2 Spirit Cherokee Princess

Non-Binary Representation in Media

What characters in books, movies, songs, games, mythology, etc. are or seem to be non-binary?  I was inspired by an article about the game Call of Duty:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/call-duty-lets-gamers-play-222947450.html 

I'll also mention my all-time favorite Final Fantasy character--Quina Quen.  240?cb=20170520003214

And Mogumo from Love Me for Who I Am.  58147ccbe47db96b99f14072c00024acee9711ab

Edited by 2 Spirit Cherokee Princess

There's this really cool character in the Arc of a Scythe series by Neal Shusterman who is genderfluid. The character is a sailor, and they explain how when the light hits them in different ways, they change genders. Personally, it was one of the coolest, most powerful yet subtle ways of introducing a queer character. And it wasn't like this character was discussed once and never heard of again. No, like, this person is decently prominent in the book, and you see the other characters actively change pronouns and gendered terms. It was super cool, I loved it.

• Like 1

That's a good topic. Spontaneously I can think of many sci-fi characters that could fit. Some human and some alien. But maybe aliens wouldn't count as representation since they often have more than two sexes?

Edited by Holmbo
  • Like 1

@2 Spirit Cherokee Princess
Yeah I know what you mean.

For example one character that comes to mind is Tak in Becky Chambers book a close and common orbit. Tak is part of a species which has three genders. The third is when someone fluctuates between male and female sex. So they change sex at times. I'm not sure if this could be considered a non-binary character since it confirms with the gender identies their culture has. 

Edited by Holmbo
  • Like 1

there's Yuu Asuka from Hoshiai no Sora (Stars Align)! they had two little scenes where they talk about their feelings regarding gender with the main character. it was a really small subplot, but it was treated in a very respectful way and took me by surprise. the anime itself has many many flaws, but i'm glad at least these scenes were done nicely.

since most non-binary characters i've seen before are some kind of weird entity or not human (justifying their gender non-conformity), it's kinda refreshing seeing an actual normal person being enby. yuu is just a soft tennis club manager who is questioning their gender.

https://i.redd.it/sap3nqausp241.png (i'm not able to add images for some reason, so i put the image link)

Edited by babo_
  • Like 1

There was a historical moment in Polish translations of the games, because the person who was doing a translation for ’Bugsnax’ decided to keep a nonbinary character (Floofty) as nonbinary. The translator decided to use dukaizm forms for them. Polish is very gendered language and it’s very common that translators are doing ciswashing. There was also a very long discussion about Polish translation of ’She-Ra’ where nonbinarity of Double Trouble was erased. I don’t know if they corrected it or not.

• Like 1