Aromantic moment that happened to me a while ago was having a conversation with a friend and them explaining how they would lie if needed in a court so their significant other wouldn't go to prison. I could not see myself lying for anyone in court. They tried to explain that it was solidarity, but I just couldn't see it to be me. Actions have consequences, and you cannot avoid a consequence just because you do not like it.

• Like 4
  • Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

me: *is happy* all of my family: "so who's the lucky lady?" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

was to a new years party at a friends house.  woman at the house: So are you bisexual? me: yes woman: so do you prefer men or women? me: uhm... I dont really work that way. wo

Every time I see a cheesy, cliche, or badly written love story in movies and am torn between constant facepalming and trying not to fall asleep. And then some of my alloromantic friends keep going on

Posted Images

Person says "I like you" and I don't get they don't mean it in a platonic/friendly way. Every. Damn. Time. I'm too oblivious for this world.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

An aromantic moment for me was encountering the following video, and agreeing that it may explain the relationship between aromantics (and asexuals) and social norms.

Edited by RepublicServicesVolunteer
  • Like 2

UGH! That video is so good! 

Part of the reason I don't like romance movies is because they make it seem like being in a relationship is the goal. Like "the busy business woman putting aside her business for the funny guy." Getting married and having kids shouldn't be the goal in life.

• Like 5

I always hated the whole Disney Princess thing when I was younger. I just found the whole storyline really boring. The only 2 I liked were Merida (from Brave) and Moana. I am now realising this must have been due to their lack of romance! 

I went to a really small primary school, there were only 2 boys in my year so I didn't really notice if any of the other girls were boy crazy. I did however feel this at high-school. Eugh. I did a lot of faking crushes to fit in and really not understanding people's obsession over the person they liked.

Yeah, fast forward a couple of years and the aro-ness in me can explain a lot of my past thoughts and actions 😂

(Oops, meant to post this in the Early Signs that you were aro thread. I guess it fits here too!) 

Edited by carnival_of_lights
  • Like 2

My university lecturer is talking about milestones in life: “falling in love, marriage, the first kid, kids move out, death”

umm well

• Like 3
On 4/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, Acecream said:

My university lecturer is talking about milestones in life: “falling in love, marriage, the first kid, kids move out, death”

umm well

Then the only milestone ahead of me is death :P. Sorry, I have crude humor. But honestly, I'm always amazed those are considered some of *the* goals in life. Often takes me down a mental rabbit hole where I think too much about the human condition.

Edited by NotHeartless
  • Like 4

After my nan died my grandad moved in and developed an affectionate relationship with his next door neighbour.

I didn't really care, firstly 'till death do us part', secondly it was a very practical arrangement. They keep each other company which has been very important to him during lockdown. Also it means they are both fairly well off in their old age as my neighbour was able to rent her house out which is actually worth about as much each month as their pension.

It has shocked me how a lot of people in my family are completely aghast at this. My uncle flat out said that if my grandad died 'she better be out of the house by midnight'. It seems like they view romance as a sort of force so vital that just having a practical relationship in old age is an affront to it.

• Like 6

So I grew up very indian-ly.  And when I was younger, I wanted to get a pixie cut (now I got one) and so I asked my mom and dad if I could.  My dad was VERY against that but my mom didn't care too much. So my dad and I got into a giant fight.  And so when my mom tried to intervene, my dad said, "Will she get married with that haircut?"

And I was like, "What?"

And he went, "You are going to marry someone with that haircut? No good indian boy will like that. This leads to bad marriages and other things, that's why the divorce rate is high in America."

And I was like, "That's why you don't want me to get it?"

Important lesson learned: Haircuts ruin marriages.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, crazydreamer said:

And I was like, "That's why you don't want me to get it?"

I would have honestly said: "bold of you to assume I wanna get married" I know indian culture puts some heavy weight in marriage, but for me, I do not want to get married and it wasn't until some years ago that I knew that it was my really my choice and not something I had to do. But yeah, my statement would most likely started war with your father.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, crazydreamer said:

The other day I saw on TV the end of an show about make over. After seeing the makeover of his girlfriend, the guy said : "before we were ready to break up, now we are ready to get married".

Which of course really confused me but... Apparently for certain couples, your father isn't wrong. 😂

10 hours ago, crazydreamer said:

Great, then we now know another way how to keep potential candidates for marriage away. Good insider tips! ;)

Edited by NotHeartless
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, nonmerci said:

After seeing the makeover of his girlfriend, the guy said : "before we were ready to break up, now we are ready to get married".

lol - which means that before the makeover she wasn't up to his fantasy

Makes one wonder why they were together in the first place...

But oh well, that's reality TV is, anyway

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, nonmerci said:

they were old. I mean, not that old, they were in their 40 or 50

ok wow, I had expected that to be a daft young couple not really having thought this through. That is insane to me that someone could get to their 40s and still not seem to get that people aren't going to be conventionally attractive forever.

• Like 1