Is there an aromantics day?

Holmbo

As far as I know, there is not one day, but a whole week~

Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week is usually the week after valentines day, so it should be  20-26th february this year~

41 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Hmm this sounds like a good time to get some new people to come visit this site. Does anybody have some good ideas on how we could achieve that?

We could use it as an excuse to invite people on facebook aro pages. : P ;D There's >1k people on one I'm a part of, and the majority have no idea about arocalypse. I've directed people here upon them asking, though.

On 2017-01-21 at 10:28 AM, Zae said:

Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week is usually the week after valentines day, so it should be  20-26th february this year~

That's great :) Thank's for the info.

It feels a bit weird that it is specifically by valentines day though. Shouldn't it be around something we aromantics value rather than something we don't? Kinda like if atheist were doing atheist awareness week the week after easter.

@Holmbo The first aro week that I remember actually took place a week or two after Asexual Awareness Week, but I believe it was changed to the week after Valentine's Day for several reasons:

1) To avoid further conflation of aromanticism and asexuality, since the weeks were so close together

2) Because having it right after Valentine's Day is ironic and therefore funny

3) To lessen the pain of Valentine's Day by giving us something to look forward to immediately after and therefore a reason to power through it

4) As a way to take back that week and say "hey, we're here, platonic love is important too, don't throw us under the bus"

5) To piss off alloromantics

6) Valentine's Day wasn't always about romantic love and in many places is about friends and/or family, so it's our way of taking it back

Hope that helps explain why it takes place then! I'm excited. :aroicecream:

• 9 months later...
On 23/01/2017 at 7:41 AM, techno-trashcan said:

The first aro week that I remember actually took place a week or two after Asexual Awareness Week, but I believe it was changed to the week after Valentine's Day for several reasons:

Oh that makes sense, I had just found a picture notification that must have been done for the first aro week and the date was in November - literally this week. That confused me, but knowing it wasn't always February explains everything. 

• 1 month later...

try to raise awareness whenever it's both possible and safe, some people write stuff or make art, celebrate on here with other aros! it's hard because no one really knows about it outside of internet spaces, but if any of you are in the position to do so, maybe plan a local meet-up in your area?

i haven't seen anything yet but i'm assuming it's happening the week after valentine's day again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2018 at 6:15 PM, Naegleria fowleri said:

When all the candy goes on discount after Valentine's day buy a bunch of mini Aero bars and hand them out with pamphlets.

That sounds like an awesome idea! 

This is going to be my first aromantic awareness week as well and I'm so excited

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:28 AM, Zae said:

I fuck yeah imma be celebrating!! :rofl::beer:

• 1 year later...

Archived