How do I enter an queer platonic relationship with someone?

Happylolly

Yes, the other person def needs to consent to it.  And I guess I would just ask, "Do you want to be in a queerplatonic relationship with me?"  Prepare to do some explaining, and maybe have some articles on it on hand to back you up.

• Like 4

On 2/16/2021 at 5:18 AM, Happylolly said:

Does the other person need to consent to this?

.....mate, there is no situation where it's okay to have a relationship with someone without their consent. 

That said: A "queerplatonic relationship" can mean all sorts of different things. Most generally, it's a relationship that isn't romantic, but may not fit into the typical social norms expected of strictly platonic relationships or friendships. But what that means in practice can vary dramatically from person to person, and from relationship to relationship.

I'd recommend taking some time to sit down and ask yourself what specific things you want from a relationship, emotionally and practically. Do you want someone to share a living space and expenses with? Do you want someone who will be your primary emotional support, and vice-versa? Do you want someone you have sex with regularly, but not exclusively? Do you want someone you can make a mutual, long-term commitment with, but not marry?

Asking someone, "Will you be my queerplatonic partner?" is in my opinion kind of a nonsense question, because a "queerplatonic partner" can be so many different things. I recommend figuring out what you personally want from relationships in your life, and then when you find someone you think might be able to fulfil those relationship needs, asking them whether they'd be happy to do so. Be specific about what your boundaries and needs are, listen to what theirs are, and figure out whether they and you are a good fit.

If that all works out you may or may not choose to call your relationship "queerplatonic", but honestly, the nomenclature is secondary to finding something that works for you and your partner(s).

• Like 3

On 2/21/2021 at 1:02 PM, eatingcroutons said:

.....mate, there is no situation where it's okay to have a relationship with someone without their consent. 

That said: A "queerplatonic relationship" can mean all sorts of different things. Most generally, it's a relationship that isn't romantic, but may not fit into the typical social norms expected of strictly platonic relationships or friendships. But what that means in practice can vary dramatically from person to person, and from relationship to relationship.

I'd recommend taking some time to sit down and ask yourself what specific things you want from a relationship, emotionally and practically. Do you want someone to share a living space and expenses with? Do you want someone who will be your primary emotional support, and vice-versa? Do you want someone you have sex with regularly, but not exclusively? Do you want someone you can make a mutual, long-term commitment with, but not marry?

Asking someone, "Will you be my queerplatonic partner?" is in my opinion kind of a nonsense question, because a "queerplatonic partner" can be so many different things. I recommend figuring out what you personally want from relationships in your life, and then when you find someone you think might be able to fulfil those relationship needs, asking them whether they'd be happy to do so. Be specific about what your boundaries and needs are, listen to what theirs are, and figure out whether they and you are a good fit.

If that all works out you may or may not choose to call your relationship "queerplatonic", but honestly, the nomenclature is secondary to finding something that works for you and your partner(s).

I've have been looking for the exact explanation of how I would broach such a subject with someone and you've answered it in a nutshell. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...