Jump to content
DaviM703

Aromantics at community college

Recommended Posts

Hi. I'm in college now at my local community college. I think there are about 4,000 students there. Does anyone have any idea how many aromantics a school that size is likely to include, or how I can figure out who they are? I find it harder to develop friendships/relationships with non-aro people because of their interest in stuff I'm really not into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my university has a pride group, and I've joined it, but there are no aros (sadly). However, aromantic spectrum awareness week is coming up (the week after Valentine's day) and I plan to raise some awareness. There's gotta be a bunch of aromantics out there that don't know who they are yet. Perhaps you would meet some aros if you did the same.

Approximately 4% of the population is aro, although it really depends on what source you look at. (4,000)(0.04)= 160 aromantics in your school. Hope you find some!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go to community college too, and I haven't heard anything about other aros. I know we have an LGBT group, but... I haven't bothered checking them out because they didn't seem especially aspec-inclusive. :/ I have an aro pin on my art supplies bag, but if anyone's noticed it so far, they haven't said anything to me, so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2018 at 12:14 AM, DavidSingle said:

Hi. I'm in college now at my local community college. I think there are about 4,000 students there. Does anyone have any idea how many aromantics a school that size is likely to include, or how I can figure out who they are? I find it harder to develop friendships/relationships with non-aro people because of their interest in stuff I'm really not into.

There's some research which came up with a figure of 1.5% which would give you around 60 people.
Problem is likely to be a lack of awareness, including self awareness, about this. Especially in relation to heterosexual aros, whom are likely to be the majority of the aro population.
I suspect a lot of aros are closeted. Believing the likes of "I'll change", "I suck at relationships", "I'm not ready yet", "I've not met the one" or similar amantonormative propaganda.

 

On 02/02/2018 at 4:20 AM, Naegleria fowleri said:

So my university has a pride group, and I've joined it, but there are no aros (sadly). However, aromantic spectrum awareness week is coming up (the week after Valentine's day) and I plan to raise some awareness. There's gotta be a bunch of aromantics out there that don't know who they are yet. Perhaps you would meet some aros if you did the same.

Approximately 4% of the population is aro, although it really depends on what source you look at. (4,000)(0.04)= 160 aromantics in your school.

I've not encountered 4%, would be higher than many recognised (including legally protected) minority groups.
I suspect the proportion of "out aros" might be closer to one per ten thousand.
 

 

11 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I go to community college too, and I haven't heard anything about other aros. I know we have an LGBT group, but... I haven't bothered checking them out because they didn't seem especially aspec-inclusive.

Not all LGBT groups are inclusive in more general sense.
There's also the issue of how accepting would such groups be of aros. Some can be highly arophobic, especially towards heterosexual aros.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if my answer will count but I would use patches, pins, stickers, or accessories to hint where I am at the aromantic spectrum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I''m also a community college student and I know one other arospec person who attends my college but that's it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually now have a backpack with a diamond pattern in the aromantic colors. I still haven't found anyone who recognizes the colors but I've joined an LGBTQ+ group which I feel like I fit into much better than I fit into the general population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...