Meet the aromantics: ‘I’m not cold – I just don’t have any romantic feelings’

Damn some posts in the comment section of this article… :facepalm:

I'm not a romantic person by any stretch of the imagination myself (well, if you use the Hollywood definition of the term), but I'd never use a term like "aromantic" to describe myself. It seems like every year we're having these new terms added to our vernacular, not because they're actually necessary, but because they're being invented by people who want a special little group to belong to. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of football. Should I go around calling myself afootball now, and trying to establish online communities and a sense of identity around it?

If it only were like football (soccer) with whole nations not interested in it! :P (yeah, and of course, just not being a cliche hopeless romantic like from a Hollywood movie is not remotely what “aromantic” means).

Also, even if the community degenerated to the point where it would only be about exchanging tips how to get casual sex, we would have enough to talk about! xD

I saw this one a few days ago... and yeah, don't read the comments unless you want to be annoyed at people who don't even attempt to try and understand what being aromantic means.   (Although to be fair, not all of them are like that.) 

@cute kitty Meow! Mewo! Put that “collage” safely in a spoiler box? ;)

Also, isn't its pink-tintedness slightly scary?

Is that how it looks like inside of the… Romo-Matrix?

16 hours ago, Star Girl said:

I saw this one a few days ago... and yeah, don't read the comments unless you want to be annoyed at people who don't even attempt to try and understand what being aromantic means.   (Although to be fair, not all of them are like that.) 

Many took great offense that “aromantic” is supposed to be an “identity”… but the word can also be interpreted as a quality, if it refers to orientation (which cannot straightforwardly inferred from behavior, of course). Maybe that's more palatable? xD

And so even on the “how useful is this adjective?”-level “aromantic” seems obviously way more useful than “afootball”. It can be easily described in one short sentence that you are not interested in football. “Aromantic” on the other hand is a nice abbreviation for something which can't be concisely described with the language we have. If only because it's possible to enjoy being in a romantic relationship while still being aromantic.

Of course, as an identity, “aromantic” gets its justification because romantic love has kind of a bit more gravitas to it than football, right? Similarly to religion, where “atheist” as an identity makes sense.

On 14/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, cute kitty Meow! Mewo! said:

I don't understand. those images in the article are predominently of couples in romantic moments.

I noticed that too. Most likely the picture was chosen by an editor rather that the writer.

On 15/10/2017 at 1:41 PM, DeltaV said:

Many took great offense that “aromantic” is supposed to be an “identity”… but the word can also be interpreted as a quality, if it refers to orientation (which cannot straightforwardly inferred from behavior, of course). Maybe that's more palatable? xD

It's also important for people to realise that orientation isn't a matter of personal choice or "lifestyle".

On 15/10/2017 at 1:41 PM, DeltaV said:

And so even on the “how useful is this adjective?”-level “aromantic” seems obviously way more useful than “afootball”. It can be easily described in one short sentence that you are not interested in football. “Aromantic” on the other hand is a nice abbreviation for something which can't be concisely described with the language we have. If only because it's possible to enjoy being in a romantic relationship while still being aromantic.

Of course, as an identity, “aromantic” gets its justification because romantic love has kind of a bit more gravitas to it than football, right? Similarly to religion, where “atheist” as an identity makes sense.

I think religion may be a better analogy than sport.
Since there are places which make following a certain religion almost mandatory.

Reading stuff like that just makes me want to slap someone. It's not about being special, more about finding your own community for support and advice, none of which a non-fan of [the national sport] would really need.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-10-17 at 5:15 PM, Untamed Heart said:

It's not about being special, more about finding your own community for support and advice, none of which a non-fan of [the national sport] would really need.

I dunno, I think some people really seem to feel like they need it. I feel like everytime some big event is coming up (for example a popular tv-show or politics) some people always seem the need to announce as publicly ass possible that they have no interest in it. Maybe those commenters have too many people like that in their facebook feed and they just think "great, more people who need to announce something they don't care about" :D

I hadn't thought about that (mainly cos I swore off FB, or more like ragequit due to idiots lol), I was just thinking about how not being a sports fan wouldn't impact your life as much as aromanticism/asexuality would. That is a good point, though, and actually I can kind of imagine how they might feel - any time anyone mentions Christmas around my dad, he starts sneering his nose up in disgust and acts/talks like Scrooge lol. We think it's more attention seeking behaviour than anything, cos his mood doesn't change in any significant way when the season rolls round.

On 10/14/2017 at 12:22 PM, DeltaV said:

Damn some posts in the comment section of this article… :facepalm:

If it only were like football (soccer) with whole nations not interested in it! :P (yeah, and of course, just not being a cliche hopeless romantic like from a Hollywood movie is not remotely what “aromantic” means).

Also, even if the community degenerated to the point where it would only be about exchanging tips how to get casual sex, we would have enough to talk about! xD

I don't know if I should facepalm, cry, rage or laugh about the comment left from that idiot. If it was legal, a hell of a slap upside the head would be in order (perhaps knocking some sense into that person, in the process).

• 5 months later...

Do you think some of the people who make these comments are aromantic and/or asexual and in denial?

"That butterflies, giddy, can't stop thinking about them, in love, stuff, etc.

That stuff never happens to a lot of people. It doesn't mean they're unusual in any way, it just means it's never happened." 

-onona

Sometimes I wonder if, when people say what's just been described to them is completely normal and doesn't need to be labelled, they are taking that stand point because it is completely normal to them. 

Archived