Honestly, I always find it a bit creepy when people ship other people in real life.
Then again, I also find some fictional romantic ships disturbing and/or pointless so maybe that's just me.
I just enjoy two characters I like interacting with each other and having great chemistry.
They don't have to be a confirmed pair at all, I just need the sensation of "yeah, they [would] get along great".
(because of their history / development / matching personalities, etc. )
I'm more of a platonic shipper, even in fiction I struggle with romance.
When it comes to fanfiction I prefer to read smut over romance and aroace (no sexual or romantic (sub)plot) - both can be tough to find.
For example, there is rarely smut which doesn't end up in romance.
My own works are focused on these preferences too. I feel too weird when I try to write romance, it always feels artificial and I don't want to feel sick while proofreading my own stuff. :D

I absolutely despise shipping people in real life. I think its a horrible invasion of privacy.

I wish I could stop shipping my OTP, unfortunately I don't want to leave the fandom just yet. Leaving a fandom for me means leaving any pairings I was shipping behind as well.

Guest Xinah

I like to ship my own characters when I'm writing, but it's never "a love at first sight" - I'm demiromantic, so that's probably why. Also no romance just to have romance, if you know what I mean. I H A T E real people shipping. Please don't. I know I would be really uncomfortable if someone shipped me with, for example, my friend. Ships in fandom are cool, I have a few "OTPs" and sometimes I enjoy reading ship fanfics, there has to be chemistry though. I also prefer canon ships. And as a sex-repulsed ace, I don't like lemons/smut.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:54 PM, Guest Xinah said:

I like to ship my own characters when I'm writing, but it's never "a love at first sight"

I remember when I describe the first crush of my character, not exactly "love at first sight" but he was indeed attracted to her at soon as he saw her. And it was si strange to write, the while time I was thinking "but that doesn't really happen in real life". Now that I know I'm aro, I understand why I feel this way about that scene. 

I usually ship in fiction when it is obvious that there is chemistry between the pair. (Ex. Dean-Castiel cuz it is just there the connection between both). I don't like real life shipping cuz I think that people are not toys to play with and thus making a ship between real people seems like playing. The only shipping I believe 100% is me with coffee tbh, other than that it is up to interpretation of the actions between the two or more inside the ship.

Before identifying as aro, I think I believed in Love at First Sight, even though it seemed weird. Now I do not believe that and kinda repulsed by the idea of it cuz I see it as unreal at best. People choose to fall in love, the do not fall in it, cuz the concept of falling is like a mistep, a mistake.

Lastly, my vision of otp and ships change when I finished watching on netflix sense 8, since the description made there (no spoilers) is what I would believe should happen.