Aro as child

JustMe

Somehow I see here quite often people writing about choosing a crush or having a relationship which didn't work due to their aromantism. I personally never liked romance in movies (although books are fine) and expressed this also as child. As teen I just kept this habit and never changed it.  By now even my family jokes about me being the old crazy cat lady?.

Anyone who did the same?

(Btw sorry for my bad English)

I didn't really did this (I always like romance in media though now I can more easily describe the romance that feels forced), but I remember as a teen, when I say to two friends that I'll never want to marry someone who works with me because I would have enough of seeing them. They look at me as if I was an alien because apparently, in a romantic relationship, one is supposed to want to be with their partner all the time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nonmerci said:

I didn't really did this (I always like romance in media though now I can more easily describe the romance that feels forced), but I remember as a teen, when I say to two friends that I'll never want to marry someone who works with me because I would have enough of seeing them. They look at me as if I was an alien because apparently, in a romantic relationship, one is supposed to want to be with their partner all the time.

I did something similar lol

We talked about a person who was (maybe) together with their coworker. And I was just like "no way they are a couple, who would like to be in a relationship with a person you see every day in at your workplace" Apparently this is a very common thing which people tend to do

• Like 4

I remember in Grade 1 my friend had a crush on a boy in our class, and she always wanted to spy on him at recess. I didn’t get the purpose of it at all - it just seemed like a boring way to spend recess. I also remember closing my eyes during kissing scenes at the end of movies, and I was quite annoyed by how people were always falling in love at the end of movies. It was like, that could have been a good movie - why did they have to ruin it with that unnecessary romance plot line?

• Like 4

On 8/2/2021 at 4:39 AM, Vivera said:

and she always wanted to spy on him at recess. I didn’t get the purpose of it at all - it just seemed like a boring way to spend recess.

boring and it also seems kind of creepy, I'm glad I was quite oblivious in school because if I knew people were doing that I would be really freaked out.

• Like 3

tbh other peoples crushes were the most exciting thing in my school so i was always chin resting like hello yes i am so bored pls give me drama.

still did not fully grasp the whole Crush thing but it was pretty fun. when it came to me tho less so :Squint: was a real ehhhhhhh do i gotta have one tho??

absolutely in media i was like "okay but WHY exactly is love a valid reason to do stupid shit huh?"

Oh, I was definitely in a lot of ways 'obviously aro' as a child, despite having no concept aromanticism and entirely expecting crushes would simply Arrive one day. I always talked about how I didn't have any crushes on anyone, didn't really get romance in media, couldn't really understand why everyone was so obsessed with crushes and dating. And that kind of just stayed the same with slight variation until I finally started id-ing as ace and then aro in high school. I think exactly no one in my immediate family was surprised when I told them, so much so I barely even remember my very first coming out clearly. xD (Though I do remember a lot of other conversations we've had around it)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Autumn said:

Oh, I was definitely in a lot of ways 'obviously aro' as a child, despite having no concept aromanticism and entirely expecting crushes would simply Arrive one day. I always talked about how I didn't have any crushes on anyone, didn't really get romance in media, couldn't really understand why everyone was so obsessed with crushes and dating. And that kind of just stayed the same with slight variation until I finally started id-ing as ace and then aro in high school. I think exactly no one in my immediate family was surprised when I told them, so much so I barely even remember my very first coming out clearly. xD (Though I do remember a lot of other conversations we've had around it)

THATS MEEEE XD

I dont even bother reading coming out to them bc it would change nothing. They don't even expect from me to be in a relationship bc I was always like "ugghhh rOmaNCe"

• Like 1

When I was like 11, I wrote a whole poem about how romance was stupid ? but most of the time I acted like it didn't exist (bc for me it didn't). I'm not out as aromantic or asexual but at this rate I think my friends and family would be more shocked if I did date someone. 

• Like 3