Cee Fox

Aro POCs

When it comes to intersectionality the first thing that comes to mind is people of colour so I thought I'd make a thread for it! 

• Like 4

Thank you, @Cee Fox ! Just to get a topic going I thought I'd share this post I made on Tumblr about the marriage of two famous Bollywood celebrities and how that impacts me as an aro of South Asian descent. I feel like each poc community has distinct, deep-set attitudes toward marriage and these are my thoughts on those in the South Asian community.

• Like 2

I often feel out of place in the LGBT community to begin with as a queer black person. I find that the LGBT community has an overwhelming number of white people for a culture supposedly focused on diversity and acceptance. The number of nonwhite people becomes even less in the bi community, and lesser still on the aspectrum. I just hope this thread can introduce me to other LGBT people of color.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2019 at 11:57 PM, Chibi Sam Winchester said:

I often feel out of place in the LGBT community to begin with as a queer black person. I find that the LGBT community has an overwhelming number of white people for a culture supposedly focused on diversity and acceptance. The number of nonwhite people becomes even less in the bi community, and lesser still on the aspectrum. I just hope this thread can introduce me to other LGBT people of color.

I definitely agree! At my college, which is overwhelmingly white, it's difficult for me to find LGBT+ spaces where I feel truly at home as a black aro/ace female.

• Like 4

I'm not a PoC, but I am hispanic and tired of having to explain to stupid exclusionshit fuckheads why deeming asexuality a "white people thing" is, in fact, extremely racist, because hey! I don't like being subjected to the spicy latina lover stereotype! 🙄

• Like 7

Heya I'm proud to be a Native American (Athabaskan and Inupiaq to be more specific)

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 7:07 AM, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I'm not a PoC, but I am hispanic and tired of having to explain to stupid exclusionshit fuckheads why deeming asexuality a "white people thing" is, in fact, extremely racist, because hey! I don't like being subjected to the spicy latina lover stereotype! 🙄

Some people says that? My optimism about human kind is going down more every day.

Personally I am mixed race though I don't look like I am (I am mistaken for white or arabic, depends on people and haircut,  because of my skin color). But if I'm honest I really don't care about my color and I have only a French culture (except maybe when it comes to food; I won't say I like spicy food but really, the seasoning is different). So I'm not sure I can add anything to the discussion.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, 2 Spirit Cherokee Princess said:

On AVEN I got a warning for standing up to racists.  I hope this site will be different.

Really? That's a shame.

• Like 1

I'm white but I just wanted to mention the book I'm reading: Aro Eros Arrows by Michón Neal. They talk about their experience with being black, aro, asexual, gender nonbinary and aspec. I find it very well written and insightful.

• Thanks 1