book recs

sonne

I just finished reading "loveless" by Alice Oseman a couple weeks ago. It's about a character discovering that she is aroace, and also accepting and coming to terms with it. The book is amazing at showing off a diverse representation of characters. The whole cast of characters isn't white and there are other sexualities explored in the story as well. It was a real breath of fresh air to see aromanticism explored so deeply and this book got so soo many things right. I actually cried while reading one part near the end of the book because it described exactly what I wanted so perfectly. 

Another book with an aro character (though not nearly as great as Loveless, but I still enjoyed it) is "We go forward" by Alison Evans. This book is about two gals (one aroace, the other bisexual) becoming friends and going on a roadtrip together through Europe. It's rather short and sweet. And I'm a sucker for friendship so I love it. 

• Like 2

Record of a space born few by Becky Chambers has a pow aroallo character. The book doesn't use the term aromantic, but it doesn't label any of the the other characters orientation either. Instead it uses context to explain, having the  aro pow think that romance has never been her thing. 

The book is third in a series. But each book is pretty much stand alone. However if you do want to read them in order the first book is The long way to a small angry planet. In that book there's also an aroallo character, of sorts. It's an alien whos species doesn't form romantic bonds. 

I would highly recommend them if you want some feel good read with great characters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 4:46 PM, Emerald Cheetah said:

I just finished reading "loveless" by Alice Oseman a couple weeks ago.

Me too, that was acutally where I first read the term aromantic, didn't know about it before.

Has anyone read any of her other novels? From reading the blurbs I don't think there is another aro character but I'll definitely check them out and hope they are as good as loveless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...