Public Displays of Affection

SkyWorld

Tbh I think it really depends on the situation but if there's one thing that I hate seeing in public on every occasion, it's making out. At high school with my friends we had this spot in the yard that we always used for lunch and one day this straight couple just started using the spot right next to ours and would be making out ALL THE TIME, like litterally everytime I peaked in their direction they were making out. This lasted about a year and after a while I started wondering how they didn't get tired of it.

I don't have a problem with making out in itself, just... don't shove it in everyone's faces.

For the rest of it, I really don't have a problem with it unless I'm in a group of friends and a couple starts getting all lovey-dovey on their side. I mean if they exchange a quick peck, OK, but starting to touch each other and kiss a lot even if it's not making out just seems so disrespectful because hey, there are other people around that you agreed to spend time with, there isn't just the two of you in the room.

• Like 2

You know, its not really that PDA bothers me as much as the reminding of who its for. 

Where I live I see people walking around hand in hand pretty much everyday, kiss on the street and such. However 99.9% of the times its what I considered people of opposite genders. 

I hardly ever seen 2 men holding hands in public, unless its a gay pride or something. I have seen it 2-3 times in my life for women maybe alittle more frecuently but its also pretty rare. I also know alot of the time its like this due to safety. 

so while PDA doesnt bother me much (exept maybe finding it annoying when two people cant keep a conversation cause they need to kiss every third second) its more I get annoyed on thinking how PDA is only really for some.

• Like 1

On 7 June 2016 at 11:30 AM, Natkat said:

You know, its not really that PDA bothers me as much as the reminding of who its for. 

Where I live I see people walking around hand in hand pretty much everyday, kiss on the street and such. However 99.9% of the times its what I considered people of opposite genders. 

I hardly ever seen 2 men holding hands in public, unless its a gay pride or something. I have seen it 2-3 times in my life for women maybe alittle more frecuently but its also pretty rare. I also know alot of the time its like this due to safety. 

so while PDA doesnt bother me much (exept maybe finding it annoying when two people cant keep a conversation cause they need to kiss every third second) its more I get annoyed on thinking how PDA is only really for some.

I live in the gay capital of Britain and I'm not homophobic, I just fear all romance so I'm romantaphobic

Meh. I'm OK with folks making out as long as they're not too noisy (sometimes female moans in my house are way too loud and i start wondering whether some neighbors are just having sex or, all of a sudden, being tortured). When folks make out in public transport, I pity them for being so much not in control of themselves that they can't even wait until they arrive home :P

• Like 2

Things I do not mind:

1) Holding hands (it seems natural and friendly and non disruptive)

2) Hugging (It is a natural response and important in both social, romantic, and QPR relationships.)

Things that I dislike:

1) Making out, or kissing more than once. (Such as a parting kiss. It seems inappropriate to draw attention to yourself with making out in front of anyone)

2) Sexual or physical "Hints". (Slapping ass, or humping etc. Is extremely inappropriate. No one wants to see that)

3) Favours (I need no explanation here, please no)

• Like 2

I like the traffic light analogy.

For me: 

Green = hugging in a non-sexual way (as contrasted to that full-body rubbing-up-against-each-other kind of hug that couples do when making out), touching each other's shoulders, arms, backs, hair.  Holding hands.  Chaste kissing (short pecks on the cheek/forehead/nose).  Leaning against each other.  Resting their head on the other's shoulder.

Yellow = long kisses.  Draping themselves on the other person in a languid/sensual manner.  Running fingers through the other person's hair. 

Red = Touching areas of each others' bodies that are normally covered by a swimsuit.  Walking along with their hands in each other's back (bum) pockets.  Open-mouth/French kissing.  Rubbing up against each other.

There are two universities right near my workplace, and my area has university residences/dorm buildings practically surrounding it.  For some reason, amorous couples often seem to think our parking lot is a prime place to make out and worse.  Sometimes they're in cars, but most of the time, they're not.  
Hint to the kids going to Laurier and University of Waterloo:  Our parking lot has an extensive CCTV system.  Wave to the cameras.  You might want to leave quickly, because you've now pissed off an aromantic, sex-repulsed, asexual security guard, and this isn't going to go well for you.

• Like 2

It depends. Am I forced to watch it, because of the situation I'm in? Cause then I think that most people wouldn't like it. 

F.exp. theres a couple in a group event and they won't stop sticking to each other like glue and displaying affection. That's just plain rude. If you didn't want to be there for the group, just go home, but don't turn it into your two-person make out party... at this point, I'll even be bothered by flirting and hand holding, because again, this is a group event among friends, if you're that into your partner, that you've forgotten to care about anyone else, please just don't attend.... 

I'm at a café, in cinema  at a lecture, at public commutes and someone is making out infront/besides me. This is more concerning deep kisses, groping and dry humping. Again: simply rude, really not the place for that! You're kind of dragging other people into your PDAing If your into that, there's clubs for that! Open spaces aren't your living room. Usually, the closer they sit next to me, the more pissed I'll get. At least got your own corner... :facepalm:

Other than that I don't mind at all. As long as I don't have to actively notice it, I'm completely able to blend it out =) If it makes them happy go ahead and show your affection in any way. Just, please, remember a simple thing if you want to get a little more intense: Can people walk away and ignore you? No. Well then don't.

• Like 2

I don't mind seeing people holding hands or giving each other light kisses, but full on make out sessions and groping need to be taken somewhere where I don't have to see it. I also can't stand the baby talk and annoying squealing sounds. It drives me bat shit crazy. Part of this is due to listening to my sister and her bf talk like a couple of 3 year-olds for 4 years strait, but it has the same effect on me as nails on a chalk board. I can't stand it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hey you in the corner said:

I don't mind seeing people holding hands or giving each other light kisses, but full on make out sessions and groping need to be taken somewhere where I don't have to see it. I also can't stand the baby talk and annoying squealing sounds. It drives me bat shit crazy. Part of this is due to listening to my sister and her bf talk like a couple of 3 year-olds for 4 years strait, but it has the same effect on me as nails on a chalk board. I can't stand it. 

Oh yeah... the baby talk!  I'd blocked that out of my memory.  Yes, that is *vile*!  And *disturbing*! 

Any insight into why people do that?  It just seems so *wrong*!  Ick!

• Like 4

I don't see a lot of PDA, thankfully, because the people in my school are quite private with their romantic gestures. Like, making googly eyes at each other, or hugging? Yeah, we have that sometimes but I've honestly never seen any Code Red here. 

(Also possibly because we're a really small school? So less people = less couples.)

I have no problem looking at a couple being discreetly romantic, like looking at each other, leaning on each other, hugging, holding hands, being genuinely affectionate. But hearing "babe-speak" or actually looking at full on making out makes me slightly uncomfortable. Okay, it just grosses me out. Lots. Mainly because the idea and action of kissing to me is weird and I totally don't understand it. Mouths are a sacred place. And also the entrance to your gastrointestinal tract which is kind of connected to your cardiovascular system which is linked to you immune system. So. You know. Don't put things into your mouth if you don't know where they've been.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UncommonNonsense said:

Oh yeah... the baby talk!  I'd blocked that out of my memory.  Yes, that is *vile*!  And *disturbing*! 

Any insight into why people do that?  It just seems so *wrong*!  Ick!

I don't know, but I had really hoped that after 4+ years in a relationship my sister would have grown out of it. Now I have to listen to it whenever they come to visit. *shudder* 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

it seems I was quite lucky in school that it didn't happen obviously. I think my eyes/brain airbrushes lots of things out of my notice though, or I am so indifferent that my brain dismisses it the instant I see it. That is all about seeing or not seeing though, I am quite sensitive to what I hear. Loud making out noises, baby talk, continuous use of sickening pet names, and "I love you. No, I love you more" conversations all go into the red zone for me. Actually I will add a black zone, for baby talk and feeding behaviour, they make me nauseous. That is just so wrong. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...