Jump to content

Interest in Google Meet Aromantic Socials


Recommended Posts

On 4/21/2021 at 9:55 PM, DogObsessedLianne said:

Does anyone have any preference for topic for May's meet? I was thinking about choosing a story or two or more from https://aroworlds.files.wordpress.com/2020/11/bones-of-green-and-hearts-of-gold-k.-a.-cook.pdf

(thanks to whoever put it on the google doc). I looked at the Aze journal but it seems much more asexuality based (though I do like much of the art work).

 

What do people think? I'll have a closer look at the Aro Worlds pdf over the weekend (I'm busy tomorrow) to see how long the stories are. Or would people like a month or there's about from now to read them all and then meet to discuss? Unless anyone is desperate for another topic? 4 weeks will be weekend of 22nd/23rd May.

It sounds like a wonderful idea! Thanks for the ebook :) 

 

im really going to try and be with you this time. Life has been very crazy lately, so I’ve been to busy, but looking forward to it :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2021 at 8:55 PM, DogObsessedLianne said:

Does anyone have any preference for topic for May's meet? I was thinking about choosing a story or two or more from https://aroworlds.files.wordpress.com/2020/11/bones-of-green-and-hearts-of-gold-k.-a.-cook.pdf

(thanks to whoever put it on the google doc). I looked at the Aze journal but it seems much more asexuality based (though I do like much of the art work).

 

What do people think? I'll have a closer look at the Aro Worlds pdf over the weekend (I'm busy tomorrow) to see how long the stories are. Or would people like a month or there's about from now to read them all and then meet to discuss? Unless anyone is desperate for another topic? 4 weeks will be weekend of 22nd/23rd May.

I've scheduled the next meet on Sunday 23rd May 1PM (UK time). This will be 8AM Eastern time. It'll be the same link. I suggest reading and discussing the first three stories: Bones of Green and Hearts of Gold, Monstrous, and The Vampire Conundrum. The second story looks tiny, hence choosing three. If we enjoy it and it goes well we can read the others at later dates.

Note, if you prefer kindle or epub there's also downloads here of the book https://www.patreon.com/posts/43665225

 

Here's the meeting link again: meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw

 

See you then :-)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've been making notes as I've been reading the stories, and then trying to read my scribble afterwards! I'm hoping to write down a few discussion questions before the event. If you fancy doing something similar, even if it's just one discussion question/prompt you bring to the event that is a significant topic for you, please note it down and bring it. Either that or let me know and I'll add it to my discussion questions and prompts :-)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really interested in the topic you've picked, I fucking love reading and shit abouts aros is even better. 

On 4/28/2021 at 5:55 AM, DogObsessedLianne said:

I've scheduled the next meet on Sunday 23rd May 1PM (UK time).

How long do these calls typically last? If I'm converting correctly then this one is at 10pm for me haha

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scoop said:

I'm really interested in the topic you've picked, I fucking love reading and shit abouts aros is even better. 

How long do these calls typically last? If I'm converting correctly then this one is at 10pm for me haha

It usually lasts for 1-1.5 hours, but you're welcome to leave earlier if you need to!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, DogObsessedLianne said:

@Holmboit is the same link as before, I try my best to keep the link active. For some reason your reply isn't coming up here but I received your comment on my email alerts.

meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw

Yeah I saw further up that you already said it was the same link so I deleted my comment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I forgot to say at the meeting is that I enjoyed the pronouns used for the witch. I like that is was a bit of a mix between him and her. Although I feel like it should be "se" rather than "ze". But maybe that just seem natural to me cause it's similar to how it is in swedish.

How did y'all like the pronouns?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Holmbo said:

One thing I forgot to say at the meeting is that I enjoyed the pronouns used for the witch. I like that is was a bit of a mix between him and her. Although I feel like it should be "se" rather than "ze". But maybe that just seem natural to me cause it's similar to how it is in swedish.

How did y'all like the pronouns?

Yeah, they're the neopronouns meant to be gender-neutral (https://intercultural.uncg.edu/wp-content/uploads/Neopronouns-Explained-UNCG-Intercultural-Engagement.pdf). The "z" thing has also been expressed by others, especially those who aren't English native speakers. 

I also use neopronouns myself (ey/em alongside she/her), so it was nice to see them used in the story! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2021 at 8:48 PM, Holmbo said:

How did y'all like the pronouns?

To be honest after the first few times I didn't really notice it.

I suppose because it fits with the way I expect english to work my brain just adjusted to the fact that that was how this person is referred to and then didn't think anything more of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding the pronouns, because the story was a fairy tail style it took me much longer to notice because at first I just thought it was just something to do with who / what the witch was. Half way through it clicked though, but it probably would have clicked much earlier if I wasn't in magical-mythical mindset!

I was thinking of Saturday 26th June 1PM (UK) at the usual link for the next meeting? The topic on the docs list that intregued me was "Building aro-friendly communities of care (or how to provide care to people who are not in partnerships/live alone/are single)". I feel that it could be an interesting topic because it possibly opens doors to supporting anyone who is single, and so could be a positive form of community aro awareness also. What do you think?

 

Sorry for the delay, a couple of things has meant a lot has been up in the air at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just pasting from the Facebook group:

"I’m just asking, is it not possible to have the meeting on Sunday afternoon instead? I totally understand if Saturday works better for the rest of you. I just thought there’s no harm to ask ☺️ If Sunday doesn’t work for the rest of you, then it’s ok - I’ll just look forward to next meeting instead. "

As far as I'm concerned I'm happy with this, but I thought I'd just give a little time for others to contribute?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, roboticanary said:

Sunday afternoon should work for me as long as it doesn't run too late so I don't mind either way. Did they say what sort of time sunday afternoon?

It'll be 1PM (UK) as I know there's people on different time zones.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sunday 27th June 1PM (UK) meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw

Topic: "Building aro-friendly communities of care (or how to provide care to people who are not in partnerships/live alone/are single)".
I feel that it could be an interesting topic because it possibly opens doors to supporting anyone who is single, and so could be a positive form of community aro awareness also.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Sunday 25th July 1PM (UK) meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw

Topic: "The Pride Conspiracy", "Abrasive", and "The Complexity of Human Decency" in the Book "Bones of Green and Hearts of Gold" which can be found at https://aroworlds.files.wordpress.com/2020/11/bones-of-green-and-hearts-of-gold-k.-a.-cook.pdf or https://www.patreon.com/posts/43665225 for the kindle or epub version.

Feel free to make notes and questions of anything you'd like to discuss as you read them.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The next topic I suggest is "Thoughts on Aromantic Manifesto", which can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/158QOrwOUri07DxwkwbQQddFwDRJbq0iK/view

It could be an interesting discussion! It will be at the usual Google Meet link.

I suggest the weekend of Saturday 14th / Sunday 15th at 1PM UK time - if you have any urgent preferences of date please let me know! Though I don't know how much later in the day I can make it because there's a regular attendee based in Japan.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m at an event with the Christian queer organization I’m a member of. It’s the first time I’m with them when being aware and open about being aroace. During introduction last night I told them and got very positive feedback. Even if a lot of people don’t know about asexuality  and even less about aromanticism they seem very interested in learning more. Today I’m thinking a lot about this group and how important it is to me so I wanted to take the opportunity to also say that. Thank you for being my aro group! 💚

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 2:33 PM, DogObsessedLianne said:

The next topic I suggest is "Thoughts on Aromantic Manifesto", which can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/158QOrwOUri07DxwkwbQQddFwDRJbq0iK/view

It could be an interesting discussion! It will be at the usual Google Meet link.

I suggest the weekend of Saturday 14th / Sunday 15th at 1PM UK time - if you have any urgent preferences of date please let me know! Though I don't know how much later in the day I can make it because there's a regular attendee based in Japan.

The next meeting will be Sunday 15th August 1PM (UK) at the usual link pasted below. We'll be discussing the "Aromantic Manifesto", see the link above which should be a good discussion. Feel free to let other aros know about the meet.

meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...