French is the Class of Aromantic Awkwardness

So today we were supposed to do this fortune teller thing in French and predict future stuff for a partner. One of them was who you'll spend your life with.

I may or may not have announced to the class my partner will live alone with their dog, and apparently that is extremely offensive. The class started laughing at me and my partner, which made me feel really bad. Sorry :(

So romantics think it's extremely offensive to suggest they'll live alone? And yet they still find it ok to say that aromantics will change when we meet "the one™"?

1 hour ago, Zemaddog said:

So romantics think it's extremely offensive to suggest they'll live alone? And yet they still find it ok to say that aromantics will change when we meet "the one™"?

I knew it from the moment I saw you. I knew they wouldn't understand. Someone like me, and someone like you...together? No. We weren't supposed to be together. But we were meant to be together. I knew you were the one™.

I opened up the door to my car, and you bounded in, barking and wagging your tail. Oh, Fido. If only you knew what was in store for you.

I don't see why that would be such a bad thing. No offense to any humans, but dogs are much better company anyway. But I guess most people don't feel that way. I'm still trying to understand why one of my friends always sounds like it's the worst thing in the world whenever she mentions how she's going to be forever alone.

When someone says I'm going to be forever alone,  I just joke about being a " cat lady" and kind of go with it. In my mind it's hard to make someone feel bad about something if they laugh back at you.

12 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

I may or may not have announced to the class my partner will live alone with their dog, and apparently that is extremely offensive. 

so like romantics can make 'forever alone' and 'cat lady' jokes all they want but as soon as someone tries to make that a good thing suddenly its offensive mmkay glad we got that sorted out ¬¬

Most romantic people tend to see finding a partner and/or having/adopting kids as a defining and necessary part of their life... which is why the stereotyped "crazy cat lady" thing exists. I guess people don't think they can live a happy life without those things, which seems kind of ridiculous.

3 hours ago, peridotty said:

so like romantics can make 'forever alone' and 'cat lady' jokes all they want but as soon as someone tries to make that a good thing suddenly its offensive mmkay glad we got that sorted out ¬¬

Basically. I'd feel annoyed if my comment hadn't gotten my partner teased. I wasn't meaning that as a joke, but I guess people don't like having the 'cat lady' label applied to them even if it's positive.

And my French teacher was obviously shocked I'd say something other than marriage. She was like 'Really? Are you sure that's what she would want?' in that voice like I'd just said something awful.

I genuinely do not get why it would be offensive to say somebody will live alone with a dog. That's not rude, that's literally my dream life. That, or with a cat or a best friend ;)

8 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

And my French teacher was obviously shocked I'd say something other than marriage. She was like 'Really? Are you sure that's what she would want?' in that voice like I'd just said something awful.

I genuinely do not get why it would be offensive to say somebody will live alone with a dog. That's not rude, that's literally my dream life. That, or with a cat or a best friend ;)

Your teacher probably has no comprehension of how offensive and hurtful that the assumption that everyone wants to get married (or live a similar lifestyle) can be to aromantic people too.

J'étais un peu confus quand @Louis Hypo a commencé à parler en français . Heureusement, j'ai Google Translate pour me aider. En outre , étant célibataire semble être la pire chose pour la plupart des gens romantiques . Personnellement, j'aimerais être une dame de chat . Cela semble en fait assez impressionnant, et beaucoup mieux que les enfants .

Edit: I re-translated to English it and it sounds kind of odd...I don't think I'll fix it though bc I don't know French.

5 minutes ago, Louis Hypo said:

Merdique translations @breaddd! Aussi, qu'est-ce qu'une dame de chat?

Lmao, a cat lady is supposedly a lady who never gets married and turns crazy from loneliness. She also is obsessed with her cats. A lot of romantic people will joke about becoming a crazy cat lady or "forever alone".

I'll often say I'll become a cat person (without the crazy/lady part) and turn it into a positive thing with people I know. Cats are pretty and I'd rather have that than romance or children.

Pour ma part, je suis une folle aux chats, aux chiens, aux poissons, aux plantes vertes et aux ordinateurs, j'en suis fière et tous ceux qui ne sont pas contents, je les emmerde en français, en anglais et en langage SMS (oups, quand même pas ça, c'est trop horrible) :P

Archived