Masturdating

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I done this before where I go on a restaurant alone and eat a good meal. but I dont do it anymore cause its too expensive and I really dont have the money for this so now I only do it if im out with a friend and has money or its something special.

(btw was I the only one who read the titel as something complitely different?)

Thinking about it, I just find it kind of odd to think of going out to eat as something luxury or special. Probably because I'm at the university, so I pretty much have to eat out every day. Granted, it's the university cafe, which is the opposite of luxury,so that probably also affects it. 

Oh yeah I masturdated last weekend and went to the movies solo. I had this conversation with my friend about how silly it is for people to gather to watch a movie in the theater. OK, you get to talk about it afterwards. But you could see it separately on different days and theaters and get the same effect.

Other masturdation ideas:

• Bowling... alone, always a winner
  • Putt putt...  alone (hole in one!)
  • Uno... alone, at least nobody would play a Draw Four on you
  • The Zoo... alone, no family discount
  • Wedding crash... alone, be sure to eat a bunch of their expensive cake

I've never heard of this term (admittedly, I read it wrong and came into here thinking it was something else, heh heh....┐(´∀`)┌).

I don't take myself out because I hate being out in public alone. Social anxiety kinda prevents me. So I drag friends along with me!

Yup, masturdating's what I do pretty often. I usually go out to eat alone and very rarely with friends. But I go to the movies with a friend because usually it's something we both want to see. It's just fun to talk about it right away when the movie ends. It's fun alone too like going to conventions and stuff is. Actually, conventions are the best to go alone to because you can go wherever you want, eat whenever and whatever you want and do a lot of things without thinking other people's feelings (I'm too nice and feel guilty if someone feels bored while they have to do things I want to do and they don't) without thinking about anybody else. 

On 08/04/2016 at 7:51 PM, Nope said:

Anyone else besides me do this all the time? I'm going to an art exhibit opening this evening by myself.

Quite a bit, even more so when I was younger.

Find it strange that these would have to be "dating activities". Rather than going to see the art, play, concert, movie, eat the food, etc. Do alloromantics not appreciate these kind of things for their own merits, how sad.

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

Quite a bit, even more so when I was younger.

Find it strange that these would have to be "dating activities". Rather than going to see the art, play, concert, movie, eat the food, etc. Do alloromantics not appreciate these kind of things for their own merits, how sad.

I think they do enjoy these activities alone. But they also enjoy it more to see it with someone else.

On April 19, 2016 at 8:19 PM, Cassiopeia said:

Other activities traditionally seen as romantic, but can be done solo:

Skating

Dancing

Going for a coffee

Stargazing

Hiking/Camping

I love hiking on my own, it's soo much better than having people be bothersome and tag along. 

3 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I think they do enjoy these activities alone. But they also enjoy it more to see it with someone else.

Having company is nice. You get to share the experience, and also, if its something like a festival or a trip to somewhere, having a trusted group makes it a lot more fun, and also safer.

What I don't get is this joined at the hip thing.

Watching my friends in relationships made me realize that they actually miss out quite a bit on their own life because of their partner. Or even have to sit through something unpleasant at the same time.

Its like they give up a part of themselves to conform to the other person?

Just to mention a few stereotypes, how many people were dragged along to football games, clothes shopping, sexist movies because their partner went, so they had to go too? And often they actually miss thing they wanted to do at the same time?

Like when friends who planned to come to this other friend's birthday for months, but they cancel last minute, because their boyfriend's favourite sports team has a match? The other one does not even watch sports, but you know, these are the things you are supposed to bring your partner along too, so they choose the sports game.

Why? What's the point?

16 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Wouldn't it make sense to choose people to go with based on mutual interest and availability.
That it has to be only one person and always the same person (even to very different events and activities) just seems strange.

13 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

What I don't get is this joined at the hip thing.

Watching my friends in relationships made me realize that they actually miss out quite a bit on their own life because of their partner. Or even have to sit through something unpleasant at the same time.

Its like they give up a part of themselves to conform to the other person?

Just to mention a few stereotypes, how many people were dragged along to football games, clothes shopping, sexist movies because their partner went, so they had to go too? And often they actually miss thing they wanted to do at the same time?

Like when friends who planned to come to this other friend's birthday for months, but they cancel last minute, because their boyfriend's favourite sports team has a match? The other one does not even watch sports, but you know, these are the things you are supposed to bring your partner along too, so they choose the sports game.

Also they appear to do this willingly and eagerly. Without appearing to do much in the way of consent negotiation, never mind any kind of "safeword".

I just wouldn't want someone to be doing stuff with me just because they were "partners". When I have tried romantic relationships feeling obliged and pressured to do things I didn't want to was a major factor in wanting out.

• 3 weeks later...

The one thing that sucks about doing things by yourself is that other people are all doing them together. Our end of semester carnival was yesterday and I went by myself because I wanted to go rock climbing and get cotton candy (there was no cotton candy :(). I ran into a couple people I knew and we chatted, but I ending up sitting around by myself for a while and it just sucked that everyone else had people to hang out with and they were all having fun together while I was sitting alone. And one of the guys I ran into was like super shocked I came by myself and felt bad about it. I guess this isn't a dating thing per se, but it is nice to have someone to do stuff with and I was sad I didn't have any one yesterday. 

7 minutes ago, PhysicsOwl said:

The one thing that sucks about doing things by yourself is that other people are all doing them together. Our end of semester carnival was yesterday and I went by myself because I wanted to go rock climbing and get cotton candy (there was no cotton candy :(). I ran into a couple people I knew and we chatted, but I ending up sitting around by myself for a while and it just sucked that everyone else had people to hang out with and they were all having fun together while I was sitting alone. And one of the guys I ran into was like super shocked I came by myself and felt bad about it. I guess this isn't a dating thing per se, but it is nice to have someone to do stuff with and I was sad I didn't have any one yesterday. 

Aww *hugs*

If I don't have a friend to go with at these things, or at least an acquaintance I'm comfortable talking to, I just don't go. I feel too awkward (especially at these things that are supposed to be sort of social events). I always ask my friend to go to plays, carnivals, etc. with me or else I just kind of sit in the corner eating cookies by myself and don't have any fun.

15 hours ago, PhysicsOwl said:

I get where you're coming from with this.  Socially, some things can be awkward to do alone, particularly when everyone else is paired up or in groups, and it's harder to just mingle when you're there.   I personally wouldn't mind going anywhere alone really, but other people can make me feel awkward about it.  Sometimes I go alone anyway, but sometimes I just opt out like @Spud said.  

I went to a rave... sorry.. party all by myself one time. I don't have any friends that enjoy that kind of music. I had a great time actually. I saw Civil War alone last week, which was also cool. I still tend to shy away from eating at a sit down restaurant alone though.

This term is weird to me. I never thought of these activities as inherently romantic, but this term kind of implies that they usually are. It's meant to imply "going on a date by yourself." Of course there is nothing wrong with using these activities as a date, but I wish they weren't seen as inherently romantic. 

On 4/8/2016 at 9:13 PM, arotrash said:

I do it when I can afford it, which is not right now. Although I work at a movie theater so I get to see movies for free. I used to like taking myself out to community events and I probably will again when I become more familiar with the city I'm now living in.

100%

Especially since Life Plans A-Z involve working internationally/nomadically and otherwise traveling for the rest of my unheimlich life.

Archived