Aromantic irony

I feel like in our over sexualised/romanticised world there is allot of culture that doesn't apply to those of us on the Aro spectrum. Sometimes these things are pretty easy to pass by and sometimes are just way in your face. My favourites are times when something is made funny or ironic because I'm seeing it/faced with it from an Aro perspective.

What are some of your favourite experiences with Aromantic irony?

I'll start: I love being 'target advertised' dating sites. 1000s of UK singles waiting just for me :rofl:

We were doing an exercise around denotation vs. connotation in my lit class, and one of the things we were iooking at was Valentine's Day... which has a very different connotation for me as an aro than for the rest of the class :rofl:

14 minutes ago, Shroomie said:

The discounted chocolate right after Valentine's Day is pretty cool :P

I always thought if I was in a relationship we should celebrate valentines like 3 days later and make use of all the discounted romo crap :D

Whenever slam poets ask the audience if they want to hear love poems.

Audience: **loud cheering**
Me, internally: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I will confess that I automatically tune out 5 seconds into any romance poem because almost all of them sound generic, slightly toxic, and the same

Moments when my friend spots a "hot" person and asks me if I saw them, and I'm like "wait, what person where?"

Or when there's a picture or video of some model wearing less than necessary, and my friend is like "mmmmmmmmmm" and I just laugh.

I guess those are more ace irony? I dunno. :P 

Plots in awesome TV shows - 2 characters are getting along great, and I'm thinking they have an awesome friendship, and my friend comments "I guess those two are going to end up together"... and I'm like "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Why'd you have to ruin it?!"

On 16 May 2017 at 1:42 PM, SamwiseLovesLife said:

I'll start: I love being 'target advertised' dating sites. 1000s of UK singles waiting just for me :rofl:

Hmm, what can I do with all of those? Will they be my minions? I wouldn't mind an army of willing slaves to do all my work for me :D

17 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

Plots in awesome TV shows - 2 characters are getting along great, and I'm thinking they have an awesome friendship, and my friend comments "I guess those two are going to end up together"... and I'm like "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Why'd you have to ruin it?!"

All the time D:::::

Ooooh so many irony in the life of an aromantic person  :

• I give better advices about love and relationships by pure logic and observation than the majority of my alloromantic friends.
  • Like many of you have said : Valentine's Day is an excuse for me to get more chocolate at lower cost
  • When you're at a party and you participe in a a less sexual 'never I have ever', and of course the maint topic would be romance and you humble servant (aka me) would remain sober while all the others would get smashed. And at the end of the party I have a clear head and several compromising photos of my friends :P

9 hours ago, sarcastic kitten said:

When you're at a party and you participe in a a less sexual 'never I have ever', and of course the maint topic would be romance and you humble servant (aka me) would remain sober while all the others would get smashed. And at the end of the party I have a clear head and several compromising photos of my friends :P

This is pure evil.. I love it :evilgrin:

13 hours ago, sarcastic kitten said:

I give better advices about love and relationships by pure logic and observation than the majority of my alloromantic friends.

This. There was one week last year where I wound up getting roped into giving like 3 different people relationship advice, and despite my immediate reaction of "...you do realize you're asking the actual least qualified person in existence here, right?", I've been told it was good advice? *shrugs*

Stumbling upon articles about red flags in relationships or DOs and DON'Ts of a healthy relationship and getting puzzled as to how so many people can possibly be unaware or those because to you, every idea presented is as obvious as the fact that 2+2=4. :-?

16 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

This. There was one week last year where I wound up getting roped into giving like 3 different people relationship advice, and despite my immediate reaction of "...you do realize you're asking the actual least qualified person in existence here, right?", I've been told it was good advice? *shrugs*

I feel like it's partly because we look at it from a logical standpoint rather than 'rose-tinted glasses'

Interpreting things differently than most people can have some funny moments. The look of confusion on people's faces when I respond to them in ways they totally didn't expect is priceless.

Like if someone said "Love is in the air!" I'd say something like "ew, get me a gas mask!".

Or when someone asked me what I wanted to do for Valentine's day, I said "Go to the dentist".

Also, a friend showed me this meme:

Q: What is your idea of the perfect date?

A: DD/MM/YYYY.... other formats are too confusing.

On 5/23/2017 at 10:58 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

Apparently I give good advice about relaonships too. At one point I was with a group of friends who all have dated some one before and for some reason I was the one who, according to the person looking for advice, helped the most.

On 25/05/2017 at 4:03 PM, SoulWolf said:

Or when someone asked me what I wanted to do for Valentine's day, I said "Go to the dentist".

This actually sounds like a good plan.. like everyone is eating chocolate and getting cavaties, we're fixing our teeth.

Also all the cynical dentists will be working as the romo ones are at home.. you can bond over non romo things :P

• 2 months later...

I have facilitated a polyamory discussion group for over three years, and not being able to relate to half the things people say there about relationships and attraction is what made me realize that I'm aromantic.

#aromanticirony

On 5/23/2017 at 5:08 AM, sarcastic kitten said:

I give better advices about love and relationships by pure logic and observation than the majority of my alloromantic friends.

This, although it depends on the topic. Like, if you want advice on how to get someone to like you, I'm the last person you should ask. But spotting toxic signs in a relationship? Bring it on.

On 23/05/2017 at 3:08 AM, sarcastic kitten said:
  • When you're at a party and you participe in a a less sexual 'never I have ever', and of course the maint topic would be romance and you humble servant (aka me) would remain sober while all the others would get smashed. And at the end of the party I have a clear head and several compromising photos of my friends :P

I'd be unsure if that should be considered "ironic" or "annoying". Anyway think the game works better with a set of question cards. Rather than having players trying to think up questions on the spot, especially as the game progresses :)

On 07/08/2017 at 9:14 AM, Eklinaar said:

I have facilitated a polyamory discussion group for over three years, and not being able to relate to half the things people say there about relationships and attraction is what made me realize that I'm aromantic.

Took me rather longer to work out why the whole thing was so couple centric as well as why so many other people struggled with things I found trivially obvious.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:49 AM, hippiecat said:

This, although it depends on the topic. Like, if you want advice on how to get someone to like you, I'm the last person you should ask. But spotting toxic signs in a relationship? Bring it on.

I've noticed this as well. People have asked me in the past whether it seems as though someone is romantically interested in them, and I'm always at a loss because...seriously? You're asking the aro this question??? I wouldn't know romantic interest if it walked up to me and tried to sell me a vacuum cleaner.

On the other hand, I'm also a popular source of advice on how to break up with people, so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2017 at 9:49 AM, hippiecat said:

YESSS ! You're totally right ! If someone want advice on how to start an alloromantic situation, my brain will do the 'Error 404 : idea not found'. But whatever advice on a relationship, be it a short, a medium or an long one and I'll be spouting nonsense that do the job and work for them O.o ...

• 1 month later...

here's a coincidence.  ok so what you need to know is i play tennis.  when calling the score, 'love' means zero, ex. 30-0 is thirty-love.  there's this joke most tennis players are familiar with which goes: "never date a tennis player; to them, love means nothing".  get it?  well, in my case (if you take 'love' to mean romantic love), it's like a double joke because both parts of the double entendre are true.  i considered coming out to my bf at the time by following this joke with "yeah, funny thing is..." but i do have some tact so i saved it for later.  

• 9 months later...

Archived