Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello! 

I'm the mom of a 13 year old Aro/Ace girl. My daughter told me she was Aro/Ace two years ago. I'm 100% supportive of her. 

I do, however, need help understanding something, and I'm hoping you can enlighten and educate me. 

She says she is repulsed by all topics on relationships, and is repulsed by seeing or talking about other people in relationships.

In my mind, I think like this... I'm straight, but I would never be repulsed or upset at someone for telling me they are gay. I would celebrate with them when they found their soul mate. I would think that similarly, a gay person would celebrate if a straight person found their soul mate. Another example of my thinking. I'm not repulsed by someone who's Trans, and I would assume that they aren't repulsed by a non-Trans person. 

I'm wondering, is she going to never want to congratulate or celebrate with those who do find and embrace relationships? And if so, then how can I help her to navigate this world without seeming rude or impolite to those who are in relationships. 

So, my hope then, is that you can help me to better understand and relate to her. I'm open and full of love here. No judgements coming from me. I wish to learn. Thank you for letting me in, and for accepting me. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

So romance repulsion is definitely a thing, for aros, and alloromantic people. Personally, I fluctuate between romance (and sex) positive, indifferent, and adverse for other people's relationships. I still am happy for my friends. Sometimes, I even enjoy hearing about their relationships. However, every now and then, I'll be talking about romance and get the urge to just get out of the situation. I don't really get why, it just is how it is. And when romance is turned on me, it's the same. Just one big "NO" and feeling super uncomfortable.

As for what's helped me, I would recommend that she set boundaries with her friends. So they know what she is okay with discussing, and what she is not. I did that when I came out to one of my best friends, and so far, our discussions around that matter have been much more comfortable for me. She also has similar reading tastes to me, so can sometimes warn me if a scene will make me uncomfortable.

Additionally, I would make sure that she is aware of how her interactions change due to her romance repulsion. It took someone saying (not to my face) that he hated me for me to realize that my "ignoring" boys (so people wouldn't think I had a crush on them) was actually me being incredibly mean to them until they left me alone.

I also found this thread, which talks about different ways romance repulsion may occur.

I hope any of this helped!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neon Green Packing Peanut said:

Hi!

So romance repulsion is definitely a thing, for aros, and alloromantic people. Personally, I fluctuate between romance (and sex) positive, indifferent, and adverse for other people's relationships. I still am happy for my friends. Sometimes, I even enjoy hearing about their relationships. However, every now and then, I'll be talking about romance and get the urge to just get out of the situation. I don't really get why, it just is how it is. And when romance is turned on me, it's the same. Just one big "NO" and feeling super uncomfortable.

As for what's helped me, I would recommend that she set boundaries with her friends. So they know what she is okay with discussing, and what she is not. I did that when I came out to one of my best friends, and so far, our discussions around that matter have been much more comfortable for me. She also has similar reading tastes to me, so can sometimes warn me if a scene will make me uncomfortable.

Additionally, I would make sure that she is aware of how her interactions change due to her romance repulsion. It took someone saying (not to my face) that he hated me for me to realize that my "ignoring" boys (so people wouldn't think I had a crush on them) was actually me being incredibly mean to them until they left me alone.

I also found this thread, which talks about different ways romance repulsion may occur.

I hope any of this helped!

Thank you! Yes, this is incredibly helpful! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

it is great that you are so supportive of her. I'm sure that knowing you have her back is already a great comfort for her.

11 hours ago, CreativeCat said:

I'm wondering, is she going to never want to congratulate or celebrate with those who do find and embrace relationships? And if so, then how can I help her to navigate this world without seeming rude or impolite to those who are in relationships. 

I can only speak from my own experience as a 26 y.o. aroace. In my case I feel strongly repulsed by any form of public affection and intimate topics, meaning that even holding hands or just stroking each others back in front of me can already make me feel uncomfortable. This does not mean, however, that I do not support other people's relationship. I am still genuinely happy for them and congratulate them. Just, maybe from a bit further away. When I was your daughter's age, coping with that was really more difficult. Now, 13 years later I honestly can't say that I am less repulsed than before, but in a society where romance and all kinds of intimacy are a vital part of people's lifes, its impossible to avoid completely. Over time I have adapted a lot. I avoid what I can, and when I can't, I just endure it. In my case, I'm not out to anyone, so I can't really say anything, but if I were, I would like it if people who know about my situation would respect my feelings and not be too affectionate in front of me, but if certain forms of affection are important to them, I would also respect that. Communication and mutual respect are the most important factors in my opinion.

It is just a thought of mine and it might be a little bit of a stretch, but interacting with many people from different cultural backgrounds has helped me a lot in coping with different opinions and the like, as well.

This of course is only from my perpective and your daughter might have a different experience. I still hope that this could help you in some way.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Black Sesame said:

Hello,

it is great that you are so supportive of her. I'm sure that knowing you have her back is already a great comfort for her.

I can only speak from my own experience as a 26 y.o. aroace. In my case I feel strongly repulsed by any form of public affection and intimate topics, meaning that even holding hands or just stroking each others back in front of me can already make me feel uncomfortable. This does not mean, however, that I do not support other people's relationship. I am still genuinely happy for them and congratulate them. Just, maybe from a bit further away. When I was your daughter's age, coping with that was really more difficult. Now, 13 years later I honestly can't say that I am less repulsed than before, but in a society where romance and all kinds of intimacy are a vital part of people's lifes, its impossible to avoid completely. Over time I have adapted a lot. I avoid what I can, and when I can't, I just endure it. In my case, I'm not out to anyone, so I can't really say anything, but if I were, I would like it if people who know about my situation would respect my feelings and not be too affectionate in front of me, but if certain forms of affection are important to them, I would also respect that. Communication and mutual respect are the most important factors in my opinion.

It is just a thought of mine and it might be a little bit of a stretch, but interacting with many people from different cultural backgrounds has helped me a lot in coping with different opinions and the like, as well.

This of course is only from my perpective and your daughter might have a different experience. I still hope that this could help you in some way.  

Thank you so much for sharing! This is so helpful! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...