Becky Chambers is a great read for Aro sci-fi fans

Who else has read Becky Chambers wayfarer series? I think the author is really good at portraying different kinds of relationships and people relating to each other. The first book has a qpr (edit: I realize now I used that wrong, I meant a committed sexual but not romantic relationship) and in the third one off the pov is aro. The second book doesn't really have any specif aro themes but it does deal a lot with friendship and chosen family.

On 12/8/2018 at 8:49 AM, Holmbo said:

Who else has read Becky Chambers wayfarer series? I think the author is really good at portraying different kinds of relationships and people relating to each other. The first book has a qpr and in the third one off the pov is aro. The second book doesn't really have any specif aro themes but it does deal a lot with friendship and chosen family.

the first book has  WHAT! oh hell yeah.... just started reading the long way to a small angry planet and you're right it's so aro friendly and lovely but I had no idea it Got Better... (also can I just say Sissix is a big mood I too have to hold back with affection because the normal humans don't like as much platonic touch.)

I do want to point out that disabled readers may have significant issues with Chambers' endings. As an autistic person it was very painful to see an otherwise very nuanced book uncritically pushing "the best thing for this person is for their loved one(s) to ignore their explicit wishes and this was of course the correct decision."

On 12/24/2018 at 4:23 AM, gravityspiker said:

I do want to point out that disabled readers may have significant issues with Chambers' endings. As an autistic person it was very painful to see an otherwise very nuanced book uncritically pushing "the best thing for this person is for their loved one(s) to ignore their explicit wishes and this was of course the correct decision."

That's a good point. I would like to discuss it more but I don't want to spoil it. Maybe I could make a spoiler discussion thread?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 12:49 AM, Holmbo said:

Who else has read Becky Chambers wayfarer series? I think the author is really good at portraying different kinds of relationships and people relating to each other. The first book has a qpr (edit: I realize now I used that wrong, I meant a committed sexual but not romantic relationship) and in the third one off the pov is aro. The second book doesn't really have any specif aro themes but it does deal a lot with friendship and chosen family.

I'm aro & a huge sci-fi fan. Thanks for the recommend - I'll definitely check those books out! 

Archived