RoboticHumanoid

finding relationships annoying in stories

For the past month or more, I'm finding I'm just getting annoyed at romantic relationships in stories, especially the straight ones. I'm getting more annoyed than usual. almost to a point of frustration. i generally enjoy reading romance even if i myself have never experienced that attraction although it tends to get repetitive. I might just be shifting to a more romance indifference or repulse but i don't know. what do other people make of it?

I remember that when I discover that Ô am aro, my relationship to romance on fiction changed a bit. I still don't mind or appreciate it, but when it's bad written I become more repulsed, or when a character who has never got an interest before gets one I become annoyed. I think it goes with my understandment of amatonormativity : I'm more aware of it and it changed how I view romance.

7 hours ago, nonmerci said:

I remember that when I discover that Ô am aro, my relationship to romance on fiction changed a bit. I still don't mind or appreciate it, but when it's bad written I become more repulsed, or when a character who has never got an interest before gets one I become annoyed. I think it goes with my understandment of amatonormativity : I'm more aware of it and it changed how I view romance.

For me also it's more about amatonormativity repulsion than repulsion to romance.

• Like 1

My relationship with romance in media also changed when I accepted myself as aromantic. I used to love shipping characters and watching romantic plotlines unfold. I mostly liked them because I enjoyed the idea of a "special" and deep connection between two people and I always had a sense of expectation that it would happen to me too. When I realized I was aro, romance lost a bit of its shine for me, because it felt like something I could never reach and that made me feel lonely. I spent some time being sad about it and then I realized that what I actually wanted wasn't a romantic relationship, just trust, and connection with another human being, and I was made to believe by our amatonormative society that the only way I could ever have a meaningful connection was through romance. So now I don't enjoy romance as much because I can't help but be annoyed at the amatonormativity but I can still enjoy a well-crafted storyline and now I like shipping characters as friends or platonic partners (I get super mad when they inevitably "fall in love" in the end).

• Thanks 1

So, i questioned whether i was aro for a good while and finally just accepted it in april this year. i think amatonormativity has become more annoying with time. of course i can always enjoy a well crafted romance but I've grown a prejudice against trying to read something as there is a very real possibility there is romance in a story i don't expect it in or want it in. I just want some good friendships right now.