What are your pleasures of life?

Blake

23 hours ago, chairdesklamp said:

the soothing burn of certain pain salves

oh yes. do you have a particular favourite/recommendation? 

I was in and out of hospital a few times last month with pains (still slightly mysterious though I have a diagnosis, but the doctors followed it with a few question marks, so is it a diagnosis if it is a Diagnosis???) and the only thing better than their hospital painkillers was covering my belly with Goanna balm and hopping on a treadmill. 

On 7/16/2020 at 1:25 AM, Apathetic Echidna said:

oh yes. do you have a particular favourite/recommendation? 

I was in and out of hospital a few times last month with pains (still slightly mysterious though I have a diagnosis, but the doctors followed it with a few question marks, so is it a diagnosis if it is a Diagnosis???) and the only thing better than their hospital painkillers was covering my belly with Goanna balm and hopping on a treadmill. 

When I get sunburned I use Aloe vera It is I think a brand. Makes me feel really good, and it is in any pharmacy, at least form the east coast of US.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:56 AM, Blake said:

It is rather simple, what things you do that causes you to feel super great but at the same time, people don't appreciate them as much as they should be.

For me it is cleaning my earwax with q-tips (cotton swabs). idk why but it causes me to feel sooooo good, and my friends don't see at as something that off the world. :3 Maybe it is me, but I just love it.

So yeah, what are your pleasures of life? Be it an activity, a food, drink, etc. I would be happy to know what things causes us that sense of fulfillment and pleasure.

A few people have said it before, but also travelling. It's just awesome and it's even better when I travel alone (which I rarely get to do, alas). In general, I just love to explore new places alone even if it's just a park I haven't seen yet in my city. There's a hill nearby where our small airport is and I enjoy going there alone and just sit in the grainfields next to a small brush and read or draw or listen to music for a few hours.

I just found out how relieving it is to actively allow myself to fidget after subconciously repressing my fidgetiness for so many years. Probably also the reason I enjoy going to concerts and driving alone in my car so much. Concerts of pop-punk and post-hardcore bands are one place where it's socially completely accaptable to jump and fidget to the music and sing along and jump into a mosh-pit and I guess I'm able to let go of a lot of internalized pressure because of that. And driving in my car alone is nice because I can sing along to my car radio as long and as loud and as much out of key without annoying anyone.

Looking at the ocean, being on a boat, swimming, diving.

Cooking, trying out new recipes or ingredients, eating home-cooked food, drinking tea/coffee/juice/... while sitting on the balcony, having breakfast alone before my family gets up, having some really nice hot (or cold, in the summer) bevarage when I'm going somewhere and decide to have a small break in a café on the way.

Edited by Alin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Alin said:

Looking at the ocean, being on a boat, swimming, diving.

Cooking, trying out new recipes or ingredients, eating home-cooked food, drinking tea/coffee/juice/... while sitting on the balcony, having breakfast alone before my family gets up, having some really nice hot (or in summer) bevarage when I'm going somewhere and decide to have a small break in a café on the way.

I love looking at the ocean, but not on the beach, from a high point where the walls are high and you can hear the crashing of the waves. I haven't dived per se, only have swam to the seafloor a few times about 15 ft or so cuz I have good lungs.

I do baking ^^ mostly brownies and cookies. And I love coffee so I can relate to have a goof cup of coffee with breakfast alone ^^. When the pandemic is over I am going to visit coffee shops around where I live to taste them all.

One of the things that I enjoy is hearing a really good song for the first time, one of those songs that manages to trigger emotions and gives you shivers

Another thing is eating foods for the first time. I was allergic to a lot of things as a kid and there are some (in my country) standard foods that I have never tried. There is something wonderful about tasting something for the first time and my friends looking at me excited to see what I think of it 

On 6/28/2020 at 11:35 PM, aro_elise said:

this may not be a simple or surprising thing, but traveling.  i guess the thing is, i don't have to be doing a specific thing, like seeing popular attractions or whatever, just being in a different place is so cool to me.  i just walk around and get the feel of it.  i want to go everywhere.  i've heard that it's pretty common for americans to never leave the country, like not because of money or work or whatever but because they just don't feel like it, and that's crazy to me. 

On 6/29/2020 at 1:21 PM, Blake said:

I have heard this too, and I think like you. I love traveling too and since my budget is kinda limited my preference are cruises (cuz of unlimited food and I just love the sea) and also cuz I can visit more than one place. Only downside is that it is kinda quick, but it is cheaper and "safer" than traveling by myself to a place for the first time.

As an American with a family that think like that, can confirm it's a crazy thing that is unfortunately all too common.  I'm like y'all, but because my family doesn't value traveling like I do, I've only been out of the country once through a spring break trip to London through my university.  :c  And I long to repeat it each day, but I'll have to wait until I graduate to start traveling around the world with whatever time off I can get.  orz  But yeah, I totally second aro_elise with just being in a new place and getting the feel of it.  Just sitting in a park in a different country by yourself and simply enjoying the atmosphere is lovely.  There's nothing else quite like it.

Feeling the wind and listening to the pitter patter of rain are some of the biggest ones for me.  Along with just stopping and admiring how the leaves look so pretty when the wind blows them so they show their lighter colored undersides.  Just contrasts so beautifully with dark rain/storm clouds if it's raining.  ?  Love living near a forested area.  I'd miss it living in a city that lacks greenery, I think. 

Also doing something in a video game that you were previously incapable of, either in terms of leveling or strategy, is So Satisfying.  I love it.  Gives me a flood of serotonin every time I do something I previously failed at.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 5:15 AM, Alin said:

Concerts of pop-punk and post-hardcore bands

ahh that's my scene!  pierce the veil is my life.  i love concerts and of course just listening on my own.  and i'm learning to fry scream and when it actually sounds good it's so exciting.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:12 AM, Philotes said:

One of the things that I enjoy is hearing a really good song for the first time, one of those songs that manages to trigger emotions and gives you shivers

like when you check out a new band and the first song you hear is just love at first listen?  awesome.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:21 AM, Pierrot said:

But yeah, I totally second aro_elise with just being in a new place and getting the feel of it.  Just sitting in a park in a different country by yourself and simply enjoying the atmosphere is lovely.  There's nothing else quite like it.

exactly!

• Like 1

My band that was love at first listen was Bring Me The Horizon. The song was Hospital for the Souls. I loved every song of that album, Sempiternal. I would love to explore new places, to go hiking fro a whole weekend with my friends and just chill, and shall put them on plans when this pandemic is over.

Smell clean clothes

On 6/28/2020 at 9:56 PM, Blake said:

It is rather simple, what things you do that causes you to feel super great but at the same time, people don't appreciate them as much as they should be.

For me it is cleaning my earwax with q-tips (cotton swabs). idk why but it causes me to feel sooooo good, and my friends don't see at as something that off the world. :3 Maybe it is me, but I just love it.

So yeah, what are your pleasures of life? Be it an activity, a food, drink, etc. I would be happy to know what things causes us that sense of fulfillment and pleasure.

8 hours ago, Blake said:

My band that was love at first listen was Bring Me The Horizon. The song was Hospital for the Souls. I loved every song of that album, Sempiternal.

hospital for souls is a beaut--the spoken part at the beginning, ooh--but deathbeds is my absolute favourite.  and yes, while there is a hell goes hard as hell, sempiternal's gotta be their best.

• Like 1

@aro_elise There is a a sense of wholeness for me when I listen to their songs and scream it all out. And yup for me their peak was sempiternal, the new ones are good but they can't compete with it.

@Circe The smell of my onesie after it has been cleaned is so dam beautiful. Sure, the softener plays a role, but since it is one piece only it is in me everywhere ^^

Waking up and feeling your cat sleeping beside you, sitting on the porch and watching hummingbirds drinking nectar from the garden, Lofthouse cookies, finding a really good scented candle, especially one that smells like someone or a place you know. 

5 minutes ago, pigeonhead said:

finding a really good scented candle, especially one that smells like someone or a place you know. 

This is blissful. I have a candle that smells like one of my favorite coffee shop. I only use it when I want to feel completely at peace and has endured more than a year so far. Idk what I am gonna do once it is depleted since the person that did it is no longer living where I am