Aro/Ace Spectrum Visibility

Guest Ivee

Hello everyone!

My name is Ivee and I am doing informal research about the asexual/aromantic community for a project in one of my classes this semester in order to teach others more about the importance of ace/aro visibility. 

I would really appreciate it if you could help me by indicating the following to me in the comments of this post:

Do you identify as being on the ace spectrum, the aro spectrum, or both.

How old you were when you first identified as being on the ace/aro spectrum  (whichever came first if you answered both to the previous question)? 

Hello! 

I identify as aro or aromantic with aro-spec implied. 

I do not identify as on the ace spectrum as I don't identify with a label for my sexuality, I am primaro, meaning I prioritize my aromantic identity. My aromanticism was the part of my identity which sunk in and was hard for me to accept after a hazy period of denial and skipping from label to label, so now that I can identify as aro it holds more meaning to me than any other labels which might be technically correct would. I do not feel the need to label my sexuality, as is, although of course that is subject to change.

I started identifying as aro-spec roughly around the time that I turned fourteen, personally/internally that is. 

I am both aro and ace; I started identifying as such in when I was 15, which was around 2015 (I think both age and the year are interesting info pertaining to when started identifying as a-spec)

I would also recommend that if you are trying to gather a reasonable sample size, a different format for collecting info might be better?  A different post format on this forums is a poll, where you can start it with some questions and then people can also post additional comments if they wish.  Here is a link to an existing poll to a) show the format of it on the forum and b) it is somewhat similar topic/the content might be of interest to you considering your own questions.

Also, if you are interested in aro related research in general beyond conducting your own poll, at this link AUREA has a page for aro research so you might find something helpful there.  Good luck with your project!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 4:41 AM, Guest Ivee said:

Do you identify as being on the ace spectrum, the aro spectrum, or both.

I'm identifying me just as aromantic. I don't feel the need to use labels connected to other orientations.

On 2/19/2021 at 4:41 AM, Guest Ivee said:

How old you were when you first identified as being on the ace/aro spectrum  (whichever came first if you answered both to the previous question)?

For the first time I identified me as aromantic and asexual while I was 23 years old. Now, when I'm 24 years old, I decided to abandon the label of asexual because I don't feel the need to use it. I feel me better using so aromantic label.

Aromantic since I knew of the term. And I am somewhere in the ace but not 100% sure where exactly.

I was 23 when I first identified as aro, 24 when I discovered that I may be in the ace spectrum, tho again, not sure where.

Hope you can get the data you need even if its informal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am aro and ace. I did some research and discovered the term asexual in 2015, when I was 15. I felt immediately like this would describe me, but I refused and it took me 5-6 more years to accept that I am ace. Only after I accepted it (when I was 20 yo) I started to think about aromanticism. Here it was harder for me to see myself as aromantic, bc I think it’s more easy to understand that you don’t feel sexual attraction than to realise that never being in love has another reason than just “haven’t found the right person yet”. Another big point in making it harder to understand* aromanticism is amatonormativity I guess.

but when I was 21 yo I realised that “my way” of being ace and the way my asexuality affects my life is and was ever deeply connected with being aro (even if they are completely different aspects of my identity) and so I started identify as aro as well.

*here I make a huge difference between “understand” and “accept”; from the day I first started to think about asexuality to the day I accepted it was way longer than the time from the day I first started to think about aromanticism to the day I accepted it. But on the other side I found it harder to UNDERSTAND what aromanticism is and that being aromantic is not a “late bloomer” thing than I did with asexuality.

hope this makes sense?!

Edited by Acecream
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...