Attractions Prioritised in Advocacy: Ace vs. Aro

Scoop

I recently saw someone saying that so much of asexual advocacy is "we still feel romantic attraction" and so much of aromantic advocacy is "we still feel sexual attraction". Their point overall was that aspec advocacy needs to talk more about other types of attraction, but that's beside my point.

As an alloaro, I personally feel that us saying we can still feel sexual attraction isn’t the same as aces saying we can still feel romantic attraction. This is a feeling and not something I can put into a real argument. I would say that in terms of aros there are less alloaros and in terms of aces there are more alloaces so it's unlikely they're coming from the same place. Except it's the same statement in the end, isn’t it? Are the results possibly the same too? I don't think so. I doubt anyone is going to start assuming all aros feel sexual attraction anytime soon, if ever. If anything my real question is where lmao. Where can I find this space where aros are talking significantly about sexual attraction? Bc I want in haha

Anyway I was curious what others thought of the comparison and equivalence. Is it accurate? Is it something aros should be concerned about? Do you know of any decent alloaro spaces? 👀

• Like 1

Lmao where are they hearing sexual attraction prioritized in aro advocacy? I mean, unless you count "allo aros begging to be accepted within their own community" as advocacy... I've been involved in aro advocacy for several years now and never encountered people trying to use allo aros as a bargaining chip with alloros. If anything, when it comes to discussions within the wider queer community, I see us used as an argument as to why aspecs shouldn't be allowed into the community- That "Chad the Fratboy" could easily pretend to be allo aro to get access to the queer community (as if straight guys want anything to do with it, lmao).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 2:17 AM, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I've been involved in aro advocacy for several years now and never encountered people trying to use allo aros as a bargaining chip with alloros

This sound right, I haven't been involved anywhere near as long but have already got the feeling that this is the case. I've never heard anyone argue that at least aros can still have sex and I have no idea why someone would try that. Sex outside of romance is not looked on favourably if you want to be taken seriously as a group.

• Like 4