Amatonormativity in Music

Dethsdream

Ikr?? Like, I've been listening to "Best friend" by Queen and I thought that it was just a platonic song to show affection to your good friend. It turned out that it was actually romantically coded.

Agreed, it gets really tiring. I listen to a lot of instrumental music when I get particularly romance-tired.

5 hours ago, Alexander said:

Ikr?? Like, I've been listening to "Best friend" by Queen and I thought that it was just a platonic song to show affection to your good friend. It turned out that it was actually romantically coded.

I thought this too, and I really like this song :/ But I'll just keep interpreting in a platonic manner. There are too few songs about friendship as it is. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Alexander said:

Aww I’m a huge fan of Queen and this was sad to hear ? looking at the lyrics, yeah I can see that it could be romantically coded. Also it was apparently written by John Deacon for his wife so definitely ? 

Bruno Mars has a song about friends which I don’t think is romance-coded, though! It’s called Count on Me. I feel like this thread is inspiring me to make a friendship playlist ?

Edited by Dethsdream
Spelling is my mortal enemy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dethsdream said:

Aww I’m a huge fan of Queen and this was sad to hear ? looking at the lyrics, yeah I can see that it could be romantically coded. Also it was apparently written by John Deacon for his wife so definitely ?

Bruno Mars us a song about friends which I don’t think is romance-coded, though! It’s called Count on Me. I feel like this thread is inspiring me to make a friendship playlist ?

Yeah, I know that one from Bruno Mars! I like the lyrics, I'm not a huge fan of his music though. I usually only listen to rock, old punk rock or metal music. Sometimes anime openings (especially those from Attack On Titan, they are awesome), that's all I guess.

15 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Yeah, I know that one from Bruno Mars! I like the lyrics, I'm not a huge fan of his music though. I usually only listen to rock, old punk rock or metal music. Sometimes anime openings (especially those from Attack On Titan, they are awesome), that's all I guess.

I actually gravitate towards rock music too (especially classic rock) because I find that a lot of the music is more interesting lyrically than modern stuff is if that makes sense at all lol I really like Led Zeppelin and Metallica, for example! 

• Like 1

Usually I am fine with it, sometimes though it is very frustrating.

The thing that got me recently was when I looked for some sad songs, more melancholy music because I was in the mood for that.

It was very strange to find lists of music that were like: romantic heartbreak, romantic heartbreak, loads of people dying, romantic heartbreak.

Just, no. romance is not that sad.

• Like 2

AroPlane used to have a thread where people put all their favorite non-romantic songs.  That's how I found Halestorm lol

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:24 PM, alto said:

AroPlane used to have a thread where people put all their favorite non-romantic songs.  That's how I found Halestorm lol

Is it archived maybe someone could post that list haha I seen similar lists on reddit too tho

Yeah it's annoying I think also it just something that sells well too tho alongside a lot of the drugs and sex music around these days. I don't mind though music that was written for a lover or that tho its more the lyrics being so blatanly so lol, instrumental helps. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 3:54 PM, Dethsdream said:

actually gravitate towards rock music too (especially classic rock) because I find that a lot of the music is more interesting lyrically than modern stuff is if that makes sense at all lol I really like Led Zeppelin and Metallica, for example! 

Oh, so our tastes aren't that different. I love Led Zeppelin and Metallica! Metal and rock music is often more interesting than pop music. I think that pop music focuses on romance more often than rock, punkrock or metal music.

3 hours ago, Alexander said:

Oh, so our tastes aren't that different. I love Led Zeppelin and Metallica! Metal and rock music is often more interesting than pop music. I think that pop music focuses on romance more often than rock, punkrock or metal music.

Or even rap lol

• Like 1

OH MY GOSH why is every single song about love or sex??

Especially in pop, but even in jazz too. I’ve started to really enjoy songs like Devils Train and Fine Print that just tell stories. 

There’s also a song called Live Alone and Like It by Cyrille Aimee that is opposite of romance, and I LOVE IT! 

Moses Sumney is an aromantic artist that has some funky music, but it’s kot romance. 

Also, Ritt Momney is one of my favorites right now and he has a ton of songs that are very personal and not focused on relationships and I really love them. 

Whenever my friends put on music they’re all breakup songs, and it’s just really tiring. You would have thought society has moved on by now, right?? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ScarfOfSexualPreference said:

Whenever my friends put on music they’re all breakup songs, and it’s just really tiring. You would have thought society has moved on by now, right?? 

So I was with one of my friends, they're asexual and grey romantic and we were listening to the radio while driving to campus and this love song started playing, I forget what is was. We both weren't in the mood so I switched the station.  But then another really cheesy song was playing.  So again I switched it.  And then there was another. We switched seven stations before we just turned it off. 

Just.  Why?

Edited by crazydreamer
  • Like 4

On 6/15/2021 at 7:00 AM, Alexander said:

It would be nice if allos would stop using "friend" as a euphemism for "romantic partner".

• Like 1

For sure. Unfortunately one of my favourite songs has really amatonormative message in the first verse. It goes:

Spoiler

Love had always been a mystery, no I never could understand

Always said it'd never happen to me, no I don't believe in fairy tales

But you came along, you swept me off my feet surprisingly

Now I know that I was wrong, I'll never doubt in love anymore

Wouldn't be too bad if it was just a personal experience or something like that, but the fact that stuff like this and constantly being shoved in your face in every single song kinda sucks. Thankfully there's also quite a few songs that aren't about romance or whatever, I actually made a playlist to compile the ones I really like lol.

Edited by Hirune