Do you want to raise children?

Do you want to raise children?  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I most definitely never ever want to be pregnant or spawn any humans... the thought of that just makes me feel disgusted. I don't find babies cute at all... I also don't particularly like most kids. They are humans, so I like some of them, but as a generalization... no (same with adults). They seem to adore me for some weird reason though... like someone else mentioned, I just treat them like regular people, so maybe that's why. That is what they are, after all... just small people. I never understood why people invent an entirely different alien personality for themselves when they're talking to children. It just seems insulting to both parties somehow.

I'm cool with adoption, but I still don't think it'd be a good idea for me to do that. I don't enjoy spending so much of my time doing things for someone that, honestly, someone else would be way better at than me anyway... I should be doing other things with my life. :P

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

I think I'll probably adopt.

The idea of being a birth mother doesn't bother me, but being a sex repulsed ace makes that a bit difficult (yeah I know there are other ways but, you know...)

I guess i know that there is a lot of kids waiting for adoption- I'm going to learn sign language for my job when I complete my degree in speech pathology, and in my career i want to work with Coda kids (hearing children with deaf parents). So I might potentially try and help foster/adopt any deaf children who need a home...

If i ever find someone to be in a QPR with I'd hope we could adopt children together.

My first child to adopt however, is going to be a puppy... :)

• Thanks 1

I would have no problem being a step-parent as long as my partner understood that if they ever wanted another it would not becoming out of my body (of course I don't know what anatomy my future partner would have so this may or may not be a moot point), but the only thing concerning my body that repulses me more than the idea of having PIV sex is the idea of being pregnant/giving birth. And IVF is even more ridiculously expensive if you have to pay a surrogate to be pregnant for you as well; plus I'm not overly fond of the idea of carrying on my terrible genes or bringing another life into the world as it is.

That said, I've always liked kids and am good with them and I think I really would like to foster and/or adopt regardless of whether or not a step-child is in the picture because those kids are already here and they need someone to love and care for them.

What an interesting thread! I don't want kids, and i've felt this way for years, long before i started to define myself as aromantic. So i don't think my orientation had an effect on this. I think aros can be just as good at parenting as anyone else. In my case, not wanting kids is about me not wanting to change my lifestyle, and being selfish enough to accept this ;) Kids deserve nothing else than a 100% commitment!

I don't mind being around kids, and i'm pretty good with them. I worked as a school librarian years ago, and it was one of the most interesting jobs i've ever had. So i'm one of those people who's OK with being in the "fun aunt/adult" role, until the parents take the kids home, haha!

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't want to raise children and I don't think me being on the aromantic spectrum have anything to do with that. Anyone can decide whether they're willing to have kids or not no matter what their sexual and romantic orientations are. 

• 2 years later...

as a alloromantic and allosexual person, im okay to handle some child around, BUT NOT IN MY HOUSE TnT i mean im okay with my current life but if one day my parents die by any reason or i get alone, i think i would adopt some kid, i think its fun to see some kid and watch how its grows up .... but my own child? i dont think, im indifferent about it also i dont think its much my thing, also i dont think i gonna have partner for raising child, the reason i chose im not sure is cause i can handle a it or being indifferent about it and im 40 percent dislike, 20 percent 40 percent like it, looks fun indifferent and how ever i prefer those old baby doll they wont grow up they not alive so im more comfortable.  also i guess i prefer animals, how ever, srry for my bad comments just wanted share my thoughts like other.....

• 1 year later...

Yes, however it is very expensive and I’m by myself. I do not own a home and would be raising them on a single income without a partner to help me. Daycare is expensive but I would need it because I have to work. I just don’t know how I would do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2016 at 8:16 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

(Note: worry not, no small children were sacrificed in the making of this post. And yes, that was an exaggeration, I don't actually dislike small children enough to sacrifice one to a volcano. Almost, but not quite, because basic human morality.)

Describes me well.

Also, no, my aro-ness and ace-ness, or any other -ness, has nothing to do with me not wanting children. Those are two different things.