What are you reading?

Finally got a chance to read something other than a webcomic for pleasure, and so I just finished Foundation (by Isaac Asimov) a couple of days ago--I've been lugging around the really nice omnibus of all three volumes of the trilogy on every trip I've taken since I got it, and only just now got around to reading it.

I'm reading You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sherman Alexie. It's sort of an assembly of pieces he wrote about his mother and his childhood on an Indian reservation in Spokane, Washington.

It's somehow both hilarious and exceedingly sad. He's an excellent writer from what I've seen so far.

• 2 months later...

i've just started john green's 'turtles all the way down'.  i'll keep you posted as to what it's like on the romantic front.  but, @Skittles87, i agree--i've read all of john's books except for one collaboration and i just love him.  even when there's romance (often), it doesn't detract from the experience for me, which is saying something.  his stories are always ABOUT something besides relationships of any kind; they just tie in nicely.  i never have any doubt that i'll thoroughly enjoy his work. 

I'm reading Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I started it ages ago but haven't finished it yet. It's about behavioral science and decision making and very interesting but feels a bit long winded or bloated at some places. I feel like popular science books often are.

I'm reading The Prince, by Machiavelli. It's a political treatise explaining that the aims of princes – such as glory and survival – can justify the use of immoral means to achieve those end . 

Really interesting and seen as very innovative at the time. (Thank you Assassin's Creed II for showing me this beautiful character !)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 6:28 PM, sarcastic kitten said:

I'm reading The Prince, by Machiavelli.

and continuing with the teen1 rebellion clichés, I'm reading “On the Genealogy of Morality” by Friedrich Nietzsche.

1 okay, I'm not a teen

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/02/2018 at 5:37 PM, DeltaV said:

and continuing with the teen1 rebellion clichés, I'm reading “On the Genealogy of Morality” by Friedrich Nietzsche.

1 okay, I'm not a teen

Oooh Nietzsche uh ? One of my friend is kind of crazy about him so I kind of know what it's about but I still have to read his works

I'm reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It's about a Nigerian woman who moves to the US. It also follows her former boyfriend some and his move to UK. 

It's unusual for me to be that into books that are so focused on relationship rather than plot. But I really love this one, one of the best I've read all year. I'm so curious about how it will end. 

• 1 month later...

I'm reading "The Wind in the Willows". I never read it as a kid but watched a couple of the animated films so the story and some of the dialogue is very familiar. It's beautifully written. :) 

From Bacteria to Bach and Back by Daniel C. Dennett.

The culmination (or so he says) of his work.

Anyone else read it? A challenge to your self-affirming beliefs? Or more a challenge to your patience? ?

?

I've been reading The Mirage by Matt Ruff. It's about this alternative reality were the most powerfull country in the world is th United Arab State. It's very interesting but kinda heavy for me. I took a break with John Scalzis Readshirts which was a fun breezy read.

Right now I'm re-reading the final arc of Hikaru no Go. It's one of my all time favorite manga, but I originally read it at my local library and don't actually own most of it, so I haven't read the Hokuto Cup arc in about 6 years or so. I figured May would be an appropriate time to revisit it, and oh man it is just as good as I remember... My beautiful sons... Yeongha why are you like this pls

The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I've read it a year ago and there was this exchange at the beginning between the narrator, Ned, and Gladys, woman, who is being proposed to. It stuck with me since then and I didn't even know I'm aromantic at that time. (Early signs... or something...) ?

~So far my thoughts had carried me, and I was about to break the long and uneasy silence, when two critical, dark eyes looked round at me, and the proud head was shaken in smiling reproof. "I have a presentiment that you are going to propose, Ned. I do wish you wouldn't; for things are so much nicer as they are."

I drew my chair a little nearer. "Now, how did you know that I was going to propose?" I asked in genuine wonder.

"Don't women always know? Do you suppose any woman in the world was ever taken unawares? But—oh, Ned, our friendship has been so good and so pleasant! What a pity to spoil it! Don't you feel how splendid it is that a young man and a young woman should be able to talk face to face as we have talked?"~

(Please ignore one hugely problematic sentence in there, I'm not going to talk about that - but that's always the problem with old books...). Anyways, I remember reading the highlighted sentence and screaming internally "same! mood! me! relatable af!" (insert whatever expression was "in" year ago). Jeez, so many spoiled friendships because of getting romance-zoned. Gladys is woke! ?

Archived