Aromantic Moments

Spending time with a friend. Being shipped by another friend who is supposed to know you're aromantic. 

There are actually plenty of cishet people that just immediately ignore the fact you're aromantic even if you've explained it to them months ago ?? That's freaking tiring.

• Like 6

OoOh just remembered an aro moment!!

I used to forget that having a crush is wanting to be in a romantic relationship with someone specific

I would find my 'crushes' aesthetically attractive, just thinking that they are cute/ cool etc

I would just watch from a safe distance admiring them

So one day I kinda overheard some people talking about their crushes and they were talking about how their crushes aren't reciprocated and how they wanted to be in a romantic relationship with them

And my brain just stopped for a full 5 seconds trying to process that

• Like 5

To this day people think Every Breath You Take is a love song. They play it at weddings for Christ sake! It isn't. It's a song about obsessiveness.

“I think it’s a nasty little song, really rather evil. It’s about jealousy and surveillance and ownership,” Sting, 1983

I guess that tells you what love is all about?

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, AromanticAardvark said:

Having your whole friend group made up of like 60% aces, and yet being the only aro

Odd how things like that work out lol

Oooh yeah, I know a lot of aces but no actual aro in my relatives, that's true and kinda sad...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AromanticAardvark said:

Having your whole friend group made up of like 60% aces, and yet being the only aro

Odd how things like that work out lol

i know one ace and one aroace

nice that you have many ace friends though

my mother gave me a rundown of her love life recently when i hinted at my 'not feeling romantic love' stuff. it was horrible 0/10 would not recommend

• Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

That just reminded me of a similar experience I had in elementary school. All the other kids kept insisting that me and my best friend were a couple. And I absolutely hated that. Once, I got so fed up with the teasing that I just made up a crush right on the spot. I shouted "I don't like x, I like y!" in front of the whole classroom. Right after I realized with horror that I'd just announced I had a crush in front of everyone. Crap, crap, crap

• Like 2

Tbh same, the closest thing I think I've had is my whole summer camp deciding a friend and I were dating... despite the fact that he was ace, and I was pretty out about being aro lesbian. We ended up pretending we had been third cousins all along, so they couldn't ship us anymore

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AromanticAardvark said:

We ended up pretending we had been third cousins all along, so they couldn't ship us anymore

omg that's genius! wish younger me would've thought of that 😂

• Like 3

On 10/13/2022 at 11:12 PM, Whirl said:

That just reminded me of a similar experience I had in elementary school. All the other kids kept insisting that me and my best friend were a couple. And I absolutely hated that. Once, I got so fed up with the teasing that I just made up a crush right on the spot. I shouted "I don't like x, I like y!" in front of the whole classroom. Right after I realized with horror that I'd just announced I had a crush in front of everyone. Crap, crap, crap

hehe reminds me of an experience i had

i remember going a new school and i was shipped with a boy that i didn't even want to be friends with platonically for the (one) year i was there

they shipped us in a joking way and i was like "ew wtf" the whole time

like they'd be like "oooooh [A User] and [classmate] are such a couple!" and i always interject like "omg what the fuck" but it was always the other boys doing that (not the girls, they were actually mediocre people)

• Like 2

loving the friendship between two characters but then gets confused when the fandom ships the pair. i never get why they want to apply romance onto all the pretty bestfriends so bad. whats stopping you from enjoying their friendship that you have to make it romantic? they already have the dynamics and stuff. no need to change the type of relationship they have now

• Like 4

On 10/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, sevan said:

loving the friendship between two characters but then gets confused when the fandom ships the pair. i never get why they want to apply romance onto all the pretty bestfriends so bad. whats stopping you from enjoying their friendship that you have to make it romantic? they already have the dynamics and stuff. no need to change the type of relationship they have now

Oh I remember when I was so mad that two friends in a tv show get together cause I felt like it was the end of their relationship. When I discover I was aro, it made a lot of sense why I felt this way. For all the fandom it was the begining of something new they wanted to see, for me it was the end of something I already considered "ideal".

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nonmerci said:

Oh I remember when I was so mad that two friends in a tv show get together cause I felt like it was the end of their relationship. When I discover I was aro, it made a lot of sense why I felt this way. For all the fandom it was the begining of something new they wanted to see, for me it was the end of something I already considered "ideal".

bro put my thoughts into words

when friends advance into a romantic relationship theyre no longer friends me thinks. thats my logic

• Like 3

Almost everyone at my school is basically talking about crushes, romo relationships, who likes who romantically, who got in a relationship with who, dating etc whenever they get the chance

Like what happened to y'all

Its so weird cause everybody is suddenly interested in these things

Or was I just not paying attention to anyone

Edited by alien
  • Like 2

When I was a teenager my mom listened to the Oldies station a lot. In those days that meant mostly music from the 50s and early 60s. I noticed almost every song was love-themed. I asked mom why that was. She told me that when she was a kid she asked her father the same thing. His answer was "Because you can't sell a song about a hamburger."

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

On 10/30/2022 at 1:35 AM, The Gray Warlock said:

When I was a teenager my mom listened to the Oldies station a lot. In those days that meant mostly music from the 50s and early 60s. I noticed almost every song was love-themed. I asked mom why that was. She told me that when she was a kid she asked her father the same thing. His answer was "Because you can't sell a song about a hamburger."

A certain musician parodied songs about potatoes and spam though:

Edited by SkyTuneRein
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 9:44 AM, NewHamsterdam said:

In college, my friends and I get stuck with a roommate who essentially allows her boyfriend to move in with us, without ever asking permission. Their relationship is...loud, and he's an inconsiderate slob. This is made even worse by the fact that one of the girls in the room is Muslim, and can't wear comfortable clothing or let her hair down in her own dorm anymore, because it's anybody's guess when the guy will show up.

My friends and I get together to discuss future rooming arrangements, and we're all very glad to find out the roommate won't be joining us next year.

Friend: We'll finally get some peace and quiet in here. And [Muslim friend] can relax.

Me: Yeah, it'll be really nice. And you know, we should make a pact, so nothing like this ever happens again.

Friend: Oh? What kind of pact?

Me: We should all promise not to get boyfriends!

Friend: (looks at me strangely) Um, no. I'm not gonna promise that.

I was so confused; it seemed like the perfect solution to me. It wasn't until several months later that, looking back, I realized she wanted a boyfriend, in spite of all the trouble one might cause.

I cannot recall whether or not I replied to this after I saw this for the first time, but that is a serious matter. Religious freedom exist, and I am guessing this is the USA, so there must be some action you are able to take, and can take?

Can you contact the people who are responsible for roommate arrangements and complain? Have you tried to explain to the roommate why it is wrong for her to do that (which it would be, regardless of whether or not your Muslim friend in staying in that room)? Especially even more of a wrong thing to do because she lives in that room?

On 7/6/2016 at 9:44 AM, NewHamsterdam said:

In college, my friends and I get stuck with a roommate who essentially allows her boyfriend to move in with us, without ever asking permission. Their relationship is...loud, and he's an inconsiderate slob. This is made even worse by the fact that one of the girls in the room is Muslim, and can't wear comfortable clothing or let her hair down in her own dorm anymore, because it's anybody's guess when the guy will show up.

My friends and I get together to discuss future rooming arrangements, and we're all very glad to find out the roommate won't be joining us next year.

Friend: We'll finally get some peace and quiet in here. And [Muslim friend] can relax.

Me: Yeah, it'll be really nice. And you know, we should make a pact, so nothing like this ever happens again.

Friend: Oh? What kind of pact?

Me: We should all promise not to get boyfriends!

Friend: (looks at me strangely) Um, no. I'm not gonna promise that.

I was so confused; it seemed like the perfect solution to me. It wasn't until several months later that, looking back, I realized she wanted a boyfriend, in spite of all the trouble one might cause.

Huh, does your Muslim friend know that you're aromantic?

• Like 1