The No-Romo Tavern: Aromantic D&D talk thread

I have not found a group to play with yet, but this thread explains so much about the bard I designed.

Aimed at the stereotype, the bard is very interested in people. But before any romance or bedroom action can happen they get so inspired they end up composing or drawing etc. To the frustration of previous people who where the subject of said inspiration ;)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

How much me being aro affects the way I play TTRPGs honestly really just depends on the group and, to a lesser extent, the system. For example, with one of my groups, we played Mallgoths vs. Visigoths, which as a system is somewhat geared towards romance, and my solution was "Hey y'all I'm aroace as heck and my brain short circuits if I have to roleplay flirting, so my character is going to be a hopelessly dense aroace icon who cannot pick up on romantic cues to save her life" and that worked great and resulted in a great running gag with that character, but that's probably not something I would do in a group that wasn't ragingly queer. Hell, even with my main group, who also happen to be my main friend group, I'm not explicitly out to anyone but one person (though I'm also not keeping it under lock and key and I'd be surprised if they haven't guessed, given they already know I'm queer and I've corrected them for using ace when they mean aro and referred to Artemis as an aroace arrow ace icon XD). It just hasn't really been necessary. Our campaigns are long enough form and everyone's respectful and communicative enough that if one of them wanted to do a romantic subplot with one of my characters, I'd be okay with it. A lot of my characters are still pretty aro-coded, even if I haven't explictly defined them as aro, but that's not always the case, and overall my tendency with making aro-coded characters there just falls into the general pattern of "Many of my characters (regardless of medium) are aspec because that's what I can portray most authentically and with the most nuance."

That said, I do always find it a little weird when my friends get excited about their characters having romance arcs. Like... glad you're excited dude and I'm sure if it's executed well I'll enjoy watching it unfold, but at the same time... what.

• Like 1

i'm running a lawful evil samurai warforged and i really wanted to take the opportunity to have him be aroace, but i think it'll probably just blend in due to the fact that he's well, a robot, which is kind of a shame really. will have to do that next time i create a non robotic character though

edit: he's a level 3 character (we're using milestone progression) but the game itself has yet to start. can't wait to play since i had my last campaign over a year ago

Edited by saucewisdom
adding additional information to post
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm taking part in a short campaign and i'very found a fun way to play as a bard character without any romance. 

I am a gnome and have put in my background that gnome music is kind of the fantasy equivalent of death metal.

So I'm able to have an interesting character that can get people pumped up for battle with angry gnome warsongs and I don't have to deal with romance.

• 2 months later...

I used to play D&D (3.5) with a group of friends for years before I had a falling out with one of the people in that group, but we never roleplayed any romance. One of my friends tried to once but that was such a hilarious disaster that we agreed to never try that again.

I’ve played short sessions of Fate Accelerated with other groups and since those were mostly one shots no romance was involved. 

As for characters I made a bard once, she was a hyper enthousiastic Aasimar that worked for some sort of cosmic travel agency to find new and interesting places. She inspired the party with glowing 5 star reviews of their actions.

• Like 1