Jump to content

Interest in Google Meet Aromantic Socials


Recommended Posts

I was wondering whether people would be interested in a sort of regular aromantic-based online social on Google Meet or similar? Even without a pandemic, we seem to be too far apart for a dedicated aro-based social in person. So I thought about starting this thread to see who would be interested, and what time zones they are on, time availability etc etc. Maybe we could aim for once a month, even discuss pre-agreed topics, books, aro matters, general life, whatever people want from the socials really.

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, arohoneybee said:

I definitely would be interested! My therapist is always telling me to make more aro friends anyway 😅

Personally, I’m on Eastern Standard Time, and while my schedule varies, I’m almost always available 6pm and after :)

Evenings on Eastern Standard Time might be difficult for me because I'm in the UK, so I think I'm 5 hours ahead of you (I always get a little bit confused about time zones but I generally get there!) Would a weekend be better do you think?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a cool idea! Especially the bit about pre-agreed upon topics. I'd love to talk about aro books with other aros! The Ace and Aro Advocacy Project (TAAAP) is currently doing something similar with their Pride Chats - a bit more formally though I think. What you have in mind sounds chill. They'd probably be good people to get in contact with if you have any questions about arranging this kind of thing. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooh, sounds like a nice idea! I'm in the Netherlands (so Central European Time). I do have quite some other things going on, so I'm not sure how often I can join long-term, but at least while covid is around, my weekends are pretty flexible. I love the idea of discussing pre-agreed topics/books/life/etc with other aros in a chill manner. People can even take turns with choosing a discussion topic so the organizing burden doesn't fall on one person (or just let it free flow if we end up feeling that more as time goes on). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DogObsessedLianne said:

Evenings on Eastern Standard Time might be difficult for me because I'm in the UK, so I think I'm 5 hours ahead of you (I always get a little bit confused about time zones but I generally get there!) Would a weekend be better do you think?

Yeah for sure! 💚

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Scoop said:

This is a cool idea! Especially the bit about pre-agreed upon topics. I'd love to talk about aro books with other aros! The Ace and Aro Advocacy Project (TAAAP) is currently doing something similar with their Pride Chats - a bit more formally though I think. What you have in mind sounds chill. They'd probably be good people to get in contact with if you have any questions about arranging this kind of thing. 

OK, I'll look into that probably later this week.

Maybe we can organise a day and time for December, and I'll contact TAAAP. If anyone has any suggestions for topics to focus on please mention them here. I've got a couple of busy days this week, but then I'll have a serious think about organising a date and time probably at the end of this week or so. Until then, any suggestions for topics, and availabilities including country/timezones. 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be available on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays. In December, I'll be in the US with my family, so I'll actually be on Eastern Standard Time as well and I'd be fine with anything after 10:00 (so 15:00 UK time). Maybe using some sort of calendar planning could be helpful, such as https://whenufree.io/.

Is it an idea to share this with the Arocalypse discord once a date/time has been chosen? 

I have a suggestion for a first meeting (or as an intro part during the first meeting). Have any of you listened to the AOK podcast? I was thinking we could do something similar to how the host interviewed people, it could be a nice way for people to introduce themselves. First she'd ask people what they identify as exactly and what aromanticism means to them (what is their version of being aro). Then she'd ask them to discuss a favorite hobby or important activity in their lives. She would then always end with asking people who is someone important in their life. I'm not sure if this could potentially be too personal for people on a first meeting, though. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

this seems like a good idea, weekends would be preferable for me for something like this, I am far more likely to be around.

Agreed with @Erederyn, some form of introduction, what you identify as. not sure I would be comfortable  talking about someone important in my life on a first meeting but some sort of chat just to say who we are and what interests us would probably be a good way to start.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, I might suggest a Saturday, maybe late afternoon UK time (possibly around 4pm), either that or a Saturday evening UK time (7 or 8pm for example). I'll double check calenders and get back with a more precise date.

I agree with the introduction idea. Actually, any type of ice breaker to begin a meet is probably good. I personally haven't come across the podcast mentioned, but I'll see if I can look into it.

We could also have meets where someone has suggested a book that they have enjoyed (ideally non-romantic!) and we can give people a month's notice and it can be the discussion theme for a set meet. If it has a subject related to the book, this could also be discussed just to make it accessible for those who haven't managed to read the book. I've noticed that there's a book related thread here (

), and there might be other related threads. But I suggest the first meet to be more informal and relaxed, maybe based on the introduction theme and let the conversation develop.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DogObsessedLianne said:

OK, I might suggest a Saturday, maybe late afternoon UK time (possibly around 4pm), either that or a Saturday evening UK time (7 or 8pm for example). I'll double check calenders and get back with a more precise date.

I agree with the introduction idea. Actually, any type of ice breaker to begin a meet is probably good. I personally haven't come across the podcast mentioned, but I'll see if I can look into it.

We could also have meets where someone has suggested a book that they have enjoyed (ideally non-romantic!) and we can give people a month's notice and it can be the discussion theme for a set meet. If it has a subject related to the book, this could also be discussed just to make it accessible for those who haven't managed to read the book. I've noticed that there's a book related thread here (

), and there might be other related threads. But I suggest the first meet to be more informal and relaxed, maybe based on the introduction theme and let the conversation develop.

 

That sounds awesome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right,

I was thinking Sunday 13th December, 7PM (UK time)

meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw

Topic: Interests, Identifications and What Aromantism Means To You

Questions to consider: What are you passionate about in life? What are your hobbies and interests? Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? How do you identify as? What does aromantism mean to you?

These questions are for the virtual meet, there's no pressure to answer these questions exactly, but hopefully you get the general gist of the meet's topic. It might also be good to have a few minutes of feedback at the end to shape the following meet which'll be sometime in January.

See you then! I'll try and remind you nearer the time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, DogObsessedLianne said:

Right,

I was thinking Sunday 13th December, 7PM (UK time)

meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw

Topic: Interests, Identifications and What Aromantism Means To You

Questions to consider: What are you passionate about in life? What are your hobbies and interests? Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? How do you identify as? What does aromantism mean to you?

These questions are for the virtual meet, there's no pressure to answer these questions exactly, but hopefully you get the general gist of the meet's topic. It might also be good to have a few minutes of feedback at the end to shape the following meet which'll be sometime in January.

See you then! I'll try and remind you nearer the time.

Will be there! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2020 at 11:04 AM, DogObsessedLianne said:

I was wondering whether people would be interested in a sort of regular aromantic-based online social on Google Meet or similar? Even without a pandemic, we seem to be too far apart for a dedicated aro-based social in person. So I thought about starting this thread to see who would be interested, and what time zones they are on, time availability etc etc. Maybe we could aim for once a month, even discuss pre-agreed topics, books, aro matters, general life, whatever people want from the socials really.

I would be definitely interested! I probably would be muted though

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest AroAce w\ cats

I would be availible before 2pm or so (eastern time) on week days... so could we have multiple sessions?

also thank you all for providing a welcoming space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...