Hello

starstuff

Hi all.  I'm Starstuff.  I'm 27, female, aroace.   I've never really been on a forum before, so we'll see how this goes.

I was excited to find this site since I've never actually ever met or spoken with another aro or ace person that I've been aware of...  Most of my friends are LGBTQ, but even they don't really understand and it gets lonely.  

Figured out I was ace from a fanfic sometime after college.  (Before that I would just tell people that no life decision I had ever made was motivated by sex and that I didn't need to date to be happy.) I had never heard the term and I was reading a fic with an Ace character and freaking out the whole time, ha ha.  From there, I delved through the Internet and found the term Aro too.  Came out to my best friend/sister and she was like "well, obviously."  Would have been great if she had told ME, but.

Not really sure what else to say here, ha ha.

I guess interests.... Uh, I like sewing and making chainmaille.  Reading, video games, baking, cooking, and D&D.  Your standard geek masquerading as an Independant, Successful Adult.

Hi and welcome @starstuff

(like the username, by the way - Carl Sagan's books were a big factor in getting me interested in science as a kid :) )

19 hours ago, starstuff said:

I've never really been on a forum before, so we'll see how this goes

It should be fine - people here seem pretty chill ;) 

@NullVector. I've always been a gigantic science nerd, especially regarding astronomy, physics, and weather.  If I had any skill in math I might have gone into astronomy or meterology in college.  Alas, I ended up being a social sciences nerd, ha ha.

And thanks for the welcome. :)

@NullVector.  Ha ha ha!  Funny that you say that....Actually I have a Bachelors in Anthropology, a Bachelor's in Japanese, and a Masters in Museum studies to round it off.  So I dove for the social sciences and never really came up for air.  (I somehow managed to never take another math class after graduating high school...)  I'll have to check out that thread you linked when I have more time, too!

You said you're into science, yourself.  What area?

@Star Girl. I like your name too!  That's an awesome icon too...  I'm really hoping my contract on this house works out because I'm planning on getting canvas prints of NASA images instead of normal artwork for my walls!  And I kind of wish I could somehow be a permanent student and go back for an astronomy degree too!  I'm jealous!

As for books...I mainly read fantasy, scifi, and anthropology/theoretical physics books, but I'll occasionally pick up a non-fiction/historical book too.  Currently rereading The Lord of the Rings for about the 5th time and then next up is my copy of Origins by Neil DeGrasse Tyson that just arrived in the mail!  If you're into astronomy and reading too, have you tried Michio Kaku's The Physics of the Impossible?  It's all about crazy scifi things like force fields and lightsabers and it explores how close we can get with real physics and in theory.  Pretty fun.

23 hours ago, starstuff said:

You said you're into science, yourself.  What area?

Well, I did a PhD in theoretical physics. But that was a few years back, so I've forgotten most of it now :D

On 4/27/2017 at 5:06 PM, James said:

You make Chainmail? I'm into historical european martial arts. You have my attention.

Ha ha.  I made a simple 4-in-1 style hauberk by hand.  I don't have a forge or anvil so it's abutted rings, not riveted. 

Now that I've finally finished it (working on it on and off sporadically for two years...) I had a chance to look at some actual medieval armor in a museum and realized my pattern of attachment at the shoulder joints is off so I have to go back and fix it!   xD  Once I finish moving into my new house I can set up my sewing room and make a gambison for it too. 

After that, I was thinking of attempting a coif...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

@James  Sorry!  I completely missed you request for pictues.  Here's a couple!  The plate mail I bought online from some guy in Ukraine.  Had to re-bend it slightly to fit me cause I am a tiny female, but it works alright.

20170909_110135.jpg

20170909_110732.jpg

@James

My friends and I visit the local Renaissance Faire a couple of times a year, so I usually end up wearing it for that, and for Halloween, ha ha.  Plus my best friend makes and sells custom costume pieces, particularly medieval style stuff, and I end up being her model a lot, so I use it for that sometimes too.

I've been invited to a LARPing event, but it's such a time commitment.  I think the armor is actually qualified for it if I wanted to though.

Archived