The Quoi Thread

Coyote

Just in case anyone goes searching Arocalypse for quoi stuff, and to introduce anyone who's not familiar, here's a handy roundup of quoi things:

Origins

Here's a really detailed timeline of where the term came from, and here's a summary:

• Wtfromantic (as in what-the-fuck-romantic) started getting used (jokingly, at first) in 2011
  • Quoiromantic, as an alternative way to say wtfromantic, was suggested in 2012
  • It's based on "quoi" (kwa), the French word for "what"
  • It can be used to describe:
    • a ??? response to the concept of romance
    • not using or not getting the concept of romantic orientation
    • actively disidentifying with romantic orientation as a sensible/applicable category
    • finding the romantic vs. nonromantic distinction inaccessible, inapplicable, non-sensical, etc.

Related & Similar Terms

Are quoiromantics on the aro spectrum?

Short answer: Some are, some aren't.

Long answer: Individual quoiromantics will have different answers to this question. Last year I conducted an informal survey and found that -- at least out of my respondent sample, which was noticeably skewed toward aces and aros -- a majority of wtf/quoiromantics answer "Do you identify on the aromantic spectrum?" with "Yes," but there was also a not-insignificant number who answered "No," "My answer is not yes or no," and "Unsure" (all together, these answers add up to more than a quarter for those who identify strongest with wtf/quoiromanticism out of a predetermined list). A number of these respondents like the word "aromantic," too, so any time you say something is for "aromantics," you should anticipate that you might have some quoiros show up.

So while quoiromanticism is not just a subset of the aro spectrum, there's an important amount of overlap, as well.

Arocalypse is an aro forum; are there any quoiro forums?

Not currently! Online, you're most likely to find us hanging around places with a high density of aros and/or aces, like AVEN, Arocalypse, and parts of Tumblr and Pillowfort -- dedicated quoiro spaces aren't really a thing right now

Are there other kinds of quoi identities?

Yep! The quoi- prefix can be used on just about anything, which is how people have derived terms like quoigender, quoigenic, and quoisexual.

Just as examples, here are a few personal narratives from aro quoisexuals:

• Like 4

On 2/13/2020 at 4:46 PM, Coyote said:

Are quoiromantics on the aro spectrum?

Short answer: Some are, some aren't.

Long answer: Individual quoiromantics will have different answers to this question. Last year I conducted an informal survey and found that -- at least out of my respondent sample, which was noticeably skewed toward aces and aros -- a majority of wtf/quoiromantics answer "Do you identify on the aromantic spectrum?" with "Yes," but there was also a not-insignificant number who answered "No," "My answer is not yes or no," and "Unsure" (all together, these answers add up to more than a quarter for those who identify strongest with wtf/quoiromanticism out of a predetermined list). A number of these respondents like the word "aromantic," too, so any time you say something is for "aromantics," you should anticipate that you might have some quoiros show up.

Another part of the long answer would include "What do you mean by spectrum?". Since not all spectra are one dimensional like the EM spectrum.

On 2/13/2020 at 4:46 PM, Coyote said:

Are there other kinds of quoi identities?

Yep! The quoi- prefix can be used on just about anything, which is how people have derived terms like quoigender, quoigenic, and quoisexual.

Other examples would be quoiplationic, quoiaesthetic and quoisensual.

It's in some ways curious that quoi isn't used more often when addressing false dichotomies. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mark said:

Another part of the long answer would include "What do you mean by spectrum?". Since not all spectra are one dimensional like the EM spectrum.

Other examples would be quoiplationic, quoiaesthetic and quoisensual.

It's in some ways curious that quoi isn't used more often when addressing false dichotomies. 

I've actually also seen it used in the sense of voluntary vs. involuntary identity arguments in alterhuman communities (quoiluntary) as well as being used in reference to belief vs nonbelief in God/gods (quoitheist -- "my relationship to G?d cannot be defined by the ideas of belief or nonbelief" was the original way it way to me). It's definitely making it's way around other communities and other contexts and it's exciting!

On 2/13/2020 at 5:46 PM, Coyote said:

Schroromantic is an adaptation of the term Schroedinger's dating

A few questions about schroromanticism:

(1) If the word is, at the end, an analogy to Schroedinger’s cat, is the schroromantic person in something analogous to a quantum state like ψ = 1/√ 2 ( |romantic+ |aromantic〉)?

(2) Can it be some other combination of those eigenstates? Or is it, as above 50% - 50% ? Maybe it’s rather ψ = x |romantic+ y |aromantic〉) with x² + y² = 1.

(3) Is there something corresponding to the collapse of the wave function?

Yes, I'm really wondering if I missed something. I haven’t seen anything that corresponds to the wave function collapse by quantum measurement in the description of schroromanticism!?

(4) But if there is indeed some kind of collapse of the schroromantic’s wave function, what happens after that? Repeated quantum measurements afterwards would yield the same eigenvalue (0 or 1) or eigenstate (either be |romanticor |aromantic). Just like with Schrödinger’s cat: |deador |alive!

(5) Yes, (3) and (4) do fit for Schroedinger’s dating where people can look back at the event afterwards, and then can determine what it truly was. Again, how does this apply to schroromanticism?

2 hours ago, nixian_hound said:

I've actually also seen it used in the sense of voluntary vs. involuntary identity arguments in alterhuman communities (quoiluntary) as well as being used in reference to belief vs nonbelief in God/gods (quoitheist -- "my relationship to G?d cannot be defined by the ideas of belief or nonbelief" was the original way it way to me). It's definitely making it's way around other communities and other contexts and it's exciting!

quio-* seems, if we want an analogy to quantum mechanics, more like the particle-wave duality.

• 1 month later...