Romanticizing Aromanticism

breaddd

No deep conversations about feelings! I always felt more than uncomfortable when my ex wanted to talk about our situation. I also agree about the freedom to do anything I want and whenever I want. 

A lot of people end up in relationships that are abusive in a way or another, because they just can't help their overwhelming attractions... :S

I've been binge-reading the Metafilter thread about emotional labor this weekend, so: as a female, wayyyy less emotional labor for the hypothetical husband. No keeping up with the MIL because he refuses to pick up the phone and getting flak for it if their relationship suffers for it, no 'honey, you left the bathroom a mess' ' oh, it's not important', no 'I don't see clutter'. 

This probably isn't a very common one, but I really enjoy playing 'spot the romance before they kiss' because when I was younger I absolutely never saw the romance in things. So now as an adult it's fun to try and pick up what 'everyone else' is seeing as a weird little game.

Not being obsessed by somebody 24/24 h.

Being more likely to give a very special and treasured place to friendship (not saying that romantic persons don't do it, but it's definitely less common).

No unsanitary saliva exchanges.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah yes, I've seen some romantic asexuals describe unrequited love as the worst thing in the world and heart breaking and other such dramatic things.

On one hand it made me feel really bad about all those times I pretended not to know someone had a crush on me in order to avoid conflict and how much I must have hurt them but also that's not my problem and I am not responsible for anyone else's feelings.

But yes this dreaded feeling that is "being friendzoned" sounds nice to live without.

• 11 months later...

You can genuinely call books with love triangles ridiculous, (without being hypocritical) because you will never be in that situation :P

On 14/05/2016 at 10:43 AM, Louis Hypo said:

If someone's being an a-hole I don't care whether you're hot or not or whatever alloromantics think

This is my favourite. YOUR PHYSICAL APPEARANCE HAS NO AFFECT TO ME. I'm pretty sure being immune to looks is our superpower :aropride:

• 4 months later...

My life feels fairly complete. I am not searching out The OneTM and dating and keeping a exclusive romantic partner happy seems like a lot of work. I can go on holidays and do exactly what I want until I get homesick, I need only send off an email saying "I'm alive" regularly to one family member, but otherwise don't have to worry about another person's feeling. 

It is basically all the awesome things everyone says about being single all the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm adding to the personal freedom category with: Not having to commute.

One of my colleagues spends two hours in the car every workday. She would happily move to the town we work in and she can afford it, but it would be too far away from her boyfriends work.

just heard this one! 

I know someone who had to check what they say as their partner doesn't like hearing certain swears. They don't have kids so it is not like "don't teach the kids those words". 

hahah relationship compromises are weird.

I can swear as much as I want if I want to!

Archived