Sign in to follow this  
parodace

Attraction types representation in aro/aroace community

Hello, a reddit user gave me advice to visit this forum, so here I am (yes, this is two posts connected together, so it's kinda a little retrospective). I came up with one idea and decided to share it with aromantic and aromantic asexual community.  I hope that you will find it interesting or useful.

So I’ve been in aspec community for a while and noticed some things:

1. People are often confused about aro/aroace community feeling attraction. Vocabulary just doesn’t reflect the true meaning of feelings behind simple and vague word “love”.

2. Card theme of aspec community is awesome but only spades are basically used for aces.

3. Fact that new aroace flag is literally Vriska palette made me to remember how card suits were used to represent different romance types of troll society. I also know that some people use its terminology in real life.

So I thought why not create something similar for aro/aroace community. I don’t say that everyone has to use it but I thought that it can be useful for some members. I chose five main attraction types according to wiki (besides romantic and sexual ones) but if more is needed, I'll make some. I designed the first version of symbols and published it on tumblr (I'm not going to attach it here). One user said that aros probably would like to have their own symbols, I agreed and decided to come up with another version, with arrows as it belongs to aromantic community. 

Why did I choose these symbols:

Platonic: The arrows are circulating to show how people in this relationship care and support each other. The second version is heart and the third one is inspired by Moirallegiance symbol.

Queerplatonic: It's three arrows (like >>>) in shape of heart as QPR is a strong bond and emotional commitment.

Sensual: it's inspired by Mercury symbol (☿) because in medicine it represents the sense organs. (Also it looks like holding two hands together with finger crossed but it's all upside-down).

Alterous: I've done more research and discussed it with some people. I came to conclusion that this is basically when you don't care in which relationship you would like to be with that person, you just want to be closer with them. So the symbol is two double-sided arrows crossed that looks like X and represents other four attractions (and I decided to give it meaning of a variable in math, like in some equations you can put different numbers and still get a right result, so here you come up with different relationships and get the satisfying result - being with that person together).

Aesthetic: it's inspired by Neptune symbol (♆) because this planet is associated with dreams/fantasy and artistry.

Don't pay attention to meaning of flags, I just want to show how it would look like. I personally don't suggest creating another flags, it's only a way to represent attraction. That's all for now, I would be glad to read your thoughts or suggestions, especially about terminology because I'm bad at this. Thank you for reading my post!

arrrrro-min.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

These are cool, but what about allo aros?

These symbols can be used basically by anyone with any flags if they have such feelings, flags on the attached image is just a preview. Or you mean adding symbols for other types of attraction? 

I like the symbols. I like pride flag colors in the symbols to represent where the other types of attraction direct to. So is the idea that you put these symbols on top of one main flag? In that case I think it might be a good idea to also have a symbol for sexual attraction. Aces have the heart over the ace flag but aros don't really have a way to show romantic and sexual attraction at once.

The other symbols look great. I can see them all being very useful to a lot of people.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, parodace said:

These symbols can be used basically by anyone with any flags if they have such feelings, flags on the attached image is just a preview. Or you mean adding symbols for other types of attraction? 

Symbols for other types of attraction, yeah, and also just... More inclusion in general? If you're trying to present something as being for the whole aro community, then talking about aroaces but not allo aros, or including the aroace flag but not the allo aro flag, gives the impression that we're not part of the aro community, which isn't cool. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but nonetheless, it's a common problem for allo aros.

2 minutes ago, Stoneandglass said:

I like the symbols. I like pride flag colors in the symbols to represent where the other types of attraction direct to. So is the idea that you put these symbols on top of one main flag? In that case I think it might be a good idea to also have a symbol for sexual attraction. Aces have the heart over the ace flag but aros don't really have a way to show romantic and sexual attraction at once.

The other symbols look great. I can see them all being very useful to a lot of people.

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it. The main idea was giving more attention to other types of attraction by creating and using own terminology and symbols to remove any confusion. Actually idea with flags just the first thing that I came up with. Yes, I think I'll add romantic (it will be useful for greyromantics, demiromantics, etc.) and sexual attraction symbols.