembered I
I can buy myself flowers
Write my name in the sand
Talk to myself for hours
Say things you don't understand
I can take myself dancing
And I can hold my own hand
Yeah, I can love me better than you can
Can love me better
I can love me better, baby
Can love me better
Paint my nails, cherry red
Match the roses that you left
No remorse, no regret
I forgive every word you said
Ooh, I didn't want to leave you, baby
I didn't wanna fight
I can buy myself flowers
Write my name in the sand
Talk to myself for hours, yeah
Say things you don't understand
I can take myself dancing, yeah
I can hold my own hand
Can love me better
Can love me better
Can love me better
Can love me better
Oh, I
I didn't want to leave you
I didn't wanna fight
I can buy myself flowers (oh)
Write my name in the sand (mmh)
Talk to myself for hours (yeah)
Say things you don't understand (never will)
I can take myself dancing, yeah
I can hold my own hand
Yeah, I can love me better than
Can love me better
I can love me better, baby (oh)
Can love me better
I can love me better (than you can), baby
Can love me better
Can love me better
I

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

My favorite "aro song" would probably have to be Call Me The Breeze by Lynryd Skynyrd.

Initially the song is about the singer's traveling life in being a musician, and that his moving about and singlehood is mainly related to that, but as an aro it's a song that, for some reason, hits right on the spot for me with its lyrics?

For anyone who hasn't heard this song before, a few lyrics that I'm talking about would be these:

"Call me the breeze
I keep blowin' down the road
Well now, they call me the breeze
I keep blowin' down the road
I ain't got me nobody
I don't carry me no load"

"Ain't no change in the weather
Ain't no changes in me
Well, there ain't no change in the weather
Ain't no changes in me
And I ain't hidin' from nobody
Nobody's hidin' from me"

⬆️ This set of lyrics I just love because it's that mix of certainty and defiance, especially the next lyrics, "Oh, that's the way it's supposed to be"

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
  • Like 1

There is so much aromantic songs that I like, I will try to list the ones I like that were not said before :

• Kissaphobic by Make Out Monday
  • Célibataire by Hugo Lapointe (this one is in French/Québecois and it might be the BEST AroAllo song out there)
  • Don't Fall in Love by Denko Jones
  • Turning out by AJR (I don't think it was suppose to be an Aro song, but it has the vibes)
  • Not a Love Song by Bulow
  • Heart Heavy by Mother Mother

• 4 weeks later...

Ain't Talkin' Bout Love - Van Halen

Song is about wanting a one night stand/friends with benefits arrangement instead of an actual romantic relationship.

Ain't talkin' 'bout love
My love is rotten to the core
Ain't talkin' 'bout love
Just like I told you before, before, before

Ain't talkin' 'bout love
Don't wanna talk about love
Don't need to talk about love
Ain't gonna talk about love
No more, no more

Also I really love classic rock, and it feels so good to have a song in this genre that I vibe with so much

I know I could prattle on about being an aro who loves coffee, but I love the analogy anyway

------

I also wanted to state that the song Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes feels very aro to me? Especially if you read the main singer being aro, and his wife being aro potentially as well, with how nonchalant the two seem to be in their relationship and how they're not drastically dependent on one another at all.

Also, the song "Born Free" by Andy Williams, hands down, a very good song in my humble aromantic opinion.

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
typo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aeroace

Some lesser known aro songs (they are all on Spotify):

Alright so "No Lover" from Jetty Bones is really relatable also through the other lines ("and mediocrity is something I've been trying so hard lately to avoid") and for me shows kind of the journey of an aro person accepting that they don't need a lover. It's really probably my favourite aro song.

Another song that is not really aro/ace but i like to take it as it is "They Don't Know Us" from Borgeous. Idk what the lyrics really mean, but 'they say we're broken, but we're just broke enough' (because of being called broken) and 'they don't see the way we love' (because other forms of love, or maybe even the way we /don't/ love) just speak to me.

Also 'my ted talk' by mxmtoon where it's about writing love songs but 'having yet to go out and try out' these things and in the beginning not being sure about wanting to be in love.

Also 'when' by dodie where she also states she has never been in love and she's "sick of faking diary entries" (relatable) to say she's been in love (and her memories tell her she loved, what i interpret as gaslighting herself [or maybe genuinely believing] that she felt that before, which is an experience I can relate to very well) She'll "take what i (she) can get because i (she) am too damp for a spark"  but beware, it has also to do with mental health things but i don't think it gets worse than "am i the only one wishing life away? never caught up in the moment, too busy begging the past to stay".  Yeah it has very much to do with amatonormativity.

Also how could I forget, 'Sit Still Look Pretty' by Daya is more about misogyny, yeah, but an aro friend showed it to me and since then I can't unsee aro from it.

'Crush' by Glades, basically about not wanting to be a person's crush.

'Golden Age' by Rosie Darling, talks about mental health and the fear of missing out on life ('where's my golden age?'), never being in love is mentioned in one line too

'Falling Behind' by Laufey, talks about how everyone around her is falling in love and she feels she's falling behind and how she feels that can't be right.

'i think i wanna be alone' by mazie, talks about how love makes her uncomfortable. Also again mental health stuff about how she can't even open up her phone, because she thinks the world is too terrible. 'you can't save this side of me so don't say hi to me'.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone here knows the music artist/screamer songwriter Stoj Snak, but one song I associate with aro-ness is "State of Mine." It's very good, has this feeling that reaches my soul. Some other songs I suggest aren't necessarily "aro feeling" to me but just good songs, is "Forgotten Phone" ( a song he submitted and had entered into a game where you find a lost phone and find out that the og owner was a trans girl), and "Fuck!" (which is basically a song he wrote for his support of the LGBTQ+ community. It is a song that says 'people should be able to sleep with whoever they want' and I know that those types of songs could be a turn off for some, which is understandable, but it's overall a catchy song).