tell me one (or a lot) of reason(s) you love being Aro!

neth

Other people have already said this, but I feel like being aromantic allows me to focus on aspects of life other than romance. People seem to be really preoccupied with finding a partner, and I'm a glad that I don't need to worry about that.

I also sort of feel like it lets me appreciate my non-romantic relationships a bit more. It feels like others tend to prioritize romantic relationships over friendships, and stop paying attention to their friends for the sake of romance. Or maybe that's just me...

Edited by queer_kaleidoscope
  • Like 7

For me it's the simple fact that I don't have to worry about falling in love like so many other people, because I'd say at least 80% of the people I know are in a relationship or have a crush on someone, and I can just focus on my algebra and poetry and Shakespeare

Basically, I can do whatever the heck I want without having to worry about "oh what would my crush/partner think about this" or whatever allos think. For me, my aromanticism helps me be free from the amatonormative standards of society because that's one set of rules that I'll never be able to follow, and that's powerful.

Edited by Badger for the Aros
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I love not feeling the need to dedicate myself to somebody, instead i can dedicate myself to my own happiness. I love being free, not being behind the bars of romantic relationships. I don't know why I often visualise it as a prison, but thinking about having a relationship makes me think of having to drop everything for them and leaving my career, my family, my friends, my dreams because of one person. It happens sometimes in real life, even if it's a happy relationship.

I love that friendships feel so much closer, being aro and when you find someone who is just absolutely amazing at understanding that, you get even closer and you feel so comfortable and safe to be around them and that feeling is just so great.

I love that our community is there for each other. It means being aromantic has a deeper meaning, you can connect with people instantly. All the aromantic people I have met so far have been so supportive. Especially this forum group, everyone here I've met so far, I will forever be in your debt for making me feel so so welcomed and understood, it's like I've finally found people who actually get everything and have answers and it's made living such a happier thing knowing that there are people here and that there is so much support. 

I love deciding my own future.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I like the fact I don't have to be what society tells me I have to be like getting into a romantic relationship and focus on my friends instead.

Edited by Aroaceing it
  • Like 3

Guest Hi, I’m bi & grayromantic

I’ve just recently found out I was grayromantic as well as being bisexual and I’m literally freaked out over the aromantic part. I wish I wasn’t aromantic, but there’s nothing I can do to change that… 😖

does anybody have any advice on self-acceptance?

• 4 months later...

I like that i can find people who know what i'm going through and people who accept me for who I am.Before i realized i was Aro i think i was just missing this and i was trying to fit into a world that i never will fit into.I love aro humor,memes and everything it's hilarious.I feel like i'm building stronger friendships than ever before.I like that i can do what i want without trying to please anyone else.I can focus on other things and do good in school because i'm not concerned about dating or crushes.I don't have to listen to societies standards.I feel like i'm a lot more confident now than before i knew i was aro because i just thought that i would find someone eventually or i'm just more mature than everyone else.I feel like people actually see me for who i am now(the one's i'm out to)and even people i'm not out to i think are seeing a more confident me.

• Like 5

I just love having a word to describe who I am. It’s something that I don’t think non-queer people really think about: that somewhere, there is an actual word that people know that describes something complicated about YOU.

Like there can be things you’re familiar with, and you know what they are, but they don’t have a name. But when you find the word for them, it just seems so perfect. (Like the word malinger means to pretend to be sick so you don’t have to do work! I’m sure lots of people are familiar with that idea, but there’s also words to describe that thing that we’re familiar with. That’s something cool about different languages, since they can have different words for concepts that otherwise are unnamed.)

So there’s this complicated, messy, undeniable part of me. But there’s word for it. And that’s the most wonderful feeling in the world.

• Like 4

i like being aro because of the culture

i like knowing that romance isn't the only way to wither up and die, i can live a life with friends and family alone and be just as happy as if i had a partner

i feel more able to express that aspect of myself, because for far too long i've hidden it away and pretended to want those things when all i want is a solid career and to make stuff for others

i think that i love being aro because the thing i've supposedly been supposed to feel for years doesn't seem to come for me, and the term for not feeling those things exists.

sure, it's not commonly talked about compared to gay, bi, pan, lesbian, and trans people, but it's a thing.

i feel like even tho the other letters of the lgbt experience heteronormativity, there's an even greater evil of compulsory romance and i feel that arospecs see that a lot more clearly than some members of the community do.

and i also feel like in our own way, we have our struggles, but in the end we can find a solution as one

sounds kinda sappy. i know.

at the same time, i feel more confident as i slowly accept this part of myself more and more. i guess im more able to talk  more about my experiences with a level of confidence i've never had before. you could say i feel empowered by aromanticism and i guess im more confident in my identity, even to those im not out to (which is a large number of people. you'd be surprised how irrelevant romance actually is in an irl conversation. there's rarely a chance to talk about it)

as i said before, and as other ppl said, having nor romance leaves time for more important things, from my hobbies and my TV shows obsessions to having dreams of being a TV director and doing math and all the boring subjects (and also the fun ones! like woodworking/technological design!).

tbh, i wasn't aware romance took up people's actual time in the first place, so knowing that it supposedly does kinda leaves me with free time where usually romance hormones would be doin shit

• Like 4

No wife, no in-laws, no child support, no divorce. My time is my own, my money is my own, my space is my own, my mind is my own. No concerns about having "market value" since I'm not concerned about attracting anyone. My very existence throws a wrench into society's value system. 

And being one of the few people who understood "Every Breath You Take" the first time I listened to it.

• Like 6