#GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend

breaddd

I don't know who has seen this and I'm wondering what you guys think of this.

It was trending yesterday. I support it tbh. My only problems is where people scoff and say, "Steve and Bucky can't be just friends." (This is basically a bunch of Stucky shippers wanting their ship to be canon.)

I'm pretty sure we all know that they could definitely be friends. Friendship can be just as strong as romantic relationships. 

I support it because 1) bisexual visibility and 2) queer superheroes are the best.

I've just spent ages staring at this post and to be honest, I have no idea what my opinion is. I've been weening myself off the Supernatural fandom Tumblr community because I realised that the complicated going-ons behind things like this were destroying me and I had no idea what I was 'allowed' to think anymore.

I suppose in a very generalised statement I'm at least slightly happy whenever I see any form of representation because everything has a lot to make up for in that sense. And if I was just watching a Marvel film and Steve got a boyfriend then I would be fine with that, but knowing about this kind of thing happening behind the scenes kind of ruins it.

But overall, I just don't care about this shit at the moment.

I admit I'm a slasher at heart, so I like the idea. I mean, I LOVED Cap/Peggy, because come on, they were awesome together, but I can certainly get behind Steve/Tony (they have the best interactions) or Steve/Bucky (the friends to lovers thing is a cliche for a reason). However, I admit I'm always a bit bothered by how there HAS to be a love story. The winter soldier, for all of Natasha's ribbing, didn't have a big focus on romance, and I liked it that way. I don't go to see superhero movies for the love story, I go for the action and the cool special effects and the plot. I would love it if more movies like this made friendship their focus, because it can be just as powerful as romantic love, plot-wise, if not more so.

I feel like that's too long to be a convenient hashtag. :P

Yeah, like you I can't say. I do think we need more examples of close friendships, but also queer exposure is the best so why not.

Also, less romance plz. I hate it when action movies stop the action for a makeout scene. But it might be less anoying (at least less cliche) with a same-sex relationship.

8 minutes ago, Vega said:

I feel like that's too long to be a convenient hashtag. :P

Yeah, like you I can't say. I do think we need more examples of close friendships, but also queer exposure is the best so why not.

Also, less romance plz. I hate it when action movies stop the action for a makeout scene. But it might be less anoying (at least less cliche) with a same-sex relationship.

True! Tbh I haven't thought of the over exposure of romance that might give me. I go to action movies for the explosions xD 

I just like the visibility. I haven't given much thought to much else. I'm mostly focusing on all the "not straight" jokes that could be made :D 

I'm all up for LGBT Heroes but just remember that it might not happen or a different hero could be queer. Just don't let people drag you down the rabbit hole and count chicks before hatching or whatever because it's not canon until it's canon (I'd be gutted if Rey from Star Wars wasn't aro ace so I'm not clean of this but hey whatever)

I think it would be perfect if the boyfriend wasn't Bucky? Like maybe because of the intensity Bucky would think it has to be romantic/sexual, so he would do some gesture. And Steve would go "Whoa mate. Nope. I'm bisexual btw, but for one, you are not my type, and two, I see you as a friend and it would be weird, so can we rather not please."

And then he could have a boyfriend, but I dunno, a twink? A bear? Anything else that isn't this muscular, beefcake type all men are in those movies.

tbh i love stucky? its great

and i would honestly love to see a trend toward 'this is a romantic same-sex couple, and this is an important het friendship' over 'but cant two guys just be friends???? meanwhile look at het pairing #2439023499 but LOOK this one has a ginger'

2 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

I think it would be perfect if the boyfriend wasn't Bucky? Like maybe because of the intensity Bucky would think it has to be romantic/sexual, so he would do some gesture. And Steve would go "Whoa mate. Nope. I'm bisexual btw, but for one, you are not my type, and two, I see you as a friend and it would be weird, so can we rather not please."

That sounds brilliant! :D I doubt that there will be a queer romance anyway, but I'm all for this.

13 minutes ago, peridotty said:

and i would honestly love to see a trend toward 'this is a romantic same-sex couple, and this is an important het friendship' over 'but cant two guys just be friends???? meanwhile look at het pairing #2439023499 but LOOK this one has a ginger'

Same. I think it would get people to think outside of the norm.

Overall, I think just having a bi Captain America would be awesome.

On the one hand, I totally agree that there needs to be more representation of every MOGAI identity out there, and considering the amount of people who already support this ship, I think that if ever the Marvel/Disney conglomerate wanted to take that leap into *gasp* progressivism, this would probably be one of the most feasible places to do it. On the other hand, it really gets on my nerves to no end how whenever there's a friendship that's stronger than how friendships are normally portrayed, people immediately say "NO that's too strong it must be romantic!!!11!!!1!!". We need representation of very emotionally significant friendships just as much as we need representation of same-gender relationships, in my mind. However, I'm also very aware that "they're just friends" has also been used to erase same-gender couples since essentially forever, so I don't think there's really a right answer in this situation.

On 5/26/2016 at 4:04 AM, peridotty said:

Oh yeah I agree with that. I think there's so few non-canon-heterosexuals/-romantics out there, that all of us non-heteros are competing over a tiny pool of characters for representation.

So I think we need to have more canon LGBT+ people from the start and we'd never have this problem...

Also I think that so many hetero relationships in movies are boring because we've all seen the same thing about 50 million times. At least a gay one would be different.

Why does he need a boyfriend or girlfriend at all. I'm against "forcing" any character to be something they're not for the sole purpose of making a political statement. There is actually a lot of gay representation in mainstream media anymore, isn't there? It seems every movie or TV show I watch has gay characters and they have relationships on them. What we don't have are happily single people being portrayed in mainstream media. That's a hashtag I can get behind. 

4 hours ago, The singleton said:

There is actually a lot of gay representation in mainstream media anymore, isn't there? It seems every movie or TV show I watch has gay characters and they have relationships on them. What we don't have are happily single people being portrayed in mainstream media.

Well... Could you please list those happy, living gay people?

Yes, there are queer characters, but most of them are vilified, being used as a joke or are killed off. Quite often brutally. Even on so called queer shows that are directed by people who are someway lgbtq+ themselves.

I agree, seeing happily single people on the big screen is rare. Movies in any genre without romantic subplots are rare.

But the big difference is, people aren't targeted just because they are single. Single baiting isn't a thing. If a character is canonly outed as lgbtq+, its highly unlikely to see them actually survive more than like 3 episodes.

^ Also, there's really no LGBT+ superheroes. Maybe Deadpool, though they didn't really focus on that in the movie and anyway it's a bit of an anomaly.

I feel like LGBT+ characters are more likely to appear in movies that are about being (usually) gay, but those tend to be emotional baiting and personally that's not the kind of movies I'm interested in. Which is why I'd like to see more representation of all kinds in action movies.

Single people are admittedly also the butt of jokes, what with all the "lol you can't get laid" type of crap thrown at them, or just showing them as ridiculously immature or somehow stuck up. And they're always assumed to be straight anyway, just unable to get anyone.

On 28/05/2016 at 10:04 PM, Vega said:

Oh yeah I agree with that. I think there's so few non-canon-heterosexuals/-romantics out there, that all of us non-heteros are competing over a tiny pool of characters for representation.

So I think we need to have more canon LGBT+ people from the start and we'd never have this problem...

Also I think that so many hetero relationships in movies are boring because we've all seen the same thing about 50 million times. At least a gay one would be different.

There's also the idea of assuming that characters are hetero by default.
Even where the vast majority of the time their orientation is undefined.

It's also possible that characters who appear to be monosexual are actually polysexual.

That is also true. And there's definitely prejudice against bi-/poly-/pansexuals as well; everyone is either gay or straight (usually straight) and it seems like some people actually forget non-monosexuals exist.

Actually, I've seen some LGBT organizatiions say that people are either gay or straight...

Also there is this belief that making a character "too PC" is bad writing. That writing minorities is some sort of honourable charity and we should be amazed they cast a brown actor in 2016.

You know what? Imagine Captain America is bi, Bucky is trans and played by a trans actor who isn't passing as cis, Black Widow is ace, Hawkeye is Hoh and uses ASL, and we gonna have a black guy playing Spiderman and none of their identities are treated as a shock factor or a source of drama.

Minorities can be relatable characters. They are just people.

Like hell yes, give us that female black muslim Link... If a director wants, they can have a diverse cast, and they can add drama by more interesting means than killing minorities or the hero's girlfriend/mother.

Just because someone is disabled, they can still be trans and gay? How dare somebody be part of several minority groups simultaneously? That's unrealistic. You know what is realistic? This straight white cishet calvin klein model guy who can change the weather with a hammer.

Apparently Thor was red haired in the original myths. But Marvel has more green heroes than Asians or Latinxs or *insert ethnic group here that isn't black guys*

Also more Chris's than women...

But yeah, it's really unbelievable that the only people with superpowers would all be attractive white cis males. (Makes slightly more sense in the case of Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne, white cis het males are more likely to be given opportunities and thus be richer.)

I think the problem is that too many writers basically panic when they have to write a woman or a racial/ethnic minority. "Wait I don't know how women think! Uhh.. EMOTIONS! And like, periods and clothes and stuff, right!?!?!?" Someone once made a point that male characters are often written as power fantasies ("I would like to be this guy!") where female characters are written as sex/romance fantasies ("I would like to impress/hook up with/date this woman!")

It does feel like pandering bullshit when a moviemaker shoves a minority in the movie then makes them the most stereotypical asshole ever, because then you realize that the character is only there for some token diversity. But a well-written character is wonderful, and them being some minority makes it more interesting just because we've not seen it as much.

Agreed on the multiple minorities. Could we maybe have a nonwhite woman in the MCU? (I don't count Gamora, she's green.) I mean, I really want Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers but come on, they made a talking tree popular why can't they do it with literally anyone?

@Vega Just for the record, T'challa in the canon has a lot more money than all the grumpy oatmeal in fancy suits combined. But we never actually got to see it, and people just assume.

We talking about productions with huge resources. If the writer isn't sure, they usually do research. You can find guidelines, prompts, and tips on how to portray minorities with dignity if you have a basic internet access and speak english. I'm sure they have the means to hire a a person or persons to point out these problematic things.

And really, just use a little common sense. Seriously, you have a whole team designing props and nobody noticed that the wheelchair bound guy's own house has stairs at the front door? You telling me, they spent a heap of money on blowing the whole thing up and putting it back together in CGI, but nobody actually looked at the place?

A good writer has to be able to write things they do not have personal experiences with. We talking fictional worlds here, so that is pretty much the job description. They could do it, but they do not want to and make up excuses.

I'm just not buying it.

Marvel actually has lots of woc, but they just treat them as props. I loved the new Storm on Xmen. And then there is Lana Condor, she could have done more things. Olivia Munn could have done more than run around with swords in a fancy battle bikini (did they just manage to make it racist and sexist at the same time? good job). And then Scarlet Witch, she could have been rromani.

On 25/05/2016 at 5:20 PM, breaddd said:

Friendship can be just as strong as romantic relationships. 

I support it because 1) bisexual visibility and 2) queer superheroes are the best.

I agree with you, I think it's the same thing with #giveelsaagirlfriend. I don't care if Elsa ends up being aro, ace, homosexual, pansexual or whatever, as long as there isn't another heterosexual/romantic cis princess. It would be cool too if she is not queer but doesn't get married, to show that you don't need a romantic partner to be happy and that it isn't the goal of life. 

Oh right. I guess it makes sense, what with him being king of one of the most advanced nations on Earth and all.

BTW I am super excited for Black Panther the movie. :D

Agreed, nowhere.girl, that any LGBT+ character is great.

I guess for me having a confirmed aro/ace character that I liked would be amazing coz I could stop constantly worrying about when the filmmakers will choose to give her a boring Love Interest and I will once again be reminded that the majority alloromantic world thinks I'm a freak.

2 hours ago, Nowhere.girl said:

I agree with you, I think it's the same thing with #giveelsaagirlfriend. I don't care if Elsa ends up being aro, ace, homosexual, pansexual or whatever,

I personally don't want her to be aro or ace in case ignorant people associate agrophobia and isolation and other dumb stuff with being aro or ace. I'd much rather see an aro ace character who is contributive, has interesting personality and is a bit less mopey (kinda like Rey from Star Wars)

6 minutes ago, Louis Hypo said:

I personally don't want her to be aro or ace in case ignorant people associate agrophobia and isolation and other dumb stuff with being aro or ace. I'd much rather see an aro ace character who is contributive, has interesting personality and is a bit less mopey (kinda like Rey from Star Wars)

Someone who commented on a FB post pointed out that though being an ice queen is kind of an aro/ace stereotype, at the same time the movie was all about people coming to accept that her icyness was a positive. Which could be used as an allegory.

Not sure if I agree 100% with that but it was an interesting point.

10 minutes ago, Vega said:

Someone who commented on a FB post pointed out that though being an ice queen is kind of an aro/ace stereotype, at the same time the movie was all about people coming to accept that her icyness was a positive. Which could be used as an allegory.

Not sure if I agree 100% with that but it was an interesting point.

I'll be honest, I've only seen up to the bit where Anna starts slowly being killed by Elsa and then the ending when family love fixes everything forever but it's just the fact that for her whole life Elsa shut everyone out and there's that whole joke of "Elsa the cold bwitch" and she has to learn to speak to her family let alone her kingdom without breaking down so I get what the post says but... are we even supposed to like Elsa?

Also I really didn't like frozen so sorry if I'm condescending and judgemental. Just don't take my biased view for gospel, or do I don't care.

Elsa showed many times that she loves her family and her sister, but the thing is that when she was little, she almost killed Anna with her power, and she couldn't control her power (she created tons of ice and didn't know how to thaw it), so she lived like a hermit in order to protect Anna and the rest of the world. If she had strong emotions, she could kill someone so that's why she seemed cold, as she didn't want to hurt people.

Archived