Aromantic Rings/Pride

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, aroMa(n)tisse said:

I've just got myself an aro ring and the ace one (my first two rings ever) and am confused as to where to wear the aro one :$ Which of the 4 options is the best, in your opinions?

I like the one with the ring on your thumb :D 

This is actually my preference too if we disregard aro symbolism; however, I don't believe this placement of an aro ring will become a standard because, I guess, the percentage of people who like wearing a ring on a thumb is small.

2 hours ago, Vega said:

@Chronos: If you google "how to make friendship bracelet," you can find a lot of different patterns and techniques.

This looks similar to what I do: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Friendship-Bracelet

Though in my bracelet, I knotted the two strands of the same color separately.

...but how do you make the arrow point pattern? I know the basic knot, but that's entry level macrame.

4 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

...but how do you make the arrow point pattern? I know the basic knot, but that's entry level macrame.

I have no idea, but maybe some website has instructions for more complex bracelets?

I love the idea of the white ring I'll probably get myself one :D

And for the bracelet I found this tutorial

and I thought it was really cool because the pattern kind of reminds me of an arrow.

29 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

Did you mean this pattern?

Thumb rings feel uncomfortable to me, and get in the way of doing pretty much anything with my hand. I really like the left hand middle finger position most, because it mirrors asexuality, and it allows someone with both traits to wear the rings comfortably. Wearing both an aro and an ace ring on the right middle finger would potentially be less noticeable. The black ring really stands out (at least on us white people), while the white might not be seen. I imagine that would be reversed for anyone with dark skin, where the white ring would be prominent and mask the black ring.

Whether comfort is a big consideration depends on when one is going to wear the rings.

Some people wear aro / ace rings as talismans, reminders to themselves about their ace pride. My only purpose of wearing the rings will be to give a signal to other aros / aces to approach me. Hence I'm going to wear them only when exposing myself to unknown people (mainly when moving around the city), when I'm not doing anything important anyway.

I wouldn't be wearing them all the time anyway because the ace ring makes holding a mouse uncomfortable.

41 minutes ago, Chronos said:

@aroMa(n)tisse

Very cool rings, I kind of want a pair now as well. What are they made of?

My personal pick is the first pic: middle finger right hand ace, middle finger left hand aro.

It's what I plan on doing when i buy my pair.

They're made of steel, the cheapest available material, with white / black enamel. The white one (SPIKES R-M1002) cost me $17 and the black one (R-M0170) $7.

Actually, the white ring has a black counterpart (R-M1001M), with the same silver chain pattern on a black background) but they're both old models, and the black one is almost out of stock - the local stores only had US sizes 5 (diameter 15.7 mm), 6 (16.5 mm) and 9 (19 mm) and 10 (19.8 mm) left, plus there's one used item of size 13 (22 mm) on Amazon. So I had to choose a different pattern for the ace ring.

A more popular example of a ring type available as both black and white is the One Ring (with the same inscription as the one appearing in Lord Of The Rings when the ring is heated) - SJW RW024 / RW051 - but it's more expensive ($45 per item) and, obviously, it's rumored to deplete the life force of the owner so I've been wary of buying it.

Thanks.

I have seen the One Ring, black, and almost bought it (didn't have the money at the time, alas). But I have never seen it whitish, to make a pair.

Also, I think you can't have a pair of One Rings anyway...

It's not recommended to humans to have even one (poor Isildur :( ), but real-world humans who buy them don't seem to care about it.

21 minutes ago, Chronos said:

About the bracelet, do you people think it would be too weird to have a single bracelet with both aro and ace colors?.

I wouldn't find it too weird, the question is whether aros will recognize it as a superposition of aro and ace symbols or just think that you're being fancy and wishing to have a ton of meaningless colors in the bracelet.

Btw, the same applies to a ring that consists of two circles, black and white. I thought it would be recognized as neither an aro or an ace ring, hence I chose to have two stackable rings instead of one black-and-white.

24 minutes ago, Chronos said:

About the bracelet, do you people think it would be too weird to have a single bracelet with both aro and ace colors?.

Maybe? You could just do it regardless :P

Also, there are a lot of patterns for thread braclets, so if you were willing to not do it in an arrow pattern you might find one where using both ace and aro colours combines better.

Hmm. I couldn't find black and white ceramic rings for sale on Brazilian web stores. Sadly I can't import anything yet.

I prefer a non metallic ring, to try and differ from the relationship/engagement/marriage ones. But I can't find that many options.

What about titanium? I have seen both black and white ones, but I don't remember where.

For black, you could also have a tungsten ring. Seems very cool.

5 hours ago, aroMa(n)tisse said:

I've just got myself an aro ring and the ace one (my first two rings ever) and am confused as to where to wear the aro one :$ Which of the 4 options is the best, in your opinions?

QTErw5k.png

RjaHP4H.jpg

8CIcd8d.jpg

XAhNbQS.jpg

I'd say one or four since as long as the ace ring is in the right place, the meaning of the aro ring will be easily inferred by any aros or aces.

These rings are gorgeous! I love the patterns on them and especially the silver trim (there was a ring I was looking at with silver trim but it was expensive so I opted for a packet of black rings for $13 instead haha)

I made myself an aro bracelet! I used the flag with the yellow in the centre as that's my personal favourite, but the white managed to get in there anyway because I decided to put a boarder on it (which is totally due to the connection to the flag and not because I have too white). It's also slightly too short, but the braid can't be any longer because the white ran out, so I'll have to come up with something for that. The other bracelet is the one I made to practice and I includedit because reasons.

OH3J4dm.jpg

0hzkdhv.jpg

Regarding @Dodecahedron314's ring, I wonder if other aros / aces would actually recognize it as a symbol if they saw it worn by someone in a street.

There are enough affordable black-and-green rings in the market, including silicone ones (by a lot of manufacturers; Google for 'black and green silicone ring'), e.g.

iIn545E.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, aihpen said:

I'm probably getting aro/ace rings in a week, if I find some in Hamburg. I've been thinking of these, because they are simple and I think there's a shop in Hamburg that should be selling these:

http://www.beringtime.com/index.php?id=21&L=0&ArticleId=550-60-X2

http://www.beringtime.com/index.php?id=21&L=0&ArticleId=550-50-X2

You from Hamburg or just visiting? Cause I life not so far from Hamburg myself =) 

7 hours ago, Kojote said:

You from Hamburg or just visiting? Cause I life not so far from Hamburg myself =) 

Just visiting. I live in NRW, about 3-4 hours to Hamburg by car, but I'm visiting Hamburg regulary ^_^ Actually I've been to Hamburg today xD How far is not so far?

Archived