Zema

Scariest movies for you as a child

*semi graphic gore description* Bones (the tv show) terrified me (especially the scene where the guy came out of the closet and slit someone's throat), and before that, there was that one scene in Monk (tv show) where the elephant smashed the guy's head like a watermelon. eugh.

Oh boy, the first movie I watched in cinema was "Tangled" and I was so scared I had to leave during the movie. I wasn't able to rewatch it until I was 15.

Also, this whole "Hunger Games" thing (I can't remember the name right now, the movie with Katniss Everdeen) freaked me out so much, I had nightmares for years afterwards, even when I started watching scarier movies, that is still the scariest one I've seen so far.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:17 AM, DeltaV said:

Natural Born Killers

Dude, if there's any external reasons I'm ace, it'd be that movie. 

A movie that caused reoccurring nightmares was The Changeling. I watched it when I was like 6 and could only remember the nightmare I had until age 14, when I watched it and realized that it was the movie. Adam Sandler's That's My Boy sexually traumatized me too.

Posted (edited)

I was scared of a lot of odd things as I child. The first thing I thought of for this was the dead-Mufasa's-head-in-the-clouds scene from Lion King. It scared the shit out of both my brother and I. We would run and hide when that scene came up, and then take turns to check if it was over. I still think that scene is really powerful, and it is possible that some of that power comes from the fact that it scared me as a child.

Reading this thread and watching some of the videos also reminded me of other things that frightened me. Snow White was mentioned previously, but what scared me with that was the hunter, who comes to kill her and fails, followed by the scene in the forest, where the trees have fingers that grab at her. I was even (allegedly, it was very early and I don't have that strong memories of the time) scared of a friend of the family, who had similar facial hair as the hunter in Snow White. A sweet man who did not at all mean to scare small children, and yet I freaked out when I saw him.

And oh my lord, that Pingu dream sequence brought up in one of the linked videos. I had forgotten about that, but it was horrifically scary. The snorting laugh, the way it ate the bed.

And oh god, the Brave Little Toaster. I had that movie. It had some moments. One scene that was not brought up in the video is one where, I think, they are all swept away by a river, except the vacuum cleaner, who is left alone, thinking all the others are dead.

Edited by Jedi

I'm often more afraid of reality than fantasy.

There was one social riot scene in the movie Germinal that shocked the hell out of me when I was 14. It was a very realistic French movie. A teacher showed it to us at school (this guy was nuts) because it was relevant for the history of our local mining industry. I had my guard down as it was at school so I was not expecting too disturbing content. It hit me harder because of that. There was sex and enough violence to make it 18+.