Gender in Dreams

Star Girl

Do you ever have dreams where you are a different gender in your dream and/or are in a different body?  

I had one last night that has been bothering me... not only did I have a body that was definitely male (and it was just kind of there... I don't think it bothered me or anything), I was also definitely not asexual, which made things even more strange.  

Thoughts?  Experiences?  Whatever? 

While I don't think I've ever been a different gender in my dreams I've definitely had ones where I have a 'male' body; I always assumed it had something to do with being trans. Its a pleasant experience for dream-me to have the body I don't in reality, even if it was weird. Of course, waking up to find I'm still stuck with the same parts I don't want is very unpleasant.

It happened to me twice. In my first dream I was a boy but I didn't feel like it's my body, more like watching a movie. In the other dream, at the beginning I felt like 90% male but this number was decreasing as the dream continued and in the end I felt half female and half male. In both dreams I had a girlfriend (in first one I kissed her, in the second my best friend was my girlfriend and I made a sexual innuendo).

I kind of feel agender in mine, like I'm concentrating on my role in the story or what's going on (if I'm even 'aware' of being an observer/participant in the first place) rather than myself. In real life, I have actually voice acted a male role in a stop motion animation series I helped to make for Mind!

Most of the times I don't remember my dreams. But when I do, I'm a male 95 per cent of the time. And I don't even think it's weird or anything, weither it is in my dreams or when I wake up.

I totally love my female parts (exept the monthly blood that come out of my vagina and the pain always associated) and I've got no gender dysphoria at all. But if I am given an opportunity to became a male, I would totally do it by curiosity and I wouldn't even regret it after.

Intersting topic. So does gender mean just what body you have in the dream or can it be other things.

Most of the time I'm not aware of my body at all (except sometimes in nightmares when I try to run and my legs don't work). Two times I've had sex dreams and then I had a female body.

When I was younger I often dreamt that I was other people. Like the dream would start by me being a spectator of a story, like watching a movie, seeing different people doing things, often characters from a book or movie, but then it would change so that I was the main character. But I still was myself I think, I was just in that persons role.

On 13/05/2017 at 10:22 AM, Holmbo said:

When I was younger I often dreamt that I was other people. Like the dream would start by me being a spectator of a story, like watching a movie, seeing different people doing things, often characters from a book or movie, but then it would change so that I was the main character. But I still was myself I think, I was just in that persons role.

I do this allot too! I sometimes dream as myself, nowadays more than previously. Possibly because I am more comfortable/sure about who I am now?

• 2 months later...
On 08/05/2017 at 8:38 AM, Confidential_Con said:

While I don't think I've ever been a different gender in my dreams I've definitely had ones where I have a 'male' body; I always assumed it had something to do with being trans. Its a pleasant experience for dream-me to have the body I don't in reality, even if it was weird. Of course, waking up to find I'm still stuck with the same parts I don't want is very unpleasant.

^ Always *sigh*

On 15/05/2017 at 4:08 PM, brsajo said:

I dreamed I was a male pony and I was playing pokemon with a female version of pony me. 

Your dreams are badass. Let me join? :D

My body is often slightly different in my dreams.  I'm pretty comfortable with my body IRL, and I don't experience any dysphoria about my body, though I do have a lot of anxiety about gender in other ways.  In my dreams, I usually have less body hair, and the shape of my body is more androgynous.  It's never a major point of the dream, it's simply true and comfortable.

It's like gender and sex don't exist in my dreams. In every dream that I remember it's just not a thing I think about or notice etc. It's as if my body is completely sexlessand so is everyone else. All sex characteristics primary and secondary seem to be completely gone. Nobody ever seemed to have a specific gender or at least I didn't know about it. I also think that I've never experienced pronouns being used for people in my dreams. The only actual experience of gender in my dreams was about a spider (not a nightmare, it was a friendly spider) and I just knew the spider was s he. No reason, I just knew it, which was kinda weird for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had some weird dreams in my time but mostly I don't notice a gender (I have had dreams where I was a house cat and other things), and when I do it has been female (mainly when I have been reading/watching too many historical dramas so I don't really notice body gender but rather the massive dresses I wear in the dream)

Archived