Aromantic Spectrum/Umbrella (Term: Acoromantic)

Zer99

Hi guys, I was wondering if you considered/heard of the term Acoromantic being apart of the aromantic spectrum. The definition is a person who has had negative experiences with romance/relationships and has kept them from their alloromantism.

Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doubtful about including stuff that is explicitly trauma related as sexual identities. If you want something but trauma has made you afraid to seek it out, that's something that should probably be dealt with in counselling.

• 6 months later...

I have heard of it but it was on a master list of all romantic orientations, it wasn't specifically put with the other aro-spectrum terms. I think it is somewhat like Requi(es)romantic – 
Is someone who feels little to no romantic attraction due to some mental or emotional exhaustion, the exhaustion might have been caused by bad experiences of romance during that person's history.

With Requiesromantic and Acoromantic, where you are pushed onto the aro-spectrum by events out of your control and it seriously effects you in this way, I wonder why you use these terms rather than re-evaluate your orientation? Understanding that there is a flux to these things for some people, if functionally you have become aromantic why not use that term? I am just curious you don't actually have to answer anything, these terms seem like acknowledging that something has changed (broken) and there is the possibility of it changing back (being fixed) through time, experience or therapy? and 

On 02/02/2017 at 0:41 AM, Zer99 said:

has kept them from their alloromantism.

does this mean you no longer feel desire to engage in alloromantism (sort of like Apathromantic)? or is there seriously no more romantic attraction (possibly no more platonic attraction either)?

18 minutes ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

I have heard of it but it was on a master list of all romantic orientations, it wasn't specifically put with the other aro-spectrum terms. I think it is somewhat like Requi(es)romantic – 
Is someone who feels little to no romantic attraction due to some mental or emotional exhaustion, the exhaustion might have been caused by bad experiences of romance during that person's history.

With Requiesromantic and Acoromantic, where you are pushed onto the aro-spectrum by events out of your control and it seriously effects you in this way, I wonder why you use these terms rather than re-evaluate your orientation? Understanding that there is a flux to these things for some people, if functionally you have become aromantic why not use that term? I am just curious you don't actually have to answer anything, these terms seem like acknowledging that something has changed (broken) and there is the possibility of it changing back (being fixed) through time, experience or therapy? and 

does this mean you no longer feel desire to engage in alloromantism (sort of like Apathromantic)? or is there seriously no more romantic attraction (possibly no more platonic attraction either)?

You make valid point and I do feel like Requiesromantic relates to me as well because of my anxiety anf i have just  used the term Aromantic because of the complexity of Acoromantism, and I often think about it because I can feel romance but im constantly worrying in the relationship and YES it can be overcome or fixed like you said but thats something that scares me. I can become alloromantic i feel, and i know this because you can be alloromantic and acoromantic and whatnot. And i think i use the terms because they best fit me, and this is the closest thing ill get to an answer because ppl in straight or lesbian communities dont have words for this. If I didn't answer something you didn't understand we can still talk.

@Zer99 I'm glad you found a label that fits! My sexual attraction history seems to have stumped people on AVEN so my label on that is vague. Even if I do find a word it is likely to be obscure, so I understand your feelings in using aro because of the complexity of acoro! 

I would like to know more about it, I am new to the a-community so I and curious about everything. Do you relate to a lot of the stuff on this site? there are lots of romance repulsed aro-spectrum people talking about their experiences on different topics, do you feel a repulsion? or is it more of a worry/fear like you said before that (I'm bad at words) kills the attraction? 

Yeah mostly it is the fear and worry, im not repulsed by it. Usually I can never identify with the repulsed community but i understand where they come from. Im usually open to romance, its when my anxiety comes into play that I start doubting the relationship or i start doubting about getting into a relationship from the start

*hugs back* thanks and not really, friendships come really easy to me. I don't feel like i have much to worry about until something happens and it ends.

Archived