I've started on my third aromantic moments video

Holmbo

I begun yesterday to look at the scenes I've been suggested. I don't have enough of them to make for a whole piece yet, I discarded some of the suggestions cause the scenes where to hard to get without context.

So far I got: Sex and the city, bloom into you, The Good Place and Loveless.

So I'm happy to take suggestions for other scenes to include. Something that gives you Aro vibes for a character   

These are the previous videos I made:
Aromantic moments 

Aromantic moments part 2

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

Some of those clips are really good, but I had no idea of them^^ The Anne one is sweet, and I feel the Little Women one too. Thanks for sharing^^

Thanks!

Do you have any suggestions of clips for my third one?

Sorry, I can't seem to think of any clips. Most of the aro examples I can think of are from books, and thatäs harder to clip. And even though I am currently reading a huge bookseries about nothing but aromantic asexuals, there are no real single moments that I can put down as an aro moment, if that makes sense. If everyone around you is ace-aro, it's no big deal, you know? So I don't have clips in mind, though I feel like I should have, with the backlog of things I have seen throughout my life. I think the system for accessing things out of my memory is kind of inefficient x)

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Sorry, I can't seem to think of any clips. Most of the aro examples I can think of are from books, and thatäs harder to clip. And even though I am currently reading a huge bookseries about nothing but aromantic asexuals, there are no real single moments that I can put down as an aro moment, if that makes sense. If everyone around you is ace-aro, it's no big deal, you know? So I don't have clips in mind, though I feel like I should have, with the backlog of things I have seen throughout my life. I think the system for accessing things out of my memory is kind of inefficient x)

Books are fine. Most of the time there are audio versions so I clip from that. And if not I'll do some kind of scroll by of the text. But yeah it can be difficult to find something that works out of context. Especially if the book really isn't about the aromanticism.

I started to watch the show Miraculous. The show in itself is very romantic, but Plagg is such an aro mood sometimes. In season 1 episode 10 (at minute 6:00), he says he doesn't understand how Adrien can be in love with Lady Bug even if he doesn't know who she is, and when Adrien answers that he doesn't understand love, Plagg says he does because he loves camembert or something like that. I've just seen this episode and think about your video, maybe it can work.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched a youtube thing called Cinema Therapy and they have one on Aragorn, and oh, all the no romo feels! I'd forgotten LOTR was so good. The death of Boromir would be a good one to include in your moments video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_KAnY5XNQ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 11:15 PM, Apathetic Echidna said:

I just watched a youtube thing called Cinema Therapy and they have one on Aragorn, and oh, all the no romo feels! I'd forgotten LOTR was so good. The death of Boromir would be a good one to include in your moments video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_KAnY5XNQ

I agree that's a great scene. I've not watched LotR since I learned about aromanticism. 

For the Aro video I'm looking for people who have some aro or aeospec vibes. But I'm also collecting clips for a broader themed video of relationship diversity. So I'm putting the death scene on the list for that one. Together with scenes from Amelia and Sense8. 

• 1 month later...

I saw you're still looking for things, so I like to suggest some things from Todd in Bojack Horseman. I think it is official that the character is allo ace, but there are scenes that make me think he coud be on the grey area of aromanticism. In particular, the episode 2 of season 3, when Emily asked him who is his crush and he answers he doesn't have one, before invented one as she insists (it is at 2:35, just after the intro).

There is also the first time he speaks about his orientation at loud, but I think it is more ace oriented.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 3:45 PM, nonmerci said:

I saw you're still looking for things, so I like to suggest some things from Todd in Bojack Horseman. I think it is official that the character is allo ace, but there are scenes that make me think he coud be on the grey area of aromanticism. In particular, the episode 2 of season 3, when Emily asked him who is his crush and he answers he doesn't have one, before invented one as she insists (it is at 2:35, just after the intro).

There is also the first time he speaks about his orientation at loud, but I think it is more ace oriented.

I'm up for including aspec. But could people take offense and see it as allo ace erasure? Since there are so few characters that are allo ace. Fewer than Aro ace I think.

16 hours ago, nonmerci said:

Depends if you call your video "aro moments" or "aspec moments" I guess.

I plan to call it aromantic moments. Maybe I'll ask around a bit online before I post it. Then I could also ask what people think about including a scene from the big bang theory. There's one that I think has huge aro mood, but the writing of that show is so problematic that it might sour that scene for some. 

Oh yes, Big bang theory. I headcanon Sheldon as demiromantic asexual, but I can understand why this character upset people... in particular, I still remember this scene when he says he was broken and Amy cured him, I wanted to scream at my computer.

Yeah such a wasted opportunity to do something fresh with the portrayal of relationships. Why not have them be asexual and in a romantic relationship? There's plenty of humour to be had there, with defying their friends expectations and such.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I asked on aro ace Reddit forum about including Todd and got no objections. Although one poster said they didn't like him as representation cause he's dumb.

I've not watched it like I said but I feel like a dumb character would be good representation since there are already many smart aro characters who "don't care about feelings".

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, Holmbo said:

I feel like a dumb character would be good representation

I agree, I think it makes it easier to feel accepted if you can point to people like you with a variety of traits and interests, and sometimes that means being represented by an idiot. I get the fear of groups that have been seen as less intelligent of being represented by someone who is canonically dumb but I don't think that is a problem for aromanticism.

• Like 2

I've found this on Facebook (from Lucifer, season 5, ep. 9)... however, I haven't watched this series so I'm not sure what's going on, but maybe it helps?

May be an image of 4 people and text

Later edit: I'm not sure whether it refers to romantic love or love in general now that I think more of it ;))) 

Edited by Georgi

23 hours ago, roboticanary said:

I agree, I think it makes it easier to feel accepted if you can point to people like you with a variety of traits and interests, and sometimes that means being represented by an idiot. I get the fear of groups that have been seen as less intelligent of being represented by someone who is canonically dumb but I don't think that is a problem for aromanticism.

Yes I don't think it is a problem. Plus Todd is not even an idiot (or at least, not that much), more than he lives in his own world. And even if he has some dumb ideas, he is also kind, always ready to help other, and very creative. A character doesn't have to be perfect to be a representation.

A sterotype of the aromantic would probably be the guy to intelligent to care about feeling, so I guess a dumb character as aro would not hurt.

@GeorgiI never watched Lucifer neither but I think it is not the first time I see someone talks about this possibility.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, Georgi said:

I've found this on Facebook (from Lucifer, season 5, ep. 9)... however, I haven't watched this series so I'm not sure what's going on, but maybe it helps?

May be an image of 4 people and text

Later edit: I'm not sure whether it refers to romantic love or love in general now that I think more of it ;))) 

Interesting!

I tried googling Lucifer aromantic but got nothing. I'll try reddit again to see perhaps.

• Like 1